Join Empire or Stormcloaks? My Thoughts

LeddBate

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Among other reasons, my Stormcloak characters join the Stormcloaks because they don't want to deal with the political mess of being technically a member of the old dynasty (Septim/Dragonborn) serving in the army of the new dynasty (Mede). It's like during the Wolf Queen quest line where Styrr said that should Potema fully resurrect, she can legally call herself Empress. If the Dragonborn, being Dragonborn, called himself or herself Emperor or Empress, at least a good portion of the Empire would align with him or her. Mede loyalists would want to snuff that spark of chaos before it catches fire, regardless of the Dragonborn's actual, political ambitions (see Harkon and the Riekling Chief).

Edited by MidbossVyers

I don't think that the Last Dragonborn has any right, even formal, to the Septim surname. He isn't, as far as I can understand, a descendant of some Septim offshoot, is he?

Nope. Many people seem to think that he has a right to the Imperial Throne, however, by merit of being Dragonborn. The legitimacy of the Dragonborn rulers ended with Martin, however, because the Dragon Fires no longer exist.

The Empire was more than a monarchy though, it had the benefit of literal Divine Right. Alessia was given the Dragonblood for the sole purpose of maintaining the Dragonfires, and so long as they existed they required a Dragonborn ruler to remain active. Without a Dragonborn, we ended up with horrible things like the Interregnum. But now their divine legitimacy is gone.

Plus there's the fact that the Last Dragonborn is a Hero, and thus fated to disappear. He can't rule by merit of the fact that he will conveniently be removed from the world one his purpose is fulfilled.

While it has lost its practicality, the formality still exists. As for your second point, I doubt the Mede loyalists, most of whom are common politicians who are unfamiliar with heroic prophecy, know that. Also, according to ESO, apparently, nameless Heroes can become Emperor.

Edited by MidbossVyers

True, there were many imposter Emperors during the Interregnum, but none of them could sustain the Dragon Fires. In fact, the whole Soulshatter is caused by someone TRYING to cheat the system and become Dragonborn in order to light the Dragon Fires and renew the Covenant.

But yeah, right now the Throne is basically a Might makes Right situation... So in principle, if the Dragonborn were to TAKE it, he would be a legitimate ruler.

but again, there's the whole 'disappear' thing.