Morrowind Overhaul

Wolfhound646

I quite like the trees, they do tend to make it feel slightly less swamp like though.

A couple more shots (resized this time)

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/3394/mw5.jpg

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/8084/mw6d.jpg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should have posted ages ago. I downloaded it after writing the translation. Yeah the sheet and pencil is just a button with a sheet and pencil on it. No big deal :P

I've been testing it and playing around and I'm loving it so far :D I haven't been able to get the shaders working yet though and a couple of textures in Mournhold are playing up. (I don't know if this is just me or what) but I guess that comes from playing a first release Beta

It was kind of a shock when I realised it used the nude version of Better Bodies for the first time. Glad my little brother wasn't in the room *phew*

The great thing about the overhaul is that in theory you should still be able to add other mods and replace the ones you don't want. I'm going to try this out probably tonight or tomorrow and see if it works with no problems :)

The fog and water settings on the new MGE are amazing. You get great view distance but you now feel like the map is massive again. MGE was always amazing but made me realise that Morrowind wasn't as big as I first thought. Especially with how close Daedric ruins are to towns.

I wonder if this works with Tamriel Rebuilt. I think I'll give it a try now and let you know how it works. The texture changes should apply to the TR cells too.

I applied for an account at the Italian site but they haven't accepted me yet :(

Maybe tonight I'll upload some screenies ;D

Vality's Trees are pretty cool, but they look a bit weird if you get to close to them (like on the hill at Balmora where you start if you use 'coc balmora').

Other mods I recognise are Connary's Bitter Coast textures, Vality's Grass, and possibly Linora's Thatch Roof? :P

I'm not going to download it but I'm still curious as to what it contains. Is there a list somewhere? Which version of MGE is included, and does it come with pre-generated distant land already?

There are several new grass and tree replacer mods that were released over the last few weeks which I assume this pack do not contain. Like grass for the Solstheim, Azura's Coast and Sheogorad regions. As I doubt they'll be updating a 1.5 GB package, have a look at Vurt's mods on PlanetElderScrolls, and this one.

There's a list earlier on in the thread. When you download the file it will come with the Textures and Meshes and other Data Files and then all the .esps for the plug-ins that need them. So most of the mods you can recognise by name and then not include if you don't want them.

I tried running the game with some of my own retexture mods and they overrode the others fine (as they should, I was just checking). You'll need to generate your own distant land files I'm pretty sure. I still haven't managed to get the shaders working, and now I'm thinking they are just broken as the originals that come with MGE work just fine. I'll download them again and try later.

This is all working nicely with Tamriel Rebuilt Map 1 and 2 so far. The tools it comes with (TesTool etc.) are really handy with such a large plug-in list. My save games had no trouble using these either which is more than can be said about the mod list I was using the other day *rolls eyes*

I found the mod list and I continue to think this is a bad idea, especially for the gameplay sections. I'm sure the original authors haven't been contacted, and there are definitely some mods with issues in there. Pursuit Enhanced is known to cause crashes, Morrowind Enhanced has been suspected of savegame corruption, The LGNPC series is constantly being updated so will be outdated quickly, and I know updates for other projects on the list are also in the works.

Compilations have been attempted in the past and have never worked out well for various reasons. One being the very high probability of conflicts, another the speed at which this is going to be outdated and the difficulty of updating the whole package over and over. I doubt this is going to end up any differently.

Judging by the screenshots so far, so far everything is looking good. But if what Povuholo says is true, then I might wait for a later release or pick and choose what I want from the list and run them seperately. Plus I don't know any Italian lol. :biggrin:

STILL can't find my copy of Morrowind. Did find Starcraft and SWAT 3 Gold though. :tongue:

I found the mod list and I continue to think this is a bad idea, especially for the gameplay sections. I'm sure the original authors haven't been contacted, and there are definitely some mods with issues in there. Pursuit Enhanced is known to cause crashes, Morrowind Enhanced has been suspected of savegame corruption, The LGNPC series is constantly being updated so will be outdated quickly, and I know updates for other projects on the list are also in the works.

Compilations have been attempted in the past and have never worked out well for various reasons. One being the very high probability of conflicts, another the speed at which this is going to be outdated and the difficulty of updating the whole package over and over. I doubt this is going to end up any differently.

