Fresh install of Oblivion, no mods, crashes after 5 sec gameplay

Sostrmnn

I bought Oblivion when it came on sale on Steam. Game installed through Steam.

When I run the game it I am able to get past the menu and start a new game. It plays the intro and I can customize my character. After customization, if I don't move around the prison (only look) then the game runs fine. As soon as I take any action then the game crashes (it's a segfault / access violation, straight crash).

I've tried:

• Verifying game cache (100% fine according to steam)
  • Different resolutions and graphics settings
  • Deleting the oblivion.ini file
  • Downloading a save game at the end of the sewer (as soon as I exit the sewer or open inventory it crashes)
  • Downloading the unofficial oblivion and shivering isles patch (I have the GOTY edition)

I'm running v1.2.0416. Comp specs: Core2Quad 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, GTX 670. Running 27" 2560x1440 (maybe too high res? I've tried lower res as well but no diff) + 19" 1440x900 (dual monitor issue?). Windows 7 Ultimate

Really don't know what else I can try... I remember Oblivion being buggy as hell but damn...

Edited by Sostrmnn

Have a look at this post. If that doesn't help go to the Advanced Search screen (small flower looking icon at the right of the search box at the top of any Nexus Forums page) and put Xonar in the Find Words field and then change the Find in Forum selection box to Oblivion. Click Search Now and you'll have a pretty long list presented that offer other ideas.

- Edit - Another possibility is use one of the quiet feet mods ... search on Oblivion Nexus for quiet feet in the File Name box.

Edited by Striker879