Must have mods?

Mwraight2013

Hey everyone!

I am new to DA:O but have been a busy part of the ME2&3 modding community for a long time so i know my way around modding fairly well.

Are there any mods that you would say are 'must have's' for the game?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

PS I'm primarily looking for graphic/gameplay enhancement mods.

Edited by Mwraight2013

Welcome to Thedas, Mwraight2013!

You only *think* you know your way around modding. The DA-series with its Eclipse engine is completely different. :laugh:

First: Play-through DAO once unmodded! Seriously. No one who gives an opinion on this ever says otherwise. (You will thank us later.)

Second: Read this article: Using Dragon Age Mods for Dummies.

Then: See this Forum Topic: Good Mods - Opinions. It's a little out-of-date, but still offers some good perspectives.

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

I have to agree that modding this particular game is an all-new, learning experience.

Over the years, I have played a lot of different mods, but there is one, that I just absolutely would NOT play the game without. http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/44/?

white teeth.

sounds lame, but look at the characters...all the characters... before you install the mod, and then look at them again after. You will not ever cringe at seeing them smile again!

aside from that, there are a lot of really great mods out there. have fun exploring the possibilities! :wink:

Edited by WolfenWarden

"White Realistic Teeth", like "Improved Atmosphere", is one of those mods that does a great job of what it was built to do. People swear by both of them, (see the previous post.) But neither of them "work and play well with others". Both of them make changes to the game in ways that are incompatible with whole classes of other mods.

In the case of IA, there are additional materials and items that get "baked-in" to the game in a way that will can break it if you ever remove the mod and then try to load a save made while it was active. When I encountered a problem with another mod due to IA, I ended up having to roll-back about (20) hours of game-play (50% of the time I'd already spent on that playthrough) before I could find a save that would load! After that expereince I refuse to use it even though I like a lot of what it does to... well, "improve the atmosphere"!

In the case of "White Realistic Teeth", due to the way facial textures are applied within the game if you use this mod you can't use a number of other custom facemorphs, HD texture mods, etc.

So... It's up to the player to decide what's most important. I find using a huge variety of Character Creator mods and alternate NPC faces, etc., far more valuable than the colour natural shape of their teeth. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response, I'm afraid I dont visit the boards very often. I think that you're thinking of Realistic Teeth by Brumbek, which conflicts with a great deal of mods. White Teeth only overrides the shaders used on the teeth. Its been one of the first mods that I ever installed, and never had any problems with characters.

Aside from that, a lot of it all depends on what you are looking for, to mod out your gameplay.

LOL no worries, not very commonly mentioned mods, and I know how busy you personally are, with helping out around the site ;)

I would also recommend the Grey Warden Runic armor mod. There's some really great texture work, and he's added a few extra swords and shields to it that are really beautiful.

• 3 months later...