This 'I'm entitled to my opinion' rubbish has to stop.

Halororor

Opinions  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Are you entitled to your opinion and nobody may say anything against it?

• Yes. Bow before my opinion!
    • You are entitled to one, just don't expect everybody to like it.
    • No, your opinion is just that, an opinion. What worth is it to you if you aren't willing to accept disagreements on it?
    • No, opinions are just for losers anyways.

This is something that has really started grating on my nerves lately and I have to get it off my chest.

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, in a way. What I mean by this is you have the right to state your opinion, you have the right to stick by it and defend it. What you do not have the right to is to have us worship and accept it just because it's "my opinion and if you don't accept that I'm calling the whaaaaaaaambulance." Some people expect you to bow down before them and not say anything bad about their opinion just because they think opinions are like sacred goats to Loki, not allowed to be harmed by anyone. Well, I say to you, bull feces.

You are allowed to have your opinion, and if there is something which I do not agree with, I am going to point it out. If your opinion is flawed, I am going to tell you that it is. If your opinion shows that you are misinformed, I am going to say that. Your opinion should be ever changing, constantly being altered as your intelligence, maturity and knowledge on a subject grows. If you want your opinion to stay constant throughout your life, have a blissfully ignorant life.

When I disagree with your opinion, don't take it as a personal afront, I really don't even have the time or patience to have vendettas against people halfway across the world. It's just somebody trying to help you by pointing out the flaws in your reasoning on a subject. If you want to take it personally, by all means, do so. And enjoy your fortress of solitude while you're at it. Really, what does it matter what some skinny git halfway across the world has to say about your opinion anyways?

So, in conclusion, yes you're entitled to an opinion, just don't expect me to respect it if I believe it to be worng and don't get angry if I call you out on it.

So, what do you guys think?

Interesting thesis it's bound to cause some contention among the politically correct. An opinion is just that, differentiated from a fact which is harder to refute. Still, one can deal with opinions without causing neural damage to the owner or at least one should try.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”

- Emperor Marcus Aurelius

People are entitled to their own opinions, but with that entitlement comes an unspoken agreement to listen to others peoples opinions, consider them, compare, and have a logical and reasonable debate about them.

We have our own vision of our own world depending on what level we are involved in it. An opinion unavoidably changes with our own experience of life and what we have to face or fight it out. People must avoid having a one-sided attitude. This kind of positive attitude allowed you to forge a rich and solid experience in your life and the way you could grow in mind.

I loved a quote LHammonds made in an another topic saying : "You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid." And I personnaly live with that statement from Mark Twain : "What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so."

We are entitled to one, but i think alot of us take it overboard. :whistling:

True, there is a fine line between being opinionated and overbearing. Perhaps the best example of respecting another persons right to an opinion is Voltaire, following the burning of Helvetius L'Esprit

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

True, there is a fine line between being opinionated and overbearing. Perhaps the best example of respecting another persons right to an opinion is Voltaire, following the burning of Helvetius L'Esprit

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Nice saying summarizing the topic, Kudos given to you, ginnyfizz. :thumbsup:

I suppose the only relevant opinion is one based on fact. If fact is not present, the opinion has no merit. It is simply an uneducated stance that someone takes based on his/her limited knowledge. If you have taken the time to research your point it is not an opinion, but could quite possible be a fact. A fact should be listened too carefully, and acknowledged. An opinion should be acknowledged by an opposing opinion. When one opinion has enough facts that are both relevant and numerous then that opinion wins the argument. It becomes.... fact....

That's just my opinion I suppose.... It's up to you to make sense of it, I'm still entitled to it. Any opposing opinions? :laugh:

I agree with you, but I find it unlikely that all 15 people who have voted in this (who clearly voted for the options that you seem to favor) aren't being a little hypocritical. I'll admit that I can be stubborn when someone tries to change my opinion (on a purely subconscious level), but on a conscious level I know what you're saying is true. Just like I know how to spell consciously when I try, but it's not my natural reaction. My natural reaction is to mis-spell it, and when I'm not paying particular attention to grammar I rely on Chrome's spell check.

Also, you're on the internet. I would say that about half of the people in the debates forum that I've dealt with were either trolls or had not at all considered their opinions, or questioned conventional thinking. Thus leading to the issue you've presented here.

This is actually why I don't post here so much...

An opinion should be acknowledged by an opposing opinion. When one opinion has enough facts that are both relevant and numerous then that opinion wins the argument. It becomes.... fact....

What if both opinions are true to the one that states it. Culturel facts can be very different. Even scientific facts can vary when tesis are not fully proved. Sometimes we just have to accept that we can only agree on one thing: that we don´t agree :thumbsup: