Intel Graphics Card

my computer is running a on a Intel 82865g Graphics Controller (i think) and ive looked around on the internet and the impression i get is that it is powerful enough but TES IV Oblivion runs some kind of check and refuses to use it (i may be dead wrong). i end up gettin an error message and ive tried Oldblivion with no success. any help would be appreciated!

Ah, the curse of onboard graphics. (forgive me if you're running a laptop)

The major problem, even if yours did support hardware T&L, is that it would be fighting your Processor, RAM and other things for attention, which will throttle your performance.

Unfortunately, even though its 4 years old, Oblivion is still a major graphic power hog. Even Oldblivion I fear, is gonna be a bit too much for that chipset.

Ok, I'm being nice. Its gonna be a lot too much. Especially if you start modding it.

Best advice matey, at least if you are running on a desktop, would be to get a graphics card. Obviously, the top of the range ones are really rather bank crunchingly expensive, so I'm not saying get one of those. Hell - I don't. And I make these bloody things(PCs) to put a few extra quids in my pocket. Thats not to say I wouldn't get a top of the range one if money was no object, mind. Regardless, my personal comp pretty much eats my cousins Alienware (desktop, not lappy) for breakfast and it didn't cost me half as much to put together. Before anyone points out how evil gloating like that makes me, I did tell him I could build a comp that would last longer, perform better and generally dance on its grave for half the money he paid for it BEFORE he paid for it. And that I would put it together and tweak it for free. But noooo, he was havin none of that.

Plus the actual "good" cards are far, far beyond where gaming tech is at the minute anyway which is pushing the 3rd party "budget" cards down ever further in price. You can even link twin SLI cards with Nvidia or Radeon chipsets for less than £200 these days, as long as you get the cards that don't say "Radeon" or "Nvidia" on the box. MSI do some seriously powerful Graphics cards for less than £100, and some moderately (powerful enough to run modded Oblivion, but maybe not on top settings) ones for around the £50 - £60 mark that are all built on Nvidia chipsets.

I do apologise. I'm rambling again, onwards and upwards.

Don't take my word for it, do give Oldblivion a try (I've been wrong before. Let me know how it runs, pls) but if you want to experience Oblivion in all its glory, and especially if you want to mod it, you're gonna need something with significantly more "oomph", I'm afraid.

Sorry matey. Best of luck with OIdblivion.

Jenrai