.dds works in NifSkope but not Oblivion

Genzel

I created a mesh and textured it, and everything works fine in Nifskope. When loaded in Oblivion, I get the yellow and red colors going on.

Here is my nifskope of the weapon: http://www.imagebam.com/image/33ade582479263

Is there something wrong with my nifskope settings there? or is the texture wrong. It is in .dds format and appears fine in nifskope. I see no reason why it isn't working.

Here is an image of my texture in GIMP: http://www.imagebam.com/image/7ec15b82479538

Anyone know the problem?

Actually, Purple objects are the missing textures.

The Yellow diamond is the nif-file that's placed at the wrong place. Nifskope (And CS till a certain extend) allows you to open meshes/textures wherever you placed them. Oblivion however requires you to place the textures (.dds) in the data\Textures folder (or subfolder) and the Meshes (.nif) into the the Data\Meshes folder (or subfolders). Place it in there and it should be working.

I'll check again, but I'm quite sure that is where they are located. Is that the only way to get a red/yellow appearance? I'm not getting the missing mesh yellow diamond, the mesh appears, but with a red/yellow checker pattern.

EDIT: .nif is in meshes, and .dds is in textures. The mesh shows fine in game, the texture is just displayed as red and yellow.

Jup, that's right. Textures of any other size that is not the power of two won't work. Had a similar problem once, when GIMP decided to add some extra pixles to the image upon saving and resulting in non working 512x513 textures. I took me some time to see what was wrong.

The image you linked to is 529x526... is that the actual size of the image? If so, resize it to 512x512 and try again. Oblivion only likes dimensions in powers of 2.

-Razorpony

I saw the title and immediately thought it would be incorrect image dimensions and sure enough the image was not in a power of 2 as razorpony said.

Since the image is almost a perfect square, a resize down to 512x512 will probably not mess up the match with the UV Map.

LHammonds

Seems like you had several problems preventing this from working then.

Do you have a normal map image as well? Did you resize it to 512x512 too?

Make sure the texture path inside the NIF is correct. How To Fix Hard-Coded Texture Paths in NIF Files

LHammonds

I guess I should just explain my process.

First, I made my UV map in blender, exporting it as a .tga.

I edited this file in GIMP, and exported as .dds.

From there I linked this to my .nif file which was exported from blender.

The file should have been 512x512 the entire time.

The file path is correct and embeded to \data\textures\weapons\gurguranttexture.dds

I guess I should just explain my process.

First, I made my UV map in blender, exporting it as a .tga.

I edited this file in GIMP, and exported as .dds.

From there I linked this to my .nif file which was exported from blender.

The file should have been 512x512 the entire time.

The file path is correct and embeded to \data\textures\weapons\gurguranttexture.dds

try this file path: textures\weapons\yourtexturename

the only other thing I can think of is your tex not matching with your UVmap, I had that problem once evethough I worked right of the UVmap, I know no fix for it. If there is one, I'd like to hear it too