Help in modding needed!

Pavijan

First of all : Hi to everybody here! English is not my native language so I'm apologizing in advance for eventual grammar mistakes.

Now, I'm completely new to modding in general but I started a work on mod of Fallout 3 of my own. it progressed fine I have learned a lot in process of making it, but recently one big problem had stopped me. So I need help from more experienced modders. So problem is : how can I make an item in NPC's inventory invisible when stealing(and therefore unstealable) but visible (and because of that lootable) when he (or she) is killed? I'm missing knowledge in scripting but I'm willing to learn some of it if it's doable. So tell me please guys is there some way that I can accomplish this?

This is fairly important part of mod to me and I had already put a lot of time in it, so any help will be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I think that a script would work in the case. Try something like

Begin OnDeath

(NPC).additem (ITem) 1

end

You might want to add in a bit where it ensures that it was the player that killed the NPC, but I forget how to do that specifically.

You might want to add in a bit where it ensures that it was the player that killed the NPC, but I forget how to do that specifically.

'OnDeath Player' is all you need for that. But that would be risky in case the player has a companion who delivers the last blow, meaning the item won't appear.

Also in this case you don't need the reference ID of the NPC to add an item to him. If you just use 'additem ItemID' it'll add the item to whatever the script is attached to. :smile:

So that would mean:

scn YourScriptName

begin ondeath
additem YourItem 1
end

Attach it to the NPC and it should work just fine. :thumbsup:

That's great! :woot: I thought that solution would be something like that, but lacked the knowledge to do it. Will try it as soon as I can!

Thank you a lot guys! :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, just one more thing - Will this script work even if it's attached to some other item that NPC is carrying? For instance : if I want for it to happen to every NPC that is having certain kind of armor, and I attach this script to that armor so that i don't nave to do it to every NPC individualy.

I'm sorry if I'm bothering but I don't have a suitable save game to check it right now, so it would take some time. Thanks for answer! :smile:

That's great! :woot: I thought that solution would be something like that, but lacked the knowledge to do it. Will try it as soon as I can!

Thank you a lot guys! :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, just one more thing - Will this script work even if it's attached to some other item that NPC is carrying? For instance : if I want for it to happen to every NPC that is having certain kind of armor, and I attach this script to that armor so that i don't nave to do it to every NPC individualy.

I'm sorry if I'm bothering but I don't have a suitable save game to check it right now, so it would take some time. Thanks for answer! :smile:

You can go the script route but you don't have to. On the npc screen you will see a dropdown called 'death item'. Whatever you choose here will show up in their corpse but not in their inventory while living.

You can go the script route but you don't have to. On the npc screen you will see a dropdown called 'death item'. Whatever you choose here will show up in their corpse but not in their inventory while living.

What he said.

Thank you all for answers guys! Some situations I have solved with scripting (with multiple similarly equipped NPCs) and some with Death Item (wondering how I didn't notice that before :blink:). You're been very helpful, problem solved! :smile: