Performance

BrilliantShade

Hello, I've been modding Oblivion a while but I am new to the forums. It seems that I have modded the game so heavily that the performance of it is compromised, I know which mods are the culprits but I do not wish to disable these mods as I rather enjoy them :tongue:

See, the thing is, my PC is powerful enough to run crysis on highest settings without so much as some minor lag in places (Not boasting, merely explaining :wink:) and I feel compromised that I cannot run a game from 2006 without noticable performance loss, even if it's purely due to the mods :tongue:

So I was wondering if there is any way to increase the performance of the game without compromising (I'm using this word too much) the heavily modded graphics, perhaps to enable the game to access more video memory or something along those lines. Or maybe there's another mod similar to 'Oblivion Stutter Remover' (Which I already have installed) that may help performance?

I'm not asking for a miracle, I'll accept it if there's no way of doing what I ask.

Here's some info:

System Specs:

•  
  • Windows 7 Home Edition 32-bit
  • 4 GB of RAM (3.25 usable)

• 2.60 GHz Dual Core processor
  • ATI Radeon HD 4850 with 2GB available graphics memory and 512MB dedicated video memory (Not sure which of these is most important)

This might not sound like much, but as I mentioned before it is enough to run crysis on highest settings without performance loss.

Oh, and the main culprit for this loss of performance is the mod named "ENBSeries for TES Oblivion v0-075a" And yes, I have configured the .ini to disable some features that have a large effect on performance.

Thankyou for your help!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, I've been modding Oblivion a while but I am new to the forums. It seems that I have modded the game so heavily that the performance of it is compromised, I know which mods are the culprits but I do not wish to disable these mods as I rather enjoy them :tongue:

See, the thing is, my PC is powerful enough to run crysis on highest settings without so much as some minor lag in places (Not boasting, merely explaining :wink:) and I feel compromised that I cannot run a game from 2006 without noticable performance loss, even if it's purely due to the mods :tongue:

So I was wondering if there is any way to increase the performance of the game without compromising (I'm using this word too much) the heavily modded graphics, perhaps to enable the game to access more video memory or something along those lines. Or maybe there's another mod similar to 'Oblivion Stutter Remover' (Which I already have installed) that may help performance?

I'm not asking for a miracle, I'll accept it if there's no way of doing what I ask.

Here's some info:

System Specs:

•  
  • Windows 7 Home Edition 32-bit
  • 4 GB of RAM (3.25 usable)

• 2.60 GHz Dual Core processor
  • ATI Radeon HD 4850 with 2GB available graphics memory and 512MB dedicated video memory (Not sure which of these is most important)

This might not sound like much, but as I mentioned before it is enough to run crysis on highest settings without performance loss.

Oh, and the main culprit for this loss of performance is the mod named "ENBSeries for TES Oblivion v0-075a" And yes, I have configured the .ini to disable some features that have a large effect on performance.

Thankyou for your help!

You could try Streamline instead of Oblivion Stutter Remover (you can't run both simultaneously). It's made gameplay for me a hell of a lot smoother, especially while running so many graphics enhancing mods. I’m not really all that knowledgeable on this kind of thing, so that's really all that I can offer you.

helo Im new to the forms and my spellings not very good. ther is a way to forrs oblivion to use how ever much ram your computer has you have to go to documents my games oblivion then thers a dockument file that reads oblivion. create a back up of it and open it. I lost the information on which one you change the numbers on but on gamefaqs.con their should be a walk through that tels you how to tweak a bunch of things on it. I hope that helps

You could try Streamline instead of Oblivion Stutter Remover (you can't run both simultaneously). It's made gameplay for me a hell of a lot smoother, especially while running so many graphics enhancing mods. I’m not really all that knowledgeable on this kind of thing, so that's really all that I can offer you.

Wait, I am not supposed to use both? o.O I used both >.<

Have you tried optimized texture packs? That might help (as well as LOD texture packs). Major one's are Qarl's I believe, and some others out there. They may have high end texture packs that have optimized settings as well as being PPyffi or something to that and it does improve performance slightly. Also, check out Streamline or Stutter remover (as said above), and look up the oblivion optimization guide here:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_2.html

which may help you when you edit the Oblivion.ini file (MAKE SURE TO HAVE A BACKUP), and that may allow a further boost in you machine depending on your settings. Check out the hyperthreading section as well. Oh and make sure to really read up on Streamline too. It does do some things to the ini file. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your replies everyone.

@NGF: I will give streamline a shot, it says no where on the download page that you can't use stutter remover simultaneously so I will try both at the same time. This one sounds promising, thanks. :smile:

@darlaten1: I assume you mean the Oblivion.ini? I suppose it's a good idea to look up optimised settings for that on google. :smile:

@rondivu: I already have qarls texture pack III installed, are you saying that speeds up performance rather than slows it down?! That's both awesome and very surprising, seeing as they look more clear and high res :smile: so thanks for that.

I'll post the results later on today, thank you everyone. :thumbsup:

hello I hope this is the right form spot my computer has wendows vista 880 MB of ram to use and a 7150 gforce inter graded video card all the video setting except texter size and viewing distance as low as they will go when Iplay oblivon whet mods at first it plays fine but as i fasttravel or go into belding it lodes slower and my carecter starts lagging really bad is ther any thing I can do about it besides make the texter small

@NGF: I will give streamline a shot, it says no where on the download page that you can't use stutter remover simultaneously so I will try both at the same time. This one sounds promising, thanks. :smile:

I've never tried running both myself, though I read here that Streamline is incompatible with Stutter Remover. Not really sure what it'll do with both enabled. Hopefully nothing bad. :tongue: