My oblivion CD is missing parts of the game

Azikira

Every time I re-install Oblivion on my computer, halfway in tells me there is an error with some of the files, but I choose ignore, so it finishes installing. I get all the way to the character creation but once I finish, the game crashes. I really don't want to have to buy another copy of the game, so is there a way I can get like, backups of all the files and manually re-install it, or am I going to have to spring the extra cash for a new copy? :L

EDIT: I figured out that the guy who mocks you right after you finish creating a character causes the game to crash :(

EDIT EDIT: The exact file thats corrupt is Oblivion-Voices1.bsa

You've probably already checked for this, if so just disregard, lol But sometimes the simplest things cause major problems.

Have you checked that there are no scratches or fingerprints on part of the disk? That could cause areas of the game to skip or appear corrupt. IF it's that simple, then a good wipe with a soft cloth, or CD cleaner will fix you right up.

I hope you find a solution so you don't have to buy a whole new disc! Good luck with it :smile:

You've probably already checked for this, if so just disregard, lol But sometimes the simplest things cause major problems.

Have you checked that there are no scratches or fingerprints on part of the disk? That could cause areas of the game to skip or appear corrupt. IF it's that simple, then a good wipe with a soft cloth, or CD cleaner will fix you right up.

I hope you find a solution so you don't have to buy a whole new disc! Good luck with it :smile:

The CD is very clean, not a scratch in sight! O.o I dont understand this corrupt thing, but one of my friends may make me a copy of hers so I can re-install all of the goodies needed ^_^

I am not sure what sort of copy protection the Oblivion CD has, but if your friend makes you a pirated copy, it might not work right. (That is the goal of copy protection.)

Since she owns a legal copy, and you own a legal copy, why don't you borrow hers just to reinstall your game, and then give it back. This may not be strictly legal, but it sounds more legal than burning a pirated copy of Oblivion.

(But on the other hand, the copy protection may be such that you can't install with her disk, and play with yours.)

If you can't solve the problem, you may end up saving your quarters and nickles in a jar until you can buy a new CD.

I am not sure what sort of copy protection the Oblivion CD has, but if your friend makes you a pirated copy, it might not work right. (That is the goal of copy protection.)

Since she owns a legal copy, and you own a legal copy, why don't you borrow hers just to reinstall your game, and then give it back. This may not be strictly legal, but it sounds more legal than burning a pirated copy of Oblivion.

(But on the other hand, the copy protection may be such that you can't install with her disk, and play with yours.)

If you can't solve the problem, you may end up saving your quarters and nickles in a jar until you can buy a new CD.

this is on shaky ground, but . . .

sounds more like your computer is butting heads against the limited securom that's on the original Oblivion disk. If so, this would give you the same problem if you tried to install from your friend's original Obliv disk.

In short, seek "securom" solutions. - Possibly updating your DVD drive's firmware - and/or doing some googling on securom (meaning you may need to unistall some unrelated software to convince securom that you are worthy of using their disk)

this is on shaky ground, but . . .

sounds more like your computer is butting heads against the limited securom that's on the original Oblivion disk. If so, this would give you the same problem if you tried to install from your friend's original Obliv disk.

In short, seek "securom" solutions. - Possibly updating your DVD drive's firmware - and/or doing some googling on securom (meaning you may need to unistall some unrelated software to convince securom that you are worthy of using their disk)

So.... i'd have to get rid of other programs I have so my game will work properly? @_@ this is all so confusing. I might just have to get a new CD, they arent TERRIBLY expensive these days... I would've just prefered to not have to buy it for a 3rd time (Xbox 360, PC) :D

I dont think she will let me borrow the actual CD because its her boyfriends or what-not. Im only missing a few files so I could just try to re-install with her copy... idk, I just hope it starts working soon

My disk was actually scratched so this may not work for you, but here's what I did. I used windows to do a surface scan of the disk to see if anything was amiss and there was a sector on the disk that would not read at all, so instead of buying a new $20 game I bought a $3 bottle of automotive scratch remover. I used this to buff the disk (always from center to edge) and eventually it took out enough of the scratch that the disk would read and I could reinstall.

So the first thing I'd do if I were you is a surface scan and go from there.

-Razorpony

The securom antipiracy software is not perfect. As most software is not perfect. It does have issues with no cd programs such as Alcohol and Daemon tools. Usually disabling them will allow installation. Or removing them if that doesn't work. I have also seen ONE post that claimed a Samsung DVD had a problem with the Secureom - but that was not on Oblivion.

Don't blame Securom or Bethesda for these kind of problems. Blame the pirates who are stealing games and ruining PC gaming for all of us who pay for games. Why should the developers keep making games for PC if they are loosing money? When they can make a cheaper game for the console market that makes money? And yes, 85% of PC games are loosing money while the same games on consoles are making money. The ones that are making money are the online MMO games and not the single player Oblivion type games.