A More Realistic Fauna Mod?

charwo

Interest in a Realistic Animal  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in more realistic animal mod?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes to some of the ideas, but not all
    • No, but some of the extra animals sound awesome!

I'm trying to see if there would be interest in creating a more realistic animal fauna scape for the Mohave Wasteland. Note this wouldn't mean no mutant creatures, simply less of them. A more realistic fauna scape would include the following:

Standard Fauna

1. Real-life Steer

2. Bison

3. Black Bears (not Yao Gui)

4. Deer

5. Real-life Bighorn Sheep

6. Wild Horses

7. Big Cats

8. House cats

Exotic Fauna (imported pre-war and thriving post war):

1. Camels

2. De-extinct Shasta Ground Sloth

3. Cheeta

4. Hyena

5. Alligators (around Lake Meade and replacing most Lakelurks)

6. Giraffes

7. Lions

Proposed changes to mutated Fauna*:

1. Molerats, no change

2. Radscorpions- reduced in size, Giant to normal, and normal to standard size, and thus harder to hit.

3. Ants- to dog size

4. Cazadore- no change

5. Nightstalkers- no change but less common, being mostly replaced by standard fauna

6. Mantis-maybe smaller, maybe not

All would spawn less, except in specifically Lore appropriate areas, such as Thorn Fights

A full list of things that could inhabit the Mohave is here:

http://www.desertusa.com/animals.html

I especially recommend the entry on Southwestern Camel Experiment

Tell me what you think!

I just wish someone would do something to add iguanas to NV the way MMM did to FO3, iguanas being an obviously heavily farmed food animal in both the past (you find tons of it in vaults and in sealed prewar areas) and post-apoc times in Fallout America, and where would you have most of your iguana farms? Areas like Texas and Mojave are the perfect environment for it.

Edited by greenknightfury

• 1 month later...

Why aren't those animals mutated? What made them keep unchanged despite many others (including humans) getting heavily altered? I for one would be disturbed to see a cat that looks just ..like a cat. Call me a purist if you want :)

Also, the exotic fauna would be a bit immersion breaking. I'd be disturbed to see a giraffe or a camel in Nevada. Mod seems interesting, don' get me wrong. But a bit immersion breaking, as some of these creatures have no place in Nevada, others make you wonder how'd they survive unchanged.

• 10 months later...

You Just read my mind. Modern games are just about shooting sadly. A mod which adds actual wildlife in the Mojave desert would make fallout new Vegas 100 times better in my opinion. I do only think that animals native to the Mojave should be included though. I'm just sick of deathclaws and giant bugs it makes no sense. Fallout is great but the ignorance in the mutations bothers me. I do hope that this mod gets created one day for new Vegas or even a version for fallout 3 is released. I'm surprised nobody thought about this way earlier.

You Just read my mind. Modern games are just about shooting sadly. A mod which adds actual wildlife in the Mojave desert would make fallout new Vegas 100 times better in my opinion. I do only think that animals native to the Mojave should be included though. I'm just sick of deathclaws and giant bugs it makes no sense. Fallout is great but the ignorance in the mutations bothers me. I do hope that this mod gets created one day for new Vegas or even a version for fallout 3 is released. I'm surprised nobody thought about this way earlier.

It is easy to think of something, but animating entirely new creatures into the game is basically the hardest of all modding tasks.

Why Tony? Is it modeling new animations? I don't need or want that. Cribing off the standard animations like the Animalia mod seems to do from standard Skyrim templates would do just fine.

You would have to rig it onto a current Fallout 3/NV animal skeleton.

Deer, horses, cats, camels, sloths, cheetah, alligators, lions, giraffes... None are going to look all that great rigged to the existing movements of one of the animals.

What do we have to work with? Scorpions, Deathclaw, Bears, Flies, Ants, Dogs, Rats, Bighorns, Brahmin, Centaur, Geckos, Lakelurk?

Do you plan on rigging a giraffe to the skeleton of a Scorpion? Do you plan on making a sloth rigged onto a Lakelurk or a Brahmin? Do you think a lion or cheetah would look natural rigged onto a Bighorn?

People who know how to put a 100% custom rig and animations into the game engine are the rarest kind of people around this website. People like me who can 3d model are a dime a dozen in comparison, scripters are a dime a dozen, voice actors are the same.

Then you have to combine those custom animations into a set of behaviors so that the animal will do stuff around the game world.

Without all of that, the animals might as well just be statues. I can 3d model a cheetah, but I have no where near the ability to make one move like a cheetah in the game.

My best estimate is that a mod like this would take years to complete.

Edited by Tony the Wookie

Naw, set the giraffe with the Brahmin, the sloth with the mole rat. Let the perfect not be the enemy of the good. And who asked for Giraffes? They wouldn't survive in the Mohave. Boston or the other hand.....

In any case, making wolves, realistic cows, realistic bighorn sheep and house cats, as well as say boars and Hyenas are not far steps away from the already existing models. In fact, I've seen a cat mod (companion) one headed Brahim (I want real cows but it's a start), Real Bears, and while I've not seen wolves per se, I have seen the Fallout 3 K9 mod which adds all manner of dog breeds, so both wolves and hyenas are immanently doable. I imagine even doing things like alligators and snakes (love you Niner!) could be doable with radscorp animations if kept to realistic (AKA small) sizes. Oh and I've played with just a smaller insects mod and Cazadores the size of Hawk Wasps are TERRIFYING. You literally need a flame thrower or VATS. I never run from a fight in a videogame, and I ran the crap away from tiny cazadores of death.

And who asked for Giraffes?

Number 6 on your second section of your list in the original post.

Anyways, from my experience I think it would be 100% impossible to rig a sloth onto a mole rat skeleton or a giraffe onto a Brahmin skeleton. I've never seen a game engine that would allow you to stretch a rig. I'm no professional animator, but I did have to take 3 classes in animation in art school and I have made animations and imported them into Unity and Unreal.

Though I have never tried importing an animation into Fallout, so take my words at what they are, non definitive.

The other ones besides the alligator seem possible.