A really wierd CTD, even though I'm sure it's just a detail

ForeuZe

Hi.

I'm facing an annoying CTD... (original..) When I launch the game, I don't even have the time to read the Please Standby picture that I'm directly sent to the desktop with the usual "Fallout 3 has stopped working, but somehow it's not linked with everything I've heard, I've already played it (and alot) and uninstalled a while ago.

YES, I installed it correctly without errors.

YES, FO3 is in the exclusion list of all the FFDshows

YES I have the good config (anyways I've already played it)

I'm using Net Framework 3.5, the last C++ Redistribuable, the Patch 1.7.

NO, I don't have any mod.

I'm on Vista 32 Bits

I must believe it has something to do with the system, or a deadly detail, I don't know.. didn't found anything helpful yet with 2 days of Google-ing, reinstalling, patching, tried to restore the system and I'm about to reformate if I don't get any solution ><

I hope you guys can do something about that -_-

Do you have any of the DLCs? What is running in the background? Are you launching via the launcher, or direct to the exe? Is Fallout 3 installed to the default place, or (preferred) elsewhere? What are your system specs? CPU/Video/RAM

Do you have any of the DLCs? What is running in the background? Are you launching via the launcher, or direct to the exe? Is Fallout 3 installed to the default place, or (preferred) elsewhere? What are your system specs? CPU/Video/RAM

I didn't install any DLC yet

MSN and Xfire only

I tried via both ways to launch the game, a couple of times.

I installed first in C/games, then knowing how Vista can be stubborn, in My Documents.

ATI Radeon 4870

3Go RAM

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93 Ghz

And.. thanks for helping :)

PS: @Quetzlsacatanango: I've toggled it at least 20 or 30 times already :p

"I installed first in C/games"

That would be the best place to put it. Fo3 will store your saves in the Documents folder. Are there any errors in the Event Log? That could point you in the right direction. If you already had FO3 installed in the past I would move the entire c:\Users\*username*\documents\My Games\Fallout 3 (at least I think that's where Vista would put it) until after it launches successfully once. Then you can restore any saved games you had.

Well, nothing seems to work, I don't know if it's a windows update or something, I'm see quite alot of people having this kind of problem not solved yet, and they're recent, but I'm still not sure, I'm heartbroken now :dry:

Well, nothing seems to work, I don't know if it's a windows update or something, I'm see quite alot of people having this kind of problem not solved yet, and they're recent, but I'm still not sure, I'm heartbroken now :dry:

Download and install FOMM

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=640

Download and install the GECK & 1.5 update (even if you don't plan on modding)

http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/Main_Page

Make sure the files are installed to your Fallout3 folder, one before you data folder.

Worth a shot.

HA ! I managed to fix the problem, I've been deleting the .ini files in the Fallout 3 folder in My Documents/My Games.

(Also for Vista users, execute it in Admin mode)

Apparently it was some kind of hardware problem, as deleting the inis forced the game to make another one. I hope it ever helps anyone.