It's an awesome game but...

ric36

I wish Bethsoft wouldn't take things out of games that they had in previous games, and I am not talking about graphics and models. In oblivion you can use a shield, it would have been great if they had have left that funtionality in FO3. There are many things that could be used as shields, dustbin lids. riot shields, improvised shields, like a board with a handle nailed on to it.

Armor that comes in pieces. Why the full outfit thing? It would have been cool if there were trousers, shirts, jackets, gauntlets, etc, that could be mixed and matched. I appreciate that the game engine still supports this, but the game never came with models that support it.

I like more skills, like 1h slashing, 1h bludgeoning and 1h axes, all of which should require separate skills. I appreciate that it deviates from the original fallout ideal, but it increases my immersion.

I wish ammo had weight, like arrows did in fallout. It shouldn't be possible to carry over 10000 rounds of ammunition and still be effective.

Despite all of this, I still enjoy the game and I think the modding facility is awesome, which helps overcome some of the out of the box limitations and issues. So all in all, I guess I am very happy with it.

Ric36

I agree with you on your second point, concerning the armour.

Itd be great to be able to do this in the vannila game. :turned:

Although, im not so sure about sheilds, immprovised or otherwise...

i doubs a roit sheld could deflct a burst of plasma, or even the 5mm rounds from a muties mini-gun. And im sure a blow from a mutie, with a nail board would be pretty effective even if the shock is delivered through a bin lid. It may not be in the game, but hell, that would break anyones arm, if they werent wearing power armour , that is.

Im not sure theres much variation between hitting someons head with a bat, and hiting it with an axe, but more variation in skills are needed, it alot harder (or so i'd imagine) to handle an assault rifle that a pistol. like-wise, a minigun and a flamethrower are very different, too different in my opinion to be classed together.

Oh, and i think there is a mod for ammo with weight, im not sure what it is though, sorry :sweat:

Well on the subject of shields, there is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_shield, but ingame, I have also faced raiders wielding baseball bats when I was armed with an M16 assault rifle. If raiders think that's a good idea, they would probably be keen on sheilds as well and if you had little in the way of weaponry and were likely to come across raiders with baseball bats or combat knives, a riot shield or a dustbin lid would be handy.

On the subject of game engine limitations, I guess that is correct, these aren't engine limitations. If you wanted to add a shield to the game, you would be starting from the ground up. I know it would require custom animations, would probably need to be created as a piece of armor, but how to show it in first person view and have it move when you block and have the game use the shield instead of your equipped weapon is science beyond me. Certainly a heck of a lot harder than adding a new gun or ammo. Ultimately, I have been modding the game since I first finished playing it in September last year and the thing that struck me was things that did not include stuff that they had in oblivion, like the extra skils, models and animation. Oblivion itself left things out that were in Morrowind, like medium armor, pauldrons, spears, etc.

I think I am suffering from modding fatigue.

I haven't really looked into adding the extra skills myself, but thinking about it now it should be possible, so I might do it.

Anyway, by far the best thing about the game is how moddable it is. If you don't like something, then generally, you can change it.

Ric36

On the subject of game engine limitations, I guess that is correct, these aren't engine limitations. If you wanted to add a shield to the game, you would be starting from the ground up. I know it would require custom animations, would probably need to be created as a piece of armor, but how to show it in first person view and have it move when you block and have the game use the shield instead of your equipped weapon is science beyond me. Certainly a heck of a lot harder than adding a new gun or ammo. Ultimately, I have been modding the game since I first finished playing it in September last year and the thing that struck me was things that did not include stuff that they had in oblivion, like the extra skils, models and animation. Oblivion itself left things out that were in Morrowind, like medium armor, pauldrons, spears, etc.

Adding a sheild would be a game mechanic, which would have to be programmed, but it isn't part of the game engine.

If you want to complain about the game engine, that would include stuff like the lighting problems and the lack of shaders or the game crashing a lot (my game never crashes at all, but if it did it would be the game engine) or the fact that you can't add physics to parts of a character.