Mages Guild Quest Bug?

kalosj

Hi all,

Been replaying Oblivion atm and have run into a bug - I cant complete the Chenydenal mages guild quest?? When i go into the guys room to find the letter and black soul gems, all i find is the soul gems? No letter or next stage quest dialogue. I run a fair few mods but couldnt begin to guess which one might have caused the issue?

I've been trying console commands to try and move the question onto the next stage, but cant find the right info for. Anyone have any ways of solving this issue?

Cheers

Kal

Letter or not - the quest wont get past it - the quest marker still points to the chest of draws in the corner of his room, even tho I have the 2 black soul gems, and I cant talk to the lizard about the next stage???

Kal

I had that problem too once, I don't know why really. Maybe because I was expelled during that. Well I went a new game and redone it, and it worked.

I guess you don't have the time for that, so, from the Cheydinhal Recommendation page at UESP,

just write this:

setstage MG02Alter 90 - you'll still need to talk to the Argonian mage

~or~

setstage MG02Alter 100 - finished completely

Not sure if you are still looking for a solution, but are you by any chance using Unnecessary Violence? The throwable soulgem feature makes the black soulgem not registering as the quest item. You can either disable that function in the .ini if UV or you can get a fix here

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=28677

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if you are still looking for a solution, but are you by any chance using Unnecessary Violence? The throwable soulgem feature makes the black soulgem not registering as the quest item. You can either disable that function in the .ini if UV or you can get a fix here

How awesome. I just ran into this problem and was looking for an answer and here it is ^.^ I tried just disabling UV in the data window and it didn't fix it...I'll try the patch you mentioned here and if that doesn't work, I'll just use the command list to finish it. Thanks for the accidental help everybody XD

Edit: The patch didn't work either so I just input the SetStage MG02alter 90 command after I talked to her about Falcar running off and her wanting me to find the gems and it worked fine for me. The soul gems disappeared from the chest too...I hope it doesn't affect anything else badly but at least it's finished :D

• 2 weeks later...

How awesome. I just ran into this problem and was looking for an answer and here it is ^.^ I tried just disabling UV in the data window and it didn't fix it...I'll try the patch you mentioned here and if that doesn't work, I'll just use the command list to finish it. Thanks for the accidental help everybody XD

Edit: The patch didn't work either so I just input the SetStage MG02alter 90 command after I talked to her about Falcar running off and her wanting me to find the gems and it worked fine for me. The soul gems disappeared from the chest too...I hope it doesn't affect anything else badly but at least it's finished :D

You can disable the soul gem effects from UV in UnnecessaryViolence.ini in the oblivion/data folder

;Soul Gem Effects (boolean):

;This mod alters soul gems on the fly in order to achieve its effects. In theory there shouldn't be

;any compatibility problems, but if you are experiencing problems with soul gems related to a conflict

;with another mod then you can disable UV's soulgem effects by setting this value to 1.

I personally disable this feature because I don't throw soul gems. That said, you need to use the patch or change the .ini before you open the chest and aquire the soul gem,