Is there another Earth?

Keanumoreira

PS: i totally forgot.. it slipped my mind..Earth is currently in the way of an intersteller highway construction and if it doesn't move in the next 2 years we'll be forced to destroy it. ( hey..people need to get to work)

so long and thanks for the fish.

@Uncle Roe

You owe us one million bars of gold pressed latinum for the fish and the export licence, we will use that money to relocate the highway through your solar system. :whistling:

Nobody has any evidence that there is another planet with similar composition/climate and atmosphere to Earth. But I will go on the side of the massive numbers involved and say that there has to be, and it would be statistically impossible if there wasn't. No I don't buy the argument that Earth was a fluke of nature. I don't even believe we have a name to describe massive number of potential stars in the Universe, let alone planets, and we know of 8 planets around our single star, 9 if you want to count Pluto. My guess considering the numbers is that there could possibly be millions or billions of other planets similar to Earth out there.

When they finally do have a telescope powerful enough to find an Earth like planet on a nearby star, it won't surprise me one bit when they do find one.

It is also believed my many scientists that Mars at one time was similar to Earth in many ways, meaning it had liquid water rivers and oceans, at atmosphere with similar composition. They think Mars started off similar to the way Earth did in the first billion years or so of the planets life. So we know of there being 2 Earth like planets in one solar system. Or at least the 2 planets at one time were very similar.

Auctually three, they believe that Venus was also a Garden world, now a post Garden world like Mars.

From what I understand about Venus, it is under a runaway greenhouse effect, locking in all the heat and keeping it in on the planet, with no place for that heat to escape to. Venus is very volcanically active, and even without the heat, the atmosphere alone would crush a human on the surface. Its one of the reasons why they haven't sent any Venus rovers like they have on Mars. If Hell was a planet then that planet would probably be Venus.

The only similarity it has between Earth and Mars is that they are all rocky planets. But the similarities end there.

True yes, but in past the crushing gravity, and green house effects were not present, and scientists have proof of this. Now how Venus became like it is today, now thats the real mystery.

True yes, but in past the crushing gravity, and green house effects were not present, and scientists have proof of this. Now how Venus became like it is today, now thats the real mystery.

Volcanic activity could do it. And Venus is covered in large active volcanoes that are in pretty much in perpetual eruption. All the gas they release into the atmosphere would contribute to the greenhouse effect over millions/billions of years. Its proximity to the sun would have a lot to do with why it is so volcanically active.

Considering there are hundreds of billions of galaxies, with hundreds of billions, even trillions of stars each, it would be stupid to say there aren't many more planets with sentient life.

Wow, if it is true.......I am hoping that we (the people of the world) could find that Earth number 2 to avoid the pollution that sucks our breath.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think statistics strongly suggests the existence of aliens...or even remotely suggests it. Statistically, the likelihood of complex carbon based life anywhere, is astronomically low. all things considered, i would even make the claim that the likelihood of our continued existence is ridiculously low. There are too many factors at play. It may even be the case that intelligent life, invariably destroys itself. I'm surprised as to how many people consider the existence of another complex carbon based life-form to be obvious working with just a gut feeling. The size of something does not make it more likely to harbor complex carbon life...depending on the factors at play, it could make it lower.

now, as for non-carbon based complex life...that's completely up in the air. is probably impractical to waste energy on as well. how would we contact something that is outside of our senses, perceptions, conceptions, and technology?

sometimes i fantasize about what a complex electromagnetic-based life would be like...or even a light-based life... i wish i was creative enough to conceptualize a way for life to flourish that was not based on water.

try this one on for size:

what if, complex electromagnetic life-forms influence our brain waves, and subtly suggest our development of electromagnetic devises, because our devises sexually stimulate said life. and over time, our technology will more and more allow these life-forms to control our freewill, until our very technology uses us, and serves as a medium to please alien life forms?

try this one on for size:

what if, complex electromagnetic life-forms influence our brain waves, and subtly suggest our development of electromagnetic devises, because our devises sexually stimulate said life. and over time, our technology will more and more allow these life-forms to control our freewill, until our very technology uses us, and serves as a medium to please alien life forms?

Are you trying to suggest that the meaning for our existance is to masturbate aliens? :blink: