Join Empire or Stormcloaks? My Thoughts

LeddBate

What is the name of this priestess? As for Talos, again, symbols are everything. To the common man, Talos is a symbol of honor and traditional heroism. That's the orthodoxy that takes precedence over the heresy. And fortunately or unfortunately, common men make up most of any army, with super scholars, who have higher likelihood of believing the heresy, being the comparatively fewer strategists.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the name of this priestess? As for Talos, again, symbols are everything. To the common man, Talos is a symbol of honor and traditional heroism. That's the orthodoxy that takes precedence over the heresy. And fortunately or unfortunately, common men make up most of any army, with super scholars, who have higher likelihood of believing the heresy, being the comparatively fewer strategists.

The priestess is Crescius' wife, Aphia, and IIRC, she's not a priestess anymore because Elder Othreloth kicked her out.

The priestess is Crescius' wife, Aphia, and IIRC, she's not a priestess anymore because Elder Othreloth kicked her out.

Indeed. Though it also seems that Galdris is less... convinced of the Reclamations than Elder Othreloth is.

Fair enough. I though we were talking about literal divine support, rather than public belief. The GOD Talos wouldn't stand with the Stormcloaks, or help them in anyway. That doesn't mean the false perception of him that people believe in cannot be seen reflected in Stormcloak success.

Not to offend anyone here, but most religions are based on public belief rather than actual divine support. However, those who play those cards right often get a ridiculously large following that would be impossible otherwise. Heck, the one who says the line, Lisbet, worships Namira. Oh, when you said "priestess", my mind instantly went to someone wearing robes. Never mind.

Edited by MidbossVyers

Just as in Star Wars, I am an Empire man.

But my support for the Empire comes from Oblivion, I just can not let it fall!

But if you're just following what you did in Oblivion, then it begs the question if different dynasties mean different empires. Ancient Chinese people would say yes. This is not like modern western countries where the country is the same despite having completely different leaders. In most empires, when the bloodline of the Emperor (Septim) is dead, the Empire is dead. If someone else resurrects the Empire under a different family/dynasty name, then that is a different Empire altogether. The Medes are not the Septims.

Edited by MidbossVyers

But if you're just following what you did in Oblivion, then it begs the question if different dynasties mean different empires. Ancient Chinese people would say yes. This is not like modern western countries where the country is the same despite having completely different leaders. In most empires, when the bloodline of the Emperor (Septim) is dead, the Empire is dead. If someone else resurrects the Empire under a different family/dynasty name, then that is a different Empire altogether. The Medes are not the Septims.

I'd argue the Medes have direct continuity from the Septims, through Ocato and Thules. Sure, said empire is much weaker, and it's character has become more Greco-Roman, but it's essentially just the same empire, albeit one that has changed significantly since Martin's death.

In terms of Ocato, yes, he was one of the most loyal Chancellors of the Septim dynasty, but do Chancellors represent the Empire, or do Emperors? As for Thules, history has been filled with Emperors of ridiculously short dynasties. Wouldn't Thules be one of them?

The Mede Dynasty does not seem to be an altogether separate Empire, as the Medes have been desperately trying to hold together the Septim legacy: they are not forging their own Empire, they are clinging to the old one. The Alessian (First), Reman (Second), and Septim (Third) Empires were very different from one another, but the Empire under the Medes is virtually identical to the Empire under the late Septims. Virtually nothing has changed aside from the secession of territories, and Emperor Mede would like as little to change as possible.

Hi. I'm new, hope you don't mind me joining in.

@117649ar

The difference between the septim and mede empires is that the septim empire was blessed by akatosh and talos, but the mede empire does not have any blessings from divines. Also, Talos wouldn't necessarily be against the stormcloacks, because in morrowind wulf(an avatar of talos, or something like that) said that the empire needed to change.