Long War for Mac OS/X - pointers / advice?

thither

Hi.

I noticed that the new OSX released a few days ago is not compatible with the mac installer. Is there anyone that can update xcode to OSX 11.0?

I have installed Yosemite on a machine, but haven't had time to check out the installer on it yet (I will hopefully have time this weekend). Are you getting an error?

(The installer is written in standard python, and the version of python included in OS/X hasn't changed too much from Mavericks to Yosemite, so I'm hoping it will still work correctly.)

Yeah the error is:

This installation of Xcode 4.2.1 requires Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

and

Xcode encountered an internal logic error. Choose "Continue" to continue running Xcode in an inconsistent state. Choose "Crash" to halt Xcode and file a bug with Crash Reporter. Choosing "Crash" will result in the loss of all unsaved data.

(Upon reflecting upon error message)

Ouch. actually it looks like the error is on my end. Carry on with this awesome mod. I'll wait for the new version to come out for xcode.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello

I get this message when trying to install Long War b14 on my Mac (Steam version for Enemy Within)

usage: dirname path

I unpacked the zip in my download folder (is it right?), after installing Xcode 6.1 which I did not have, then dragged the relevant script for OS X into the shell appearing after launching Terminal. What I am doing wrong?

I use Maverick 10.9.5

I already posted on reddit but thought posting it in here could help more people, and be faster, in case my problem is solved. Apologies for the possible doubloon.

Edited by TelmoBJ

Can you post the entire contents of the terminal window?

It seems there's something going wrong with the script picking up where it's being ran. Looking through the script, I think it might happen if you have spaces in the path; that's a stupid mistake and I'll get someone to fix it eventually, but for now can you try unpacking the script to /tmp, or some other directory path where names would not have spaces around?

If that's difficult, you can try modifying the script instead:

The line

MOD_DATA_DIR="`dirname $0`/install-files"

should instead say

MOD_DATA_DIR="`dirname "$0"`/install-files"

(note the extra quotes around $0).

LMK if either of these helps.

Hi Anderkent!

A couple of us on the other forum are having an issue with the long war mod on mac n We were advised to seek help here. I have tried reinstalling and following the troubleshooting steps (run steam offline and disabling cloud sync) but to no avail.

The issue is that the game crashes to desktop every time we try to 'level' up a soldier (i.e. selecting a perk from PFC to SPEC).

I copied the front half of the crash data, hopefully it would be useful to debug!

Incident Identifier: [TODO]

CrashReporter Key: [TODO]
Hardware Model: MacBookPro8,2
Process: XCOM Enemy Withi [4157]
Path: /Users/Benjamin/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/XCom-Enemy-Unknown/XCOM Enemy Unknown.app/Contents/MacOS/XCOM Enemy Within
Identifier: com.feralinteractive.xcomenemyunknown
Version: 1.3
Code Type: X86
Parent Process: launchd [1]
Date/Time: 2014-10-25 14:50:33 +0000
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.10.0 (14A389)
Report Version: 104
Exception Type: SIGSEGV
Exception Codes: SEGV_MAPERR at 0x17
Crashed Thread: 6
Cheers, Ben

Hey Benn,

It's probably yosemite related. Can you verify that the base game (without long war) works properly?

Are you using any second wave options? I've heard before of training roulette not working on osx sometimes.

Hi! Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes I just finished ew before trying out the long war

I just started a new campaign without second wave options and it didn't crash!

Trying one now just without training roulette, id post to confirm :D

Can you post the entire contents of the terminal window?

It seems there's something going wrong with the script picking up where it's being ran. Looking through the script, I think it might happen if you have spaces in the path; that's a stupid mistake and I'll get someone to fix it eventually, but for now can you try unpacking the script to /tmp, or some other directory path where names would not have spaces around?

If that's difficult, you can try modifying the script instead:

The line

MOD_DATA_DIR="`dirname $0`/install-files"

should instead say

MOD_DATA_DIR="`dirname "$0"`/install-files"

(note the extra quotes around $0).

LMK if either of these helps.

Thanks for the quick answer. Here's what I get:

That's what I get first

[ordinatirojarra:~] Telmo BJ MDD% /Users/Telmo\ BJ\ MDD/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/XCom-Enemy-Unknown/LW-EW-Linux-OSX-b14-build5b/install-LW-OSX.sh

usage: dirname path

Adding the quotes seems to have helped since I get a new message but something goes wrong after :

Last login: Sun Oct 26 01:26:07 on console

[ordinatirojarra:~] Telmo BJ MDD% /Users/Telmo\ BJ\ MDD/Downloads/LW-EW-Linux-OSX-b14-build5b/install-LW-OSX.sh

find: ./install-files/: No such file or directory

/Users/Telmo BJ MDD/Downloads/LW-EW-Linux-OSX-b14-build5b/install-LW-OSX.sh: line 22: [: too many arguments

Installing Long War for XCOM:EW, please, be patient...

User files dir: /Users/Telmo BJ MDD/Library/Application Support/Feral Interactive/XCOM Enemy Unknown/XEW

Wrote backup to:

User files: /Users/Telmo BJ MDD/Library/Application Support/Feral Interactive/XCOM Enemy Unknown/XEW/backup

Game files: /Users/Telmo BJ MDD/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/XCom-Enemy-Unknown/backup

Copying install files...

cp: ./install-files/*: No such file or directory

Problem with the install-files part cf. no such file or directory.

Edited by TelmoBJ

Same issue, different place(s) :sad:

LW_FILES=`find ${MOD_DATA_DIR}/ -type f | sed s,${MOD_DATA_DIR}/,,g`

has to be

LW_FILES=`find "${MOD_DATA_DIR}/" -type f | sed "s,${MOD_DATA_DIR}/,,g"`

and

SELFNAME=`basename $0`

should be

SELFNAME=`basename "$0"`

Spaces truly are the doom of computers.

Edited by Anderkent

Hey guys - saw this posted on a different forum thought i would ask here.

Running Steam EW on a Mavericks (10.9.5) install - the Beta 14 mod (LW-EW-Linux-OSX-b14-build5b) installs beautifully and runs perfect - right up until you try to associate any abilities with any of your soldiers.

Regardless of class - every time I try to associate a new ability I CTD. Is this something anyone has seen/dealt with?

Appreciate any advice.

Can confirm that removing all second wave option allows the game to operate as expected.

Can also confirm that enabling training roulette causes a CTD. Will try with other options and post back

Edited by ncondos

Hey Benn,

It's probably yosemite related. Can you verify that the base game (without long war) works properly?

Are you using any second wave options? I've heard before of training roulette not working on osx sometimes.

Hi! Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes I just finished ew before trying out the long war

I just started a new campaign without second wave options and it didn't crash!

Trying one now just without training roulette, id post to confirm :D

Can confirm that the game runs smoothly so far without training roulette (second wave option) on

Just finished my second mission, thanks for the assist Anderkent

Edited by benn1092