Stabilty was my concern which is why I backed up my entire Morrowind folder, so far all is well and I've not come across any problems. I'll report anything I find here. I do hope they've contacted the authors of these mods, it's a little bit naughty if they haven't.

Stabilty was my concern which is why I backed up my entire Morrowind folder, so far all is well and I've not come across any problems. I'll report anything I find here. I do hope they've contacted the authors of these mods, it's a little bit naughty if they haven't.

Judging by the number of mods I'd say they haven't, at least not for most mods.

I intend to create a list of mods I'm using. In the end it will be somewhat similar to this overhaul, except for the following:

1. You need to download and install everything yourself.

2. That takes a lot more work, but this way you know what you're installing, and you can install exactly what you want and ignore what you don't want. I already know that if people using this overhaul run into bugs, or features they don't like, they have no idea what it is from most of the time or how to fix/remove it.

What happens if one of the many mods has a bug that causes the game to crash in certain situations, or that breaks quests? How will you ever find the solution if you don't even know what half of the mods you're using does?

3. It is easier to update to newer mod releases because you know where the original download was, and you only have to re-download what needs updating rather than a full compilation. You'll also be sure that you have the latest version of something the moment you download it and easy access to the modder's contact info.

I can name multiple mods on the list that could be outdated by a new version any day now.

4. By downloading things one at a time and installing them one at a time you learn how the mod is supposed to be used. With mods like the Morrowind Graphics Extender there's no single configuration that is best for everyone. Some people might not like the default HDR/Bloom shader, or don't have a strong enough PC to use the SSAO shader. Or maybe the distant land settings in general are too high.

Combat Enhanced is a complicated mod with all sorts of special combat moves, and is definitely not something you should install without checking the documentation. If you use a compilation that just says 'install here' for everything, inexperienced users (who tend to go for these compilations) won't know how to change something.

5. Less chance of instability. On the compilation mod list I already saw the following at first glance:

- Expanded Sounds + Herbalism For Purists Patch - Expanded Sounds + Herbalism For Purists Patch

- Graphic Erbalism - Graphic Erbalism

Here a patch for using Expanded Sounds together with Herbalism for Purists. However, the Herbalism for Purists mod itself is not on the list. Instead, there's Graphic Herbalism. Perhaps it won't crash, but that's definitely not going to work as intended.

The idea of creating a compilation that allows people who do not have the knowledge or time to gather their own mods, so they can quickly enjoy a modded game with a single download without having to worry about anything, is great. It's just not very practical.

Judging by the screenshots so far, so far everything is looking good. But if what Povuholo says is true, then I might wait for a later release or pick and choose what I want from the list and run them seperately. Plus I don't know any Italian lol. :biggrin:

STILL can't find my copy of Morrowind. Did find Starcraft and SWAT 3 Gold though. :tongue:

You can pick and choose, there are separate ESPs. I was worried they would merge the lot into one. Updating shouldn't be an issue for the same reason. That said Povuholo is right, it would be better to download just what you want rather than wasting time downloading everything.

Povuhulu:

Do you have to be such a spoilsport? :tongue:

1. I already said I don't know if the permission was asked of the modders - but once again - THAT DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN ASSUME IT WASN'T! :wacko: :wacko: :tongue:

2. This mod pack (for the graphics) is still in beta; and there is a reason why the mod pack for the gameplay hasn't been realeased yet. In fact, if you go to the site, KING_PIX says that he is about 60/70% (I don't remember exactly) done with the mod testing for that part. And before you ask, he isn't the only one testing his mod packs. Who are the other's? Well, sphynxette and jim_uk for example :teehee: . There is a reason why this mod pack is still considered to be in BETA!!! :wacko:

3. I'm sure that your mod list is very nice; but we've been over this on the bottom of page 2 :pinch: . As far as I can gather, it took jim_uk about one or two hours to get this working (don't mention MGE problems, these problems have already been mentioned in the italian forum, and I am sure it will be much easier in the final version). How long would it take to go through your list, and make sure everythings stable? Well, much longer, lol :down: .

4. Not practical?!?!?!? :sick: :nuke:

Ummmm... is it just my imagination, or did jim_uk and sphynxette get it working really easily (and it's not even out of BETA yet). I'm not sure, was that what you were trying to say?

Back to the mod!!! :woot:

There has to be a way to get the shader's working (I think) because the shaders were activated in the Morrowind Overhaul Video on youtube.