ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Random, erratic crashes?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember, you have to reinitialize SL in game when you make changes with SL loaded. You have to use the Init from INI command...

How do I reinitialize SL? (other than deactivating the ESP, saving, then activating it again)

did you read through the documentation that comes with streamline?

===================================================================

Default Hotkeys

===================================================================

- Streamline Main Menu: CTRL-home

- Perform cache purge: CTRL-del

- Perform Streamsave: F10

- Set max vLOD (detail): CTRL-]

- Set min vLOD (detail): CTRL-[

- Set auto vLOD (detail): CTRL-backspace

- Fine-tune vLOD up: CTRL-.

- Fine-tune vLOD down: CTRL-,

- Toggle Streampurge: ALT-p

- Toggle Streamsmooth: ALT-f

- Toggle music (delayed): CTRL-m (experimental)

- Fast-Quit: (default is off, suggest CTRL-F12)

- Force Kill Corpses: CTRL-insert

We recommend remapping the default Oblivion Quicksave key

to F10 (via Oblivion's Options menu), and setting the Streamsave

"Perform Save" key to F5. That way when you hit F5 (which you

may be accustomed to), the save that is made is part of your

Streamsave rotating savegame list.

It is perfectly safe to enable the Fast-Quit hotkey if you have

enabled "save before fast-quit", as a save is made immediately

before the quit is processed.

Uhhh...

If you make changes to the sl.ini file after you have installed and played with Streamline active, you will need to initalize the mod with the new sl.ini values for them to take effect. You can do this in the SL Main Menu by choosing the "Special Actions" button, and choosing the Re-Initialize option.

You mean that?

Uhhh...

If you make changes to the sl.ini file after you have installed and played with Streamline active, you will need to initalize the mod with the new sl.ini values for them to take effect. You can do this in the SL Main Menu by choosing the "Special Actions" button, and choosing the Re-Initialize option.

You mean that?

Yes.

Ok that worked fine, I got my FOV set to 90 now (for some reason setting FOV to 90 in oblivion.ini just causes weird crap to happen). As for OSR, Im beginning to believe that its the hashtable resizer, not the optional critical section, thats causing the instability. However, I havent done any prolonged tests so I cant be certain. Ill find out more the next time I play (probably in a few days as Im rather busy this week). Also, if you look at the comment thread for RefScope, Ive been having a weird problem with the mesh-less targeting token appearing in-game on some new characters (I made several new characters to test things, it appeared on a female argonian but not any of the others) that looks like a big "WTF? I have no mesh!" stuck to my hand.

Recently Ive been experiencing lots of random, erratic crashes occurring for what seems to be no reason. They can happen anywhere at any time and dont seem to be associated with any location, item, NPC, etc. They havent shown up in any specific pattern, as I can reload a save after crashing, do the exact same thing, and not get a crash the second time. Does installing a lot of mods usually cause this kind of problem? Or could it be caused by some other issue (like a couple incompatible mods, corrupt save, etc.)? Help with rooting out the problem would be appreciated, as CTD every hour or so is rather annoying. Btw, my save file is about 5.2 MB and I've done quite a bit of mod installing/uninstalling on it, if that helps.

Another side note, I have weOCPS to prevent crashes and its been acting rather weird and not exactly helpful. It plays a sound whenever it changes data in memory to prevent a crash, and usually the "crash prevented" sound is followed immediately by a CTD. Im not sure how helpful this tool is for preventing crashes and how many crashes it has even caused by messing up values in memory. I also have the log files if that helps at all.

EDIT: Another thing, I have the latest versions of OOO and MMM installed (MMM for OOO compatibility version of course), but I dont have FCOM (the installation process makes me want to cry, especially the part about starting with a clean install of oblivion). I have used BOSS to sort the files I have. Theres no problem with that right? :P

Hi SkullKnight.

I was getting erratic crashes occurring for what seems to be no reason. I just saved regularly but other game problems seemed more immediate and i posted here for help. lol I do not want to be a fanboy but the advice that tomlong gave me not only fixed the problems I asked for help on but loads of things that I had not asked about. crashes was one of them. but there was still a few occasions of crashes that i fixed last week with a great anty crash mod that has worked a treat for me.

