So I Finally Download TES4Edit, and it Doesn't Work.

David Brasher

You have to edit the registry settings if you dont use the steam version because it assumes you do (bad design flaw rngl), so, you will have to start regedit.exe from a command prompt or run registry editor from start menu (recommended) right clicking the start menu icon and select 'run as administrator' in case the keys you need are protected. Then you have to go to the registry path where it is, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->Software->Bethesda Softworks->Oblivion is the key you need. If you have the problem of it not finding it, likely it is missing. So you will have to create the keys if they aren't there:

1) go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software (looks just like browsing a folder tree, Software looks like a subdirectory but actually its a subkey), Software WILL exist :)

2) under Software, find the "Bethesda Softworks" key. If it isnt there, you must create it by right clicking on "Software" to create the new key (this is why you need Administrator, btw)

3) then, navigate into "Bethesda Softworks" and locate (or create) the key "Oblivion" and navigate into it as well

4) on the RIGHT pane (the 'directory contents' but actually these are 'values' in that key), you must edit or create a new string value called "Installed Path" <- that must be spelled exactly right, no quotes (spaces are spaces)

5) when you edit the "Installed Path" value by double clicking on it, you will get a dialog.

6) under "Value Data" you will enter whatever the full path to the directory containing Oblivion.exe is

7) thats it, no saving needed, the registry updates changes of any kind, they are not held back

If you are worried about modifying subkeys, you can always export the key, right click on it and save it as a file by selecting 'export', and then re-merge it later by double clicking on the file that was created when you exported (saved) it OR by using File->Import and chosing the file you exported (saved).

I walked this path for my latest install to make sure this ^ is accurate, this does work. Note that in some cases I have seen the registry values located under the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" instead. As of this writing, with the non-steam version, this is not the case. It seems neither were there, and when adding the above to HKEY_CURRENT_USER instead of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, it does not work. Program tracing revealed that ONLY the local machine branch was read, not the other, what you WOULD expect to be right, the current user. This may or may not have something to do with installing the application for all users or not, though I do not know how the current Tes4edit detects that, if at all. I will stick with the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE as shown above.

Oh, and if SSCE5432.DLL Problems with construction set got you down, here's the lowdown...

While I am at it, a note on TES4 construction set with set extender, you will most likely in this day and age run into the SSCE5432.dll problem and beat your head on the desk wondering how to fix it. I researched this and found that it is a spelling-checker extension dll from a company called WinterTree. You need to go to their website and request a copy of their plugin. If you are inpatient you can also get it from some of the dll download sites, just be careful and inspect the dll resource table first to ensure its not a virus. WinterTree: http://www.wintertree-software.com/support/index.html Also, the filesize for that DLL is 208KB from explorer's point of view. The file's property page should say "Sentry Spelling-Checker Engine" in the file-description part. as long as NONE of the fields are blank you should have a good copy. The version is 5.15.5.0. and contains a copyright for WinterTree also.