New worldspace land gone wrong

inggrish

I am creating a new worldspace, an island; however, when looking out to sea, the floor looks like it dsoes in the screenshot. It just dissapears after a certain distance. I want the water to be very clear and clean, so i feel changing water opacitiy isnt the right option for this. So does anyone know how to extend what can be seen on the ground below the sea?

Thanks for your time

Matt (Inggrish)

Happens because the cells over there havn't been defined. When doing an island, you should always create a buffer of about 3-5 cells between your coastline/playable region and the edge of your worldspace. If you're working on a full worldspace, you'll need to have a similar buffer before the edge of the quads you are using.

Happens because the cells over there havn't been defined. When doing an island, you should always create a buffer of about 3-5 cells between your coastline/playable region and the edge of your worldspace. If you're working on a full worldspace, you'll need to have a similar buffer before the edge of the quads you are using.

Ok, so how do I do this?

Ok, so how do I do this?

If it's an island, just go to the top view, and use the arrow keys to move around the coast. As the cells get created and displayed in the CS, they will be created within that mod. It can increase the file size quite a lot, but is often the only way.

If it's a full worldspace, you'll need to move all playable area away from the edges of what is shown in the heightmap editor. Although the same method of just loading those cells in the CS can work to a certain degree, it can often result in having those quads get fully registered when you go yo make the LOD meshes/textures for those quads, so isn't a particularly good idea.

Hmm, well I tried moving around the area. I buffered 15 cells in every direction around it which took a fair while. In game though it still looks exactly the same as before. (It is just a single island) Any suggestions? :/

hey inggrish

i was having this same problem tonight, was driving me a little bit insane.

then i remembered i'd messed with my oblivion.ini earlier that day, so i restored it and my water was once again intact.

before you do that though, check other areas for the same problems (bethesda built areas) - i checked the waterfront district, and it was horribly chopped up. the only setting i can think of that might have caused this ( i never had problems when i did this kind of modding on the game about a year ago) was enabling shader 3.0 support - even though my graphics card supports it, i think it may have stuffed it up pretty bad.

cheers

Robbo

EDIT: narrowed it down to uGridsToLoad=x ; seems like x larger than 10 is the problem.

hey inggrish

i was having this same problem tonight, was driving me a little bit insane.

then i remembered i'd messed with my oblivion.ini earlier that day, so i restored it and my water was once again intact.

before you do that though, check other areas for the same problems (bethesda built areas) - i checked the waterfront district, and it was horribly chopped up. the only setting i can think of that might have caused this ( i never had problems when i did this kind of modding on the game about a year ago) was enabling shader 3.0 support - even though my graphics card supports it, i think it may have stuffed it up pretty bad.

cheers

Robbo

EDIT: narrowed it down to uGridsToLoad=x ; seems like x larger than 10 is the problem.

hmm, thanks for your help. Unfortunately though, I do not think this is quite the problem since "uGridsToLoad" =5 in my oblivion.ini file which I believe is the default. I hav't seen this problem elsewhere in the game which is driving me insane!

Cheers for your input

Matt

ahh *censored*. i was kinda hopin thatd be it, cos i understand how frustrating it is, i wouldnt wish it on anybody. the only other option i explored was a once-off reference to a heightmap naming error, which i also changed before the problem disappeared. if you generated LOD textures:

data\textures\landscapelod\generated

there's a whole bunch of .dds files in here with coordinate names.

apparently the convention is to place two zero's (00) to signify a zero coordinate in the name. but sometimes the heightmap editor names them using only one zero. so see if there are any with only one zero, and rename the file to make them all two zero's.

Hope this helps

Robbo

ahh *censored*. i was kinda hopin thatd be it, cos i understand how frustrating it is, i wouldnt wish it on anybody. the only other option i explored was a once-off reference to a heightmap naming error, which i also changed before the problem disappeared. if you generated LOD textures:

data\textures\landscapelod\generated

there's a whole bunch of .dds files in here with coordinate names.

apparently the convention is to place two zero's (00) to signify a zero coordinate in the name. but sometimes the heightmap editor names them using only one zero. so see if there are any with only one zero, and rename the file to make them all two zero's.

Hope this helps

Robbo

hmm again, no luck. All co-ordinates containing 0s, always contain 00, not 0. (If I read your reply correctly this means its right?)

Thanks again for the suggestion

Matt