How do you pick your character names?

elooocin

I was curious to know how you guys pick your characters names, or even you dog name in game. Do you just use names spawned by the game, try to stay true with medieval/fantasy names, or just pick a name at random?

Let's see if I can remember most of mine!

Kirsten (elf mage) - my guy's niece was staying with us for the weekend when the game came out, and since that is her name my first character got named after her.

Cara (human noble) - I was watching Legend of the Seeker as I was making my character, lol! And now months later her armor is actually on the nexus .. I may have to remake that character just so she can wear her own clothes lolol!!

Abigail (human mage) - I have always had a thing for the name Abby/Abigail ... no idea why it's just so cute and she was a goody-goody so it seemed to fit, lol!

Sarim (human noble) - If I remember correctly I got the name from a Cousland ancestor.

Koko (elf evillllll mage) - Koko Taylor was singing "I'm a Woman" at the time.

And some characters I have had but not finished the game with are Allison (Goldfrapp was singing), Leon (Kings of Leon was singing), Lily (Lily Allen ... you see the pattern here, :laugh: ). For my doggy I have named one Walter b/c I was watching Fringe at the time, Tarty b/c I was eating sweet tarts, Mocha b/c I was drinking a Cafe Mocha, and um yeah .. always random or things sitting around me ... like how I named one Happy b/c a Sonic cup was sitting in front of me that said Happy Hour! :woot:

Currently my city elf warrior is named Julie b/c Julie Andrews was singing to me when I made her.

So what about you guys?? How do you name your people and what names have you had in the past?

I was curious to know how you guys pick your characters names, or even you dog name in game. Do you just use names spawned by the game, try to stay true with medieval/fantasy names, or just pick a name at random?

Let's see if I can remember most of mine!

Kirsten (elf mage) - my guy's niece was staying with us for the weekend when the game came out, and since that is her name my first character got named after her.

Cara (human noble) - I was watching Legend of the Seeker as I was making my character, lol! And now months later her armor is actually on the nexus .. I may have to remake that character just so she can wear her own clothes lolol!!

Abigail (human mage) - I have always had a thing for the name Abby/Abigail ... no idea why it's just so cute and she was a goody-goody so it seemed to fit, lol!

Sarim (human noble) - If I remember correctly I got the name from a Cousland ancestor.

Koko (elf evillllll mage) - Koko Taylor was singing "I'm a Woman" at the time.

And some characters I have had but not finished the game with are Allison (Goldfrapp was singing), Leon (Kings of Leon was singing), Lily (Lily Allen ... you see the pattern here, :laugh: ). For my doggy I have named one Walter b/c I was watching Fringe at the time, Tarty b/c I was eating sweet tarts, Mocha b/c I was drinking a Cafe Mocha, and um yeah .. always random or things sitting around me ... like how I named one Happy b/c a Sonic cup was sitting in front of me that said Happy Hour! :woot:

Currently my city elf warrior is named Julie b/c Julie Andrews was singing to me when I made her.

So what about you guys?? How do you name your people and what names have you had in the past?

I name mine depending on what im playing. in World of Warcraft, i am a blood elf Paladin, so i named my Char "Elequin", because it is elven sounding.

Normally i use names like "Salem", "Wolf". or of course, "Pyrosocial".

I normally use the same names unless im playing off line, because i want ppl to know that "yes, i killed you in that game, and i post on nexus too."

Andi - For any Male Human character. Just my name, but with a 'i' instead of a 'y' at the end.

Balin - For any Male Dalish Elf character (main character, the guy in my avatar).

This is the brand-name of the leg-rope on my surfboard. - And I just love the name 'Balin', so I use it for most my game characters. :biggrin:

Oh yeah forgot the Dog. The first time I played I called him Bruno.

This time it's Eli - saw the trailer for 'The Book of Eli' on tv at the time.

Edited by andreweve1

I usually use variations of my own name to keep my games seperate from my fiance's games. For the dog, Buster for human nobles, enchanter for mages, then for dwarves or elves the person they lost, Nesiara, Tamlen, Neleros, Trian, Leske. Hey, it doesn't say what gender the dog is after Ostagar.

^Actually, Dog is male, as he is referred to as a "he" and "boy" in dialogue. Took me a while to realize that myself, and I was quite upset when I did because I'd already given "him" a feminine name... I simply assumed that Dog was just gender-neutral, like many video game animal companions. Wish they'd made his gender clearer earlier. :wacko:

For the sake of simplicity I always just call him Khan (the name of the titular character's horse in the Disney movie "Mulan". lol). :smile:

I choose my names a variety of ways. Sometimes like with my Elven mage I will resort to fantasy literature and movies and try out a few names then pick one. In this case I resorted to an old familiar one that I use for alot of my Casters and Named her Damion. It's kinda evil sounding. :wink:

My main is Katrixia after a friend who's nickname is Kat, and shes a trickster. :)

I love my dogs name, its not very warlike but he does roll around and act silly, so he is Rollio.

lol

cheers and happy Hunting

GG

^Actually, Dog is male, as he is referred to as a "he" and "boy" in dialogue. Took me a while to realize that myself, and I was quite upset when I did because I'd already given "him" a feminine name... I simply assumed that Dog was just gender-neutral, like many video game animal companions. Wish they'd made his gender clearer earlier. :wacko:

For the sake of simplicity I always just call him Khan (the name of the titular character's horse in the Disney movie "Mulan". lol). :smile:

Wow, I never caught that. Good to know, so I guess Nesiara is out. I like yours, but I would think of Gengis. ;)

sometimes I come up with my own and other times I'm not feeling creative and I just use the name in the creator or slightly change it so it's a bit different then the default name.

For a human noble name I look to old classics or mythology and usually get something like Prospero, Prometheus or usually something that starts with a "P" as his father keeps calling him "Pup." (For some reason that really bothers me when he does that too.)

For a (non-Dalish) mage I try to come up with something that sounds a bit mystical even if it winds up being made up.

City elves get named like hippies used to name their children, using a non name as a name but I don't go overboard with stupid names like "Moon Unit;" current character is named Swift.

For Dalish elves I start with the same non name that a city elf would get but I then run it through an elven translator first. (Yes, I know that is Tolkien elvish and not DA elvish but I don't think my characters notice so it's ok.)

I've only done one Orlesian warden and I don't recall what race he was but his name was Dartagnan.

I don't do dwarves.

And then there is dog... Current one is named Kitty :whistling: but I have used everything from an obscene insult to regular dog names, named him Ser Dog once so he might get a little more respect. (You have to use Alt+255 to get the space in-game)