Mod Request Thread

WarKirby3333

New thought. Something that would add an aura around people who have quests attatched to them that would be visible at a distance. I'm tired of walking up to a "bandit" camp, killing the inhabitants, then realizing that I just killed the master trainer of whatever. Or, trying to sneak up to verify that their bad guys, and getting spotted and wacked. I'm thinking that a red haze around the npc for a active or future quest, and nothing for everyone else.

I've seen a mod that adds something like this - it was a variant of detect life - danger sense or something like that, I wish I could remember the name for certain. It made enemies illuminate with red instead of the default, friendly purple. You could easily see which ones are foes in a room full of people, and I have to say as a bonus, it helped keep some of my rather more enthusiastic companions alive (I could more easily tell them from enemies in the fray of battle). I don't use the mod anymore, so I can't look up the name for you, but I got it here, so a search should turn it up.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure about a stun mod, but you can use paralyze potions on your arrows which will stop enemies in their tracks for about 2-5 seconds (depending on the potion strength). Also, when you get high enough in the Marksman skill, your shots have a chance to knock opponents down, which is amazingly funny to see when they are charging you! Just don't make the same mistake I did and assume because they are down, they are dead.

That necessitates carrying around a crapload of paralyze potions (which, at least at this point in the game, aren't easy for me to make or come by) and shooting someone who then simply collapses like a, well, rag doll for three seconds looks pretty goofy anyway. The stagger animation is the general effect I was going for, and it seems to be pretty much perfectly suited to being struck with an arrow. The master marksman perk works, but it'd be much more realistic to have it open to all levels of marksman. If it's possible to recode the knockdown to a disarm or a stagger, that'd be awesome.

If not, it's just an idea for a (minor) immersion mod, so no big deal. Just looks kind of goofy to shoot a bandit three times in the face and all he does is keep runnin' towards me ;)

I'm looking for a mod that follows the World of Warcraft / Guild Wars / NWN system where you have a row of icons on the bottom of the screen and you just need to click on the relevant icon for that action to be performed, ie for different spells, rather than relying on just 8 hotkeys or having to pause the game every few seconds to change the ready spell to cst int eh menu system.

Anyone able to create something like that?

I'm looking for a mod that follows the World of Warcraft / Guild Wars / NWN system where you have a row of icons on the bottom of the screen and you just need to click on the relevant icon for that action to be performed, ie for different spells, rather than relying on just 8 hotkeys or having to pause the game every few seconds to change the ready spell to cst int eh menu system.

Anyone able to create something like that?

How exactly would you 'click' on something while in GameMode?

How about instead of trying to turn oblivion into WoW/GW/NWN, you play WoW/GW/NWN.

I dont mean to sound harsh but there's no point trying to turn one game into another that you prefer. Everyone has their taste, stick to it.

The problem is, people want the aspects from certain games to mix in with another. Try telling Project Serpent to stop.

I have never been able to modify anything other than basic stuff that anyone can do, but something like this is completely outside of my hands, which is why I am hoping that one who is very knowledgable about modding and scripting might be willing to take some time to create this mod for me, and anyone else who may be looking for something similar. I realize that I can only "inspire" the creation of the mod, and that the finished work might not be exactly what I had in mind...but something that is close would be great too.

Anyways...on to the description.

Leveling mod...

1. Earn exp for kills, creating stuff(potions)

2. gain levels once you hit a "checkpoint"...aka earn enough experience

3. you gain x points per level to spend on attributes per level. 1 point puts up the attrubute by 1 point. No increase in cost to attain higher levels.

4. amount of experience required to gain the next level should be exponential, but not insane.

5. should be able to gain enough levels to eventually max out skills, but should be very difficult to get the last few levels, due to the exponential scale

6. If you have played Gothic 3, then that is basically the type of leveling system that I am referring to

7. I would have it that it would cost some gold to put up attributes as well, going up almost exponentially as well...but at a lower rate...much lower than exp rate.

8. exp for weak monsters should be low, but good for leveling at low levels for that reason...you're weak too

9. very hard monsters and bosses should be worth a LOT of exp, and should be good for leveling at higher levels at a nice pace...

10. if possible, make it compatible with monster mods(that add new monsters, or change difficulty/stats of monsters like OOO or Francescos or mmm...you get the idea)

11. there is a bar that shows your progress until your next level and your total exp earned

I saw earlier that the people who are undertaking Project Serpent are doing something very similar(but still quite different) to what I am suggesting, but that is for a total conversion mod, which would not work for normal oblivion + monster mods.

I greatly appreciate your time and contribution to the modding community and its loyal fans. Thank you.

Were I to try something along these lines, I probably wouldn't scrap the existing leveling system immediately, but rather build up a separate system piece by piece. I'd probably start by allowing the player to 'purchase' certain bonuses, such as resistance to various things, skill/attribute increases, Greater and Lesser Powers, more health/magicka/fatigue, etcetera. At this point, there would be an activator that could be used to set available [XP unit]s. Once I was satisfied that this was working properly, I would then attempt to set it up so that quests and kills provided [XP unit]s, ideally without modifying quests or enemies. Having gotten this to be sufficient to allow acceptable character advancement on its own, I would disable the accumulation of skill experience, probably by setting an appropriate multiplier to 0. I would then perform gross tuning, release it as a beta, and use input on the beta to fine-tune it.

Note, however, that I would not be inclined to make such a mod, nor to use it. Advice, and to some extent assistance, would be freely given to someone working on such a project.

Everyone has their taste

Precisely.

I don't quite get the point of all the total-conversion requests either, but it sounds good to at least one person - and somewhere out there, somebody thinks your mod ideas are the dumbest thing ever.

Just because you don't agree with something, isn't a valid reason for anyone to censor themselves. ;)

Archived