Blender 3D Modeling Help

clockout1

Sorry for this time I'm learning about a tutorial and I have only downloaded Blender but not used it well.

But you can try to find help on the Blender Official Site : http://www.blender.org/education-help/ it looks like you have changed something in your preferencies or keys configurations, have you deactivated your numpad, etc...

I found a Tutorial here on Nexus but your configuration may be different.

MOVING THE VIEW VS. MOVING THE MODEL

----------------------------------------

Learn how to manipulate the view in Blender. With my configuration, I am able to hold the Middle mouse button to move the view camera, and Shift+Middle mouse to rotate the view. Scrolling the Wheel zooms in and out. NumPad 5 will switch between Orthographic (no distortion) and Perspective (distortion based on angle and distance) views. NumPad 1 sets the current window to the Front view; 3 sets it to the Right view; and 7 sets it to the Top view.

Your configuration may be different. Try to find a Blender hotkey reference online.

If you select part of the model and drag it, that part will translate depending on your view. If you haven't worked in a 3D environment before, getting the right perspective could be a challenge. Don't be afraid to experiment.

I wish this may help you. :happy:

So I have Blender. But, I think I screwed something up, because now I can't see the arrows that allow me to move an object. Please help me.

You don't have to use those arrow cursors to move the object. That is just the way to do it visually. You can also grab the vertex, line or face and press "G" for grab, then "X" to move along the X axis...same goes for Y and Z.

I usually turn those things off but if you want to turn them back on, you simply need to click the correct button.

EDIT: Screenshot not necessary, keyboard shortcut to enable/disable the arrows is CTRL + SPACE. When you do that, you can see which button on the menu bar is toggled. It is to the right of "View / Select / Object / Object Mode" and looks like a hand with the index finger pointing up. The technical name of the control is called "the 3d transform manipulator"

Oh, you might want to look at my Blender Tips for other such commonly used keys.

LHammonds

Well now I've run into another problem. The arrows are there, put they point in direction in accord with the selected object, and not the axes themselves. Any help?

In case you didn't understand, I meant: The arrows don't line up with the axes. For example, the direction the y arrow points is determined by the objects orientation, and not the actual axis like I want it to.

EDIT: I fixed the problem. If you press Alt-Space, you can change the orientation.