GECK won't load a mod when it gets too big?

madmongo

I am working on a new worldspace. When I try to place objects on the landscape, everything seems to work fine, but then it's as if there's a problem when the mod gets to be too big. The next time I try to load the mod in the GECK it doesn't load. It locks up at something like 96 or 98 percent of the load and that's it.

Is there a size limits to mods?

Seriously, this tool set is just one problem after another. I've spent far more time figuring out workarounds for things that don't work as they should than I have actually working on the mod.

You're going to be disappointed when you read this.

I think I might be having the same problem... GECK doesn't actually lock up in my case, but it will just stop loading properly. The status bar reads "Loading files... 99%" and goes no further, the Object window is empty, Cell View is also empty, but I can actually change panes, use the menus, even load up the script editor from the menu. But I can't edit any other objects and can't save anything. FNVEdit reports that the plugin in question has no errors, no circular levelled lists, nothing - but GECK goes all "durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" when I try to load it. And I have no idea how to fix it.

Run GECK in Vista SP2 compatibility mode. Get an LAA (4GB) patcher like the one from ntcore (google it) and patch the GECK with it. If you have an ENB and use the wrapper version, then disable the d3d9.dll (or any other thing that places a dll with that name in the install directory) by renaming it or moving it somewhere else. If you are still getting crashes you can make several plugins and then merge them together later with FNVEdit.

also trying editing your GECKcustom.ini and set bUseMultiBounds=0

Edited by RoyBatterian

I admit that my situation is a bit different to the OP's; My plugin has quite a lot of masters, (all five main DLCs, FOOK, Mo'.esm from the Book of Earache, and WMX, along with my own SelectZoom.esm) but given the memory usage (see below) I don't think size is the issue in my case. Now, with that said...

Run GECK in Vista SP2 compatibility mode.

This actually led to GECK crashing when I tried to load the mod, as opposed to just giving up with no compatibility mode set. Not exactly a worse outcome, but not an improvement either.

Get an LAA (4GB) patcher like the one from ntcore (google it) and patch the GECK with it.

I'm not seeing GECK's memory usage break 300MB, so I don't think that's going to help me.

If you have an ENB and use the wrapper version, then disable the d3d9.dll (or any other thing that places a dll with that name in the install directory) by renaming it or moving it somewhere else.

This didn't change anything.

If you are still getting crashes you can make several plugins and then merge them together later with FNVEdit.

This might well help the OP, but I don't think it's going to help me.

also trying editing your GECKcustom.ini and set bUseMultiBounds=0

Again, this didn't make a difference for me.

DaWrecka: I was answering the original post, not yours. You should probably start your own thread rather than hijacking someone else's since your problems are totally unrelated. However, you can try bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1 in the GECKcustom.ini

However GECK is known to have issues with loading plugins that use esp's as masters, in which case you should probably be using GECK PowerUP fork.

ENB is known to make GECK crash, period.

Running the GECK in Vista SP2 compat mode is known to prevent GECK from crashing on Windows 7 and 8... YMMV

DaWrecka: I was answering the original post, not yours. You should probably start your own thread rather than hijacking someone else's since your problems are totally unrelated.

Mmm... I thought perhaps my issue was related, but you may be right.

However, you can try bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1 in the GECKcustom.ini

Way ahead of you. This isn't the cause of the issue; If I had that set to zero, GECK would just straight-up refuse to load the plugin at all. I've run into that brick wall before.