Join Empire or Stormcloaks? My Thoughts

LeddBate

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the CW arc is so broken that completing it is more immersion breaking than never touching it. So that's what I do.....or don't do. I leave the CW alone and never play the story through. As for my opinion on the best faction? Neither. Ulfric is right about The Empire, and the Empire is right about Ulfric. Both are terrible for Skyrim.

Best faction? Have the LDB Swoop down on Dragonback during the moot and throw his own hat in the ring. (Bend Will helps here) Then as High King of Skyrim, take that new army complete with dragons and all, and fly south. Establish a new empire and don't stop until you raze the Aldmeri Dominion.

Oh wait!, That option doesn't exist?.........Which way to the mod request threads?

• 2 weeks later...

I think the CW arc is so broken that completing it is more immersion breaking than never touching it.

A lot of that comes from the fact it's a decision with mutually exclusive outcomes. That inherently causes continuity problems, where you have to try and figure out what's going to happen, and strips the decision of any real impact. Your side wins, and that's the end of it. Rather than tell an interesting story, they decided to go the New Vegas route (probably because of all the undeserved praise that game gets for it's terrible story) and give you a crude, binary choice and a pat on the back. That sort of dynamic makes it difficult to really develop characters and a setting, and frankly always amounts to a mess (even in the games that have done 'Choice' well, it's actively made the storytelling worse).

The entire questline suffers from the lack of narrative focus and development, which is part of what even leads to the discussion about it.

I put off joining in on the civil war completely. It certainly can be done, but I could only get to like level 25. An irritating aspect is that you are teased with getting the Jagged Crown at Korvajund, but for what? The crown benefits no one at all and doesn't affect any aspect of game play. However, to get it you must join one factor or the other to clear the rubble in the ruin to get to the crown. I have played on both sides, and have found no benefit to obtaining the crown for one side or the other. If you don't join the civil war, you'll still see enough fighting to keep you busy because you are always looked down upon by everyone anyways. Funny thing is, if you do join one side or the other, the only changes are the uniforms and some of the dialog. The rest of the game play is the same for either side. So, flip a coin 'cuz it don't matter at all. :laugh:

Edited by varkonasnorse

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Personally I went with the Empire from the first playthrough.

Primarily because the running gag, so to speak, with my characters ever since Morrowind was that they are stealthy agents of the honourable shogun of Akavir. (*cough*ninja*cough*) And a united and stable empire is easier to keep an eye on than a small heap of warring factions.

Also it explains why I'm always in prison. They probably caught me in Tullius's room lockpicking the case with the secret documents.

... Ah, who am I kidding? The kind of chucklenuts that I play, they probably caught me trying to steal Tullius's underpants off him. While he was addressing the troops :tongue:

So, you know, no hard feelings for trying to give me a haircut with the axe. I very probably deserved it :tongue:

• 2 months later...