Why everyone thinks that the Empire is bad?

Dragonovith

Travelling with a caravan usually takes longer than travelling on foot,

Caravans actually tend to travel faster between cities, because they typically have better equipment such as wagons, and an abundance of pack animals. In some cases, depending on the size, they can even continue travelling through nights, when smaller groups would be required to stop and rest. The only thing which is prone to slowing them down are stops in villages and cities to trade goods, but The Real Barenziah gives no indication that they stopped anywhere on their trek, and it was a straight trip.

The Pocket Guide states 250 miles from Almalexia to Red Mountain. The closest point identified as Red Mountain is the southren coast of Vardenfel (the entire island was called Red Mountain as of the publication). Arena states 200 miles from Riverwood to Whiterun (i was wrong the first time, my Canada was showing and i said km). Daggerfall, taking place without even a full province, is over 60,000 square miles.

Is you apply conventional military approaches and troop movement, the Great War simply does not match up to the known scale of the world. The only way to reconcile it is to state the Great War is incorect (in the same way Christie Golden think's the Tauren can stroll from Orgrimmar to Mulgore in a morning, when it took Thrall 3 weeks to make it from Northwatch to the Ashenvale border) or there was Magic involved.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Empire is a parallel of the Romans, They are swarthy, dark complected and have Italian Surnames.The Greeks and Aegean cultures at one time worshiped multiple deities and Talos of Atmora (Tiber Septim) was a parallel of Jesus of Nazareth. What would the religions be without the deification process?

Heimsker as much as I dread his railing is correct in pointing out that Talos "Rose from the dung of mortality, to walk among the stars".

If you are a religious type the White/Gold Concordat would be like re writing the Bible without Jesus..

Money can buy peace for a time As in Iraq AD 2010. But there is always blow-back; think Iraq AD 2014 ISIS.

Was Bushes war worth the cost ?

History tells it all..

The Empire is a parallel of the Romans, They are swarthy, dark complected and have Italian Surnames.The Greeks and Aegean cultures at one time worshiped multiple deities and Talos of Atmora (Tiber Septim) was a parallel of Jesus of Nazareth. What would the religions be without the deification process?

Heimsker as much as I dread his railing is correct in pointing out that Talos "Rose from the dung of mortality, to walk among the stars"..

I must have missed the part of the story of Jesus where he lied about where he came from, murders his king, sells little girls to his generals, betrays his closest advisors and unleashes a crime against nature in a bid for power.

Talos, despite actually being a God, is more in line with Julius Caesar and Alexander. They both possesed minor cults which were feverishly protected for a few centuries (the cult of Talos is barely 200) before being stamped out. It's also worth noting that religions have been stamped out many times in history. Aten is the first I am familiar with, but the entire Roman Pantheon was outlawed to placate Christian militants, and it has never recovered.

Wasn't Talos technically already a demi-god, being that he was a dragonborn, and dragons are the children of Akatosh? As far as I know demi-gods need but to live a heroic life, in order to become an immortal.

Talos is referred to as Ysmir, which is a nord name for a shezzarrine, the mortal representation of an Aedra like Lorkhan and Akatosh. (which does make him similar to Jesus in a way) which could in theory mean that every dragonborn is a shezzarrine for Akatosh or Lorkhan, or perhaps even both (a child of both should be possible, gods don't require a certain race or gender to reproduce). Which would mean that the dragonborn is the guiding hand of the aedra on tamriel.

Which by the way, strengthens the argument that the thalmor and empire are similar to the romans and the jewish of that time and age.

Edited by Valkasha

Heimsker as much as I dread his railing is correct in pointing out that Talos "Rose from the dung of mortality, to walk among the stars"..

I must have missed the part of the story of Jesus where he lied about where he came from, murders his king, sells little girls to his generals, betrays his closest advisors and unleashes a crime against nature in a bid for power.

Talos, despite actually being a God, is more in line with Julius Caesar and Alexander. They both possesed minor cults which were feverishly protected for a few centuries (the cult of Talos is barely 200) before being stamped out. It's also worth noting that religions have been stamped out many times in history. Aten is the first I am familiar with, but the entire Roman Pantheon was outlawed to placate Christian militants, and it has never recovered.

Historically, Jesus was a rebel leader. He just failed at it horribly. His followers just spun his story to make him sound mildly successful.

The relationship between the Romans, Jews and rising Christians is a deeply complicated one that is often misrepresented, particularly by the Jewish and Christian camps. There is little evidence of actual religious persecution by the Roman Empire until the rise of Christianity, and by and large it seems to be in response to a violently militant body of Christians who were burning temples and murdering priests...

As for Talos... Talos was 3 people. Hjalti Early-Beard, a Highrock-born Nord who became a general for a Colovian King (Cul-somethng) and who later murdered him and usurped his throne. He was aided by a disembodied Wulfhearth Ash-King, who was actually Ymir, and who tricked the Greybeards into declaring Hjalti, Ysmir. and Zurin Arctus, a Battlemage. All were Shezzarines, though only Hjalti was Dragonborn, and Hjalti deliberately betrayed Wulfhearth and accidentally murdered Zurin in the process.

I suppose if being part-god equates to a Jesus allegory, then yes, you could call Talos a Jesus figure... But the same could be said for the CoC or Nerevarine.

Well, to be fair, Jesus wasn't nearly as "nice" as He's made out to be...still, he was no Tiber Septim. ...Tiber Septim was a dick. Really, a Dragonborn -- any Dragonborn -- is far more akin to Christ than Talos. Talos was a mortal (well, several mortals) who ascended, whereas Christ was an element of the Trinity -- an aspect, perhaps, to put it in TES terms -- who was sent to earth as a mortal. (But born of only one human parent, presumably because original sin is passed down the male line, and having only a female parent was a way to avoid that and create a perfect human.) It still isn't perfect, as a Dragonborn is basically just a dragon stuffed into a mortal body, whereas the nature of Christ is rather more complicated -- both fully human and fully divine (although that's still not something that'd be out of place in TES...)

So, the Last Dragonborn is far more a Jesus archetype than Talos, although the LDB isn't actually Akatosh. It's more like...it's like if God decided to put Michael the Archangel in a human body to fight Satan, basically. Since the dragons are essentially angels to Akatosh's God archetype.

No you're wrong there, Talos was three people (part of a trinity, hello), one of which was the son of a god, Lorkhan or Akatosh, send to earth as a mortal. Technically he didn't ascend, but regained his place among the ''pantheon'', much like Heracles. It is not known whether he had human parents, although he certainly was raised by humans and up till a certain point, probably believed he was a full human. What seems more logical to me is that Akatosh and Lorkhan made a child together, and implanted its soul into a human husk.

Really he has quite a lot of similarities to a lot of mythological beings but in the end, it's still a myth loosely based on what actually happened. The bards college quest line should give you an indication of what happens to lore in the elder scrolls universe.

Edited by Valkasha