Set the player spawn point?

Pumpkinbot

Since New Vegas is seriously lacking in alternate start mods (with Roleplayer's Alternate Start being the only one I came across), I've decided to go about making my own.

It's coming along nicely, but I've ran into a problem: I don't know how to make the player spawn in my new cell. I've opened up Roleplayer's Alternate Start for a reference, and it looks like the mod author deleted VCG01PlayerStartMarkerREF from Doc Mitchell's house, and added in their own reference, but I have zero experience with references, and the GECK page on them doesn't tell me anything about how to add them.

I posted on the Steam forums about this, and that's what led me here. Here is the original thread. Guy sent me a bunch of links, but there's just not a lot of information on it online. :T Closest he sent me was a guide on how to make an alternate start mod for Oblivion, but Oblivion's just too different from New Vegas for that to really apply.

VCG01PlayerStartMarkerREF is a reference of the base object called XMarkerHeading. You can't find it in the object window, because the object windows only contains base objects, not references. So you need to create a reference in your cell to XMarkerHeading. Then double click on the reference and type VCG01PlayerStartMarkerREF in the editor ID. But since you can't have two references with the same editor ID, you need to delete or rename the original in Doc Mitchell's house.

VCG01PlayerStartMarkerREF is a reference of the base object called XMarkerHeading. You can't find it in the object window, because the object windows only contains base objects, not references. So you need to create a reference in your cell to XMarkerHeading. Then double click on the reference and type VCG01PlayerStartMarkerREF in the editor ID. But since you can't have two references with the same editor ID, you need to delete or rename the original in Doc Mitchell's house.

Huh. Simple as that? Doesn't sound bad.

If I can't find XMarkerHeading in the object window, where do I find it?

EDIT: While I'm at it, I should also make Ain't That A Kick In The Head not start automatically, right? Would that cause problems? One of the problems I had with Roleplayer's Alternate Start is that it auto-completed that, so I moved on to They Went That-A-Way, despite me not being the Courier. :P Now, my ex-Legion slave has the option to ask everyone in Novac where a man I never met went.

Edited by Pumpkinbot

XMarkerHeading is a static object. You could quickly find it by typing the name in the filter and selecting all at the bottom of the object window. :wink:

Ohhh, I see! Thanks, I'll try that out. c:

EDIT: Strange. I deleted the PlayerStartMarker in Doc's house and tried to name a new one in my new cell the same thing, and it said "Nope, can't do that, a reference is already named that." Still, after looking through VCG01's script stuff, I might have what I need.

I named the reference in my new cell SPNVPlayerStartMarkerREF (with SPNV being an acronym for the mod name), I made Kick In The Head no longer automatically start, and I made a new quest that does automatically start, and at step 0, I told it to player.moveto SPNVPlayerStartMarkerRef. Testing it now!

EDIT 2: Welp, it crashed. When I made a new game, it immediately spawned me in a black area with nothing. All the UI elements were there, but the compass had one of every marker all the way to the left, and there was an enemy health meter that was empty. A few seconds later it crashed. >.> So I guess that's what happens when the game has nowhere to spawn the player. Gonna dig around a bit more.

Edited by Pumpkinbot