Modding Advice

randomcakes1234

Hi,

I got back into skyrim a few days ago and decided i wanted to mod it more seriously this time around. After some experimenting around yesterday i want to get some advice before i continue as to what kinds of mods i should or shouldn't use.

My system specs:

win7

i5-750

4gb ram

hd5850 1gb vram

1920*1200 resolution (+2nd monitor but i dont run the game on that)

i run the game of a ssd but i only have sata2.

Today i did a fresh install and did some benchmarking with skyrim performance monitor using the intro sequence of the game (untill you enter the keep)

Vanilla/DG/HF/DB, no hd textuer dlc

memory: ~800-900mb

vram: 700 climbing to 850

cpu: around 40%

gpu: 99%

fps: 40-50

Vanilla/DG/HF/DB with hd texture dlc

memory: ~1250

vram: 1000mb

cpu: cant remember but similar to no hd textures.

gpu: 99%

fps: cant remember exactly, but some stuttering when moving the camera quickly.

most noteworthy to me is that the gpu is at 99% in both cases :S.

Yesterday i tried abit of STEP, i remember the game feeling very smooth and nice after installing ENBoost and cleaning up the base esp with tes5edit, with hdtexture enabled. I only had fraps for fps at that point and i think it was around 50, but as i started installing graphics mods my fps went down and stuttering went up, eventually being closer to 35. It was better indoors though. Most of the mods used 1024*1024 textures.

My current plan is to stay away from graphics mods except for maybe a few (i'm thinking hair/faces mostly), and just stick with UI/sound and npc/creature/item mods. But would love some advice on some graphics things i can do on the low end of computers.

oh and how important is it to stay under 1000mb vram? i understand this is the main cause of stuttering.

Edited by randomcakes1234

Your system isn't fantastic, so you should probably stay away from most graphics mods and mods that add many NPCs like Inconsequential or Interesting NPCs.

You can get most gameplay tweaks though, while you should stay away from huge quest mods with lots of huge battles, etc.

• 1 month later...