ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Trying to make a character mod

Gankaku

I'm trying to make a customized CM Partner. I want it to look as realistic as possible so I'm using Facegen Modeller.

I've tried following these instructions by LFact - however, my character just looked like a regular Oblivion character, not like I want with a lifelike head model.

So I'm back to what I started to do (via the CS and exporting the head via Facegen). I understand that I have to Export the file to a .tga in Facegen in order to get the best look. I've done that. According to urll (who makes a ton of great partners on TES) I have to now get the file to a dds file. Fine, I can do that.

What then do I do with the dds file?

urll posted this one a forum where he was showing off his Partners:

"Once I get the face into SI facegen by using the Photofit (click on SI Facegen's Photofit tab and import your photo of the face you want) I then export the face as a TGA image file and use DDS Converter (free software, google it) to convert the face file into .dds format.

From there I go into Construction Set and create a new race and point that race's face to the file I created. If you want more in-depth info let me know."

The problem with his data is I want to point the race's face to the file created (I'm assuming the dds file) --- I've tried to figure out how exactly to do this and cannot so far. Any clues?

Thanks!

I think that the easiest way to make a face is to...

1. Create a new game and make a character that matches all of the physical criteria (race, hair, eyes) of the NPC you are creating a face for.

2. Use the console command "COC Weye" to quickly get outside.

3. Create the face via the face gen "showracemenu".

4. Open the console back up if you closed it so that you can hit ESC and save.

5. Use Wrye Bash to import the face into some dummy plugin (from the save.)

6. Esmify the source plugin you need for the face.

7. Load up the dummy plugin, the companion's plugin and the source mods (that were esmified.)

8. Tweak the face in the TESCS with the finishing touches.

9. Use the copy command in TESCS to copy the face over onto the companion (and save.)

>> notes: The face may will not look quite right until you select the companions, race, hair and eyes to match (while still in the CS.)

I have found that you have to use "guesstimation" when trying to create faces for companions in the construction set. I found your (player) personality,fame, and infamy can really alter the faces of others around you. I also think the game itself uses less detail when it applies faces to Npc's.

I have found that you have to use "guesstimation" when trying to create faces for companions in the construction set. I found your (player) personality,fame, and infamy can really alter the faces of others around you. I also think the game itself uses less detail when it applies faces to Npc's.

Well, that is not true. Your personality affects your expression changing, but that does not change the face's base appearance. The game does not distinguish between the PC's face and NPCs' faces. There is a head mesh and textures for the head. The game displays the textures mapped to the mesh. That's about it...

Edit: I create all of my faces in the TESCS. Then I tweak them in the game, maybe in a test save I use for face making.