Join Empire or Stormcloaks? My Thoughts

LeddBate

I find people are far too quick to turn to the Dragonborn for solutions. The Dragonbprn is unlikely to have any direct impact on events after the defeat of Miraak. He will disappear, and whatever lasting influence he/she has will be myth or religious allegory. This is the tried and tested practice of the Elder Scroll games, and I don't see it changing.

When dealing with the Foresworn, it's also important to recognise who their gods are. We're talking about the Daedra here, entities who were against creating Mundus in the first place. They also aren't overly concerned with the safety of their followers, particularly those the Foresworn favour; Hercine, Mephala and Makita. Whether the Foresworn would be easily convinced of the threat posed by the Thalmor plot, but the concern of their gods is unlikely to be a factor, as they're a generally callous lot...

All of this may be moot, though, because the Thalmor may not bother invading at all. They may not need to. I am personally of the mind that the Great War was a bit if sleight of hand to gain access to Dwemer ruins. Enevitably, all the Dominion would have to do is keep their enemies off balance while they do whatever they're doing.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall hearing the line when I played the game, but could someone look up a quote, if possible? I recall that if the Stormcloaks take Markarth or win the Civil War, one of the NPCs will say something along the lines of "The Stormcloaks have taken Markarth? Maybe Talos really is on their side." It's most likely one of the more neutral NPCs, but does anyone know who exactly says it?

When i first started playing skyrim i sort of felt like a rebel at heart, never wanting to follow someone elses rules, and as such i felt the Stormcloaks were right and good, but as i got older and the more i played it, the more i hated how childish Ulfric is, it was a weird transition but now i always join the imperials

I recall hearing the line when I played the game, but could someone look up a quote, if possible? I recall that if the Stormcloaks take Markarth or win the Civil War, one of the NPCs will say something along the lines of "The Stormcloaks have taken Markarth? Maybe Talos really is on their side." It's most likely one of the more neutral NPCs, but does anyone know who exactly says it?

I've never personally heard that, but I haven't spent much time on the Stormcloak side of things (their uniforms are just so... Ugly) so I don't have much of a frame of reference.

However, given what we knkw of Talos, and of his dominant side, Hjalti Earlybeard AKA Tiber Septim, I don't see him helping the Stormcloaks. He was a crafty, long-term kind of guy who got into bed with enemies to gain an advantage. He turned the Redguard against each other, collaborated with the Tribunal, assassinated his own king, manipulated Nordic religion to his own ends... I don't think he'd have the slightest problem with Concordant...

Provided the Empire really DOES plan to strike back.

I'll say this. For me to roleplay following the guy who was cataloging my death into the keep - it's impossible. I want to get as far away from him (knowing he's still alive) and the Imperials as I can - and it's likely they (Imperials) would still be looking for anyone that was at the chop block that escaped at Helgen too. If they were going to chop my head off for just being in the area of the ambush, well they'd just as easily say I helped Ulfric escape too. With my luck, they'd blame me for the dragon showing up as well and the deaths of the citizens of Helgen....

The only thing left for me is somehow over the course of events that follow in the game that I can be swayed to the Imperial side. It's an uphill battle, that kind of event doesn't just summarily get tossed aside like it never happened.

With my luck, they'd blame me for the dragon showing up as well and the deaths of the citizens of Helgen....

Always wondered why no one freaks out later when:

1. They all hear about your ability to call dragons to you (from the MQ line, Ohdaviing, or Durnehviir from the Dawnguard line).*

2. They get the information that you were for the chopping block at Helgen.

3. Conveniently - a Dragon shows up just in time to save you from being beheaded.

Anyone that wasn't there, or be in a position to know that you only learned of your abilities afterwards might just do what you say and go around thinking it was the Dragonborn that called the attack on Helgen in order to save him/her self from execution.

* This would only be made worse if you have the Dragonborn expansion and make frequent use of the "tame dragon" shout, showing you can control them.

By the time you get outed as the Dragonborn though, you've basically helped save one of the biggest holds in Skyrim (which happens to also be neutral to the Civil War) and shortly thereafter are summoned to High Hrothgar. There really isn't time to distrust the Dragonborn.

I've never personally heard that, but I haven't spent much time on the Stormcloak side of things (their uniforms are just so... Ugly) so I don't have much of a frame of reference.

However, given what we knkw of Talos, and of his dominant side, Hjalti Earlybeard AKA Tiber Septim, I don't see him helping the Stormcloaks. He was a crafty, long-term kind of guy who got into bed with enemies to gain an advantage. He turned the Redguard against each other, collaborated with the Tribunal, assassinated his own king, manipulated Nordic religion to his own ends... I don't think he'd have the slightest problem with Concordant...

Provided the Empire really DOES plan to strike back.

Well, given that the common people, especially Nords and Imperials, believe the orthodoxy rather than the heresy (that's why it's called a heresy), most people would view Talos in a much more honorable and straightforward light. For example, in that his king was killed by a Breton Nightblade, rather than Talos himself.