Half empty or half full?

Keanumoreira

Why is half full always seen as positive? A swimming pool may be half full of savage crocodiles.

Why is half empty always seen as negative? A half empty jerry-can of petrol may mean that your task of filling the car's petrol tank is half done.

From a Buddhist point of view it is not important. What is important is how one deals with the situation, how one responds to it. Positivity or negativity are in us, not in the bottle be in seen as half full or half empty.

Gosh, I sound so wise!

Well yes. Siva just pad you on the back, didnt ya see?

x)

Well thank you slygothmog, that was very kind of you to say.

My pleasure Keanumoreira :smile:

I just realised i didn't put my view forward, to me everything is half empty, yes i am a natural pessimist, but there is a saying " to an optimist, a pessimist is a realist ", and i think this is correct.

I'm gonna take a math stance here.

If it is half empty than it is at -.5. If it is half full then it is +.5. So, since negatives cannot truly exist (although they can be symbolically represented, and things may be subtracted, you may never truly have a negative answer in any real life scenario), the glass is half full, where full is +1 and half full is +.5.

I'm gonna take a math stance here.

If it is half empty than it is at -.5. If it is half full then it is +.5. So, since negatives cannot truly exist (although they can be symbolically represented, and things may be subtracted, you may never truly have a negative answer in any real life scenario), the glass is half full, where full is +1 and half full is +.5.

What do you say? Half empty is hardly -.5. More likely it is +.5 when +1.0 is full.

The idea that at -1.0 something'd be empty is rather too too, as my grandma might have muttered.

Ever heard of the value 0 ?

In my opinion there isn't any empty glass, because if it is visually empty it still has air in it. And if you would use a vacuum pump to make it airless, it still has vacuum in it. 

If we look at the position of negative and positive of that view, I can assume that there is never a truly negative that can't be solve in a way or another. Or in other words: The only problem is the individual point of view in this debate, because every body is thinking something else and adopts the positioning in the debate with his own view the negative and positive.

If you view the glass you look into yourself.

You just called it a debate..... That makes me giggle! :) Nothing even close to a debate has happened here, since Malchik and Peregrin had it out in the No Religion thread....

The best debate about the glass.  It's the topic of this. 

I've covered above a lot of the physics and the philosophical view of the glass from my point of view.  My 1st simple statement reached into the math and logical proved that there is no zero.  My 2nd statement above implied the questions "Who are you? and how do you view the world?" 

Well, 1st  that moved the debate on a point where it's useless to argue with simple math. 2nd I've made it shift to the simple social question that is constantly bothering every body.  

I assume, that going of topic is a way to say that I've been right and the debate is closed.  :biggrin:

If not, then argue on about a glass that is filled with every matter of oneself.    :whistling:

Since you've broad it on the table, why not shift the view of the glass to religion?