Windom Earle's

Oblivion Crash Prevention System for OBSE

(weOCPS for short)

This mod worked for me.

Knightofyourlife

Recently Ive been experiencing lots of random, erratic crashes occurring for what seems to be no reason. They can happen anywhere at any time and dont seem to be associated with any location, item, NPC, etc. They havent shown up in any specific pattern, as I can reload a save after crashing, do the exact same thing, and not get a crash the second time. Does installing a lot of mods usually cause this kind of problem? Or could it be caused by some other issue (like a couple incompatible mods, corrupt save, etc.)? Help with rooting out the problem would be appreciated, as CTD every hour or so is rather annoying. Btw, my save file is about 5.2 MB and I've done quite a bit of mod installing/uninstalling on it, if that helps.

Another side note, I have weOCPS to prevent crashes and its been acting rather weird and not exactly helpful. It plays a sound whenever it changes data in memory to prevent a crash, and usually the "crash prevented" sound is followed immediately by a CTD. Im not sure how helpful this tool is for preventing crashes and how many crashes it has even caused by messing up values in memory. I also have the log files if that helps at all.

EDIT: Another thing, I have the latest versions of OOO and MMM installed (MMM for OOO compatibility version of course), but I dont have FCOM (the installation process makes me want to cry, especially the part about starting with a clean install of oblivion). I have used BOSS to sort the files I have. Theres no problem with that right? :P

Hi SkullKnight.

I was getting erratic crashes occurring for what seems to be no reason. I just saved regularly but other game problems seemed more immediate and i posted here for help. lol I do not want to be a fanboy but the advice that tomlong gave me not only fixed the problems I asked for help on but loads of things that I had not asked about. crashes was one of them. but there was still a few occasions of crashes that i fixed last week with a great anty crash mod that has worked a treat for me.

Windom Earle's

Oblivion Crash Prevention System for OBSE

(weOCPS for short)

This mod worked for me.

Knightofyourlife

I really dislike that mod. I vouch for doing all that you can to prevent crashes before putting that extension on your setup. Plenty of users run crash free game without it, and I do not see it as necessary. It made my setup more unstable, but that is not the case for everyone...

Yeah don't reply to such an ancient post lol. Ive completely reinstalled my game and reconfigured my mods since I posted that. weOCPS never really did much to prevent crashes for me on my old setup. Whenever the "crash prevented" sound played, my game would immediately crash afterward. On my new setup, RAM limitation seems to be the main problem.

Also, is there a good texture pack that you would recommend? I saw that recently a new retexture mod was being released, and I was wondering if I should replace my vanilla world textures.

Yeah don't reply to such an ancient post lol. Ive completely reinstalled my game and reconfigured my mods since I posted that. weOCPS never really did much to prevent crashes for me on my old setup. Whenever the "crash prevented" sound played, my game would immediately crash afterward. On my new setup, RAM limitation seems to be the main problem.

Also, is there a good texture pack that you would recommend? I saw that recently a new retexture mod was being released, and I was wondering if I should replace my vanilla world textures.

Oh... Your system specs were kind of lost in the 8 pages. What are you working with again? I have many texture replacers. I did not like some of the things I saw in that 2010 retexture, and that pack must eat a ton of VRAM, with textures twice as large as Qarl's. I do not see the point.

My BAIN Package List - http://sites.google.com/site/oblivionpoinfo/lists/mybainlist <-- There are plenty of recs here. I need to update this too. If you do not want to see any sort of FPS impact. Check out CorePC's Vibrant textures pack.

I really dislike that mod. I vouch for doing all that you can to prevent crashes before putting that extension on your setup. Plenty of users run crash free game without it, and I do not see it as necessary. It made my setup more unstable, but that is not the case for everyone...

The crash's that weOCPS fixed for me where crashes from ingame reload. this happened on clean set up (no mod's).

I had read that this was a known bug. and I don't get that crash any more. instead weOCPS gives two blips so I know its worked.

so I guess its because I do not have any other mods that conflicted with it.

Oblivion Mod Manager has shown me how many conflicts I had. I just bit the bullet and chose the mods I wanted the most and removed any thing that conlicted with them. thats made a noticeable difference

knightofyourlife