Moral Dilemma: Joining the Dark Brotherhood

Lioness446

Legionaires and Stormcloaks don't qualify as innocent people.. Also if they attack you first just for walking past them, then they're not innocent by default.

Yes exactly, the self defence argument comes into play here. No court in the land will imprison you for defending yourself with "reasonable force", even in the real world.

Also ingame, you won't attract a bounty if you're attacked first which reflects that, and bandits invariably attack first. I always give them the choice but I've yet to find one that puts away their weapon and leaves me be...

Edited by soupdragon1234

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm... all interesting points you guys bring up. Of course, I don't think anyone is completely innocent;

Bandits kill and/or imprison civilians so they can take their stuff

Animals... well, I always try not to kill them, as they are probably just defending their territory or food sources the only way they know how.

Dragons are a race that have enslaved all of human and elven kind once, and will burn the entire continent if it means being able to do it again. (Paarthurnax, Odahviing, and Durnehviir are the only dragons who even try to overcome their "conquering" nature. If it's in their nature, you could say they can't control themselves, but clearly this isn't the case since these three dragons don't try to kill you.)

Mercenaries may be supporting their families, but they could have easily chosen a profession where they don't have to kill anyone who walks by or work for someone who is despicable. (*cough* Maven Black Briar *cough*)

And I guess by being forced to kill, I meant someone else pitting me against another person who hasn't really done anything damning. If they attack me unprompted by any evil daedra, I have no problem with defending myself. (Such as Uthgerd Unbroken in the Bannered Mare. I just walked in, and all of the sudden she wanted to kill me! WTF?!)

I always thought of Leggionares and Stormcloaks as innocent, since they are just fighting for their beliefs, after all. They aren't wholly innocent, since they've most certainly killed, but at least they truly believe they're fighting for a good cause. And honestly, I think they both have good reasons to fight, it's just that they're directing their aggressions at the wrong side. They should be fighting the Thalmor, the only ones who actually want them to slaughter each other.

Yes exactly, the self defence argument comes into play here. No court in the land will imprison you for defending yourself with "reasonable force", even in the real world.

Ever hear of Battlefield Murder? Even soldiers can be tried for killing enemy soldiers in battle. He'll, civilians can be tried for killing soldiers who are attacking them. It has also been a common law throughout history that killing a Soldier of the Crown is a capital crime, regardless of circumstance.

The moral definition if murder, and the legal definition, have almost nothing to do with each other.

Your character is a mass murderer. You kill soldiers, bodyguards, aedra and daedra cultists, tribes of forsworns in their own camps.The list goes on. Even bandits, you kill them but you don't know what every single one of them did. You don't give them a proper trial and you're not the law. And you kill not just to defend yourself. Sometimes just to retrieve a sword or shield, like all those lives you took were worth it. So you have any moral dilemma about joining the DB, maybe you shouldn't play the game after all.

Edited by fgambler

Your character is a mass murderer. You kill soldiers, bodyguards, aedra and daedra cultists, tribes of forsworns in their own camps.The list goes on. Even bandits, you kill them but you don't know what every single one of them did. You don't give them a proper trial and you're not the law. And you kill not just to defend yourself. Sometimes just to retrieve a sword or shield, like all those lives you took were worth it. So you have any moral dilemma about joining the DB, maybe you shouldn't play the game after all.

All of those you mention will attack you upon sight. You don't exactly have time to give them a trial do you? It's kill or be killed, that's not murder, especially from a moral standpoint.

All of those you mention will attack you upon sight. You don't exactly have time to give them a trial do you? It's kill or be killed, that's not murder, especially from a moral standpoint.

It just need 1 soldier or 1 bandit saying "That's close enough" to invalidate your point.

Edited by fgambler