how do i fix my character not sitting down on oblivion

matthewok

my game keeps freezing for a short while everytime i try to sit down, but only on my save account, my bro uses the same game disk but it doesnt happen on his, what can i do to fix this?????????

The game itself is actually freezing or "Crashing" - So you can't do anything? - Please explain this a bit.

It might be a bad path causing it, similar to what happens when you try to get on a horse and you're stood on a sloped mountainside. Theres no real way to avoid bad pathgrids unless you rework the game in the construction set. I wouldn't reccomend it though.

As for me, I only ever sit when I'm idling or AFK.

If you've completed a certain quest, it's either Umaril or the Grey Fox, there is a bug in the game that prevents your character from being able to sit again, forever! I have this glitch and it drives me crazy. The only fix I've ever heard about was from the UOP or Unofficial Oblivion Patch. This patch fixes about 1800 bugs/glitches in vanilla oblivion, including this one.

I've just kind of lived with it, although I did ask once if someone would create a mod just to fix this bug. I was afraid to lose all my custom clothes meshes if I installed the UOP. I was assured that it won't do that, but I still haven't taken the plunge.

To my knowledge, this is the only fix, if that is truly your problem. Wish I had better news for us both on that one :sad:

I was afraid to lose all my custom clothes meshes if I installed the UOP. I was assured that it won't do that, but I still haven't taken the plunge.

consider making an OMOD out of the manual installer version of the UOP

then you can test it out with a peaceful mind.

I know of three causes for this to happen.

If you complete the entire Knights of the Nine questline you get this bug, which can be fixed by using the Unofficial Mods Patch (which contains the Unofficial Knights of the Nine patch).

The other way this can happen is from using tai (toggle AI) or tcai (toggle combat)-I'm not sure which one it was. If you perhaps decided to try to make the game easy for you by effectively stopping the AI from attacking you then you have this animation problem where your character won't sit down in chairs. This can be fixed by simply turning the AI (or AI combat, whichever it was) back on with the console (~) and typing in tai or tcai.

The third is from a bad mod, so try disabling some mods and see if it works (don't save the game). When you find the offending mod then disable that mod only, and then you can save.

After returning to the Priory from the final battle with Umaril, the player may encounter a bug where they lose the ability to sit; either no sitting animation plays and the player appears to be standing but can't move, or the player sits on nothing beside the chair/bench. The cause of this is an idle animation with bad conditions that "sticks" to the player. There is no known way of fixing this with console commands, but it may go away by itself after extended gameplay when many other animations have been applied to the player.

The player is required to sit at the beginning of the Shivering Isles expansion, but the game recognizes when the player is seated even though it does not appear visually.

The player is also required to sit at the end of the quest The Ultimate Heist. This bug can make it possible for the cutscene to freeze at this point and therefore the player never receives the scroll. The bug also changes the way vampires suck blood because they are standing up and there is no animation but the message still goes on.

This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Official Mods Patch.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Umaril_the_Unfeathered_(quest)#Bugs

I was afraid to lose all my custom clothes meshes if I installed the UOP. I was assured that it won't do that, but I still haven't taken the plunge.

consider making an OMOD out of the manual installer version of the UOP

then you can test it out with a peaceful mind.

Thank you Fonger, that is a good idea. I usually keep copies of all my important saves anyway. I'll certainly give that a try. Maigrets I think it was assured me I would not lose the custom items, but I've still been too nervous to try it.

Thanks again for your help, this should also help the OP as well. :thumbsup: