New Death System

krimzin

I just had an interesting idea for a mod. I did the quest for molag bal where you basically piss off a pacifist into killing you, just before you die Molag bal returns you to his shrine and refills your health. Then I got inspired to do a mod partially based on how this worked and the game Soul Reaver.

Basically, in Soul Reaver, you never 'die' when your health reaches zero, your material body is destroyed and your spirit passes into the spiritual plane, which looks exactly like the material plane but with a ghostly hue and distorted architecture. Then to return to the material world, you must find an uninhabited body and you will possess it, retain your old form and return back to life.

So, I was thinking this could be done somehow for oblivion, thus eliminating the need to die and restart from an earlier save. Just lower the players alpha, and move them to a mini dungeon with a pale aqua/green lighting tint where they must progress and find a means of returning. The spectral planes could be done much like the planes of oblivion with a few different cells the player could be transported to randomly upon 'death.' Also, to go a step further, you could place a player copy where they 'died' and remove the original player's gear, so that the player needs to get back to their former corpse to retrieve their gear, kinda like Diablo.

It seems easy enough to do, I suck at modding and I know how to do most of this, minus the going to a random plane part, and lacking the creativity to make new unique dungeons.

I believe that there is already a mod that does something similar to this idea. It sends you back to an Oblivion plane and you have to get out. I can't quite remember what the name of it though. I would ask the mod detectives for the name of it. Sorry I can't help out more. :confused: