Can't change NPC gear

Right.

Recently I downloaded the mothership zeta crew mod. A fantastic mod except for a few things that I just despise about it. For some bizarre reason the soldiers use earth guns instead of the alien guns and they have some really crappy armour. So I resolved to make a mod for the mod (as its packaged as an ESM) that would replace the gun with an alien rifle and the armour with Enclave power armour (considering they're supposed to be former Enclave).

But it won't do it.

I can get them in the armour but it won't let me put the guns in. I add them to their inventory but they refuse to use them. In the mod for the mod I deleted the original gun from their inventory leaving just the new gun and now in my test NPC he has both guns.

Whats going on? Why can't I get rid of this gun?

are you testing with a clean save? "A save that was made before you activated your new mod." the gun may already be in his inventory because of the save. Try disabling your new mod, save the game. Reenable your mod and see if all is fine.

Are you working on an NPC that uses a template? That could explain why he is using an inventory that you did not want him to use. Also, if the NPC's allowed weapon list does not include a weapon that you give him then he will not use it.

Are you working on an NPC that uses a template? That could explain why he is using an inventory that you did not want him to use. Also, if the NPC's allowed weapon list does not include a weapon that you give him then he will not use it.

Yeah I modify the template. Also explain the NPCs allowed weapon list please?

Right thats it. I've spent hours on this trying to get it to work so I just give up.

If someone else can do it thats great if not I'll just forget about leading an army from space and accept that I'm stuck with people who look like they raided a vault armoury.

Are you giving the NPCs weapons with ammunition? I give NPCs weapons from the Levelled Items list, like "WithAmmoLaserRifleEnclave1" because they will not use weapons if they run out of ammo.

I may have confused human NPCs with the supermutant's weapon list in my earlier comment.

Are you giving the NPCs weapons with ammunition? I give NPCs weapons from the Levelled Items list, like "WithAmmoLaserRifleEnclave1" because they will not use weapons if they run out of ammo.

I may have confused human NPCs with the supermutant's weapon list in my earlier comment.

Yeah I make sure to give them ammo. Tried using levelled items list versions too.

It's really got me stumped. Although this is the first time I've ever tried to fiddle with the GECK so no wonder I'm failing.

Still in the working armour situation though. It just makes no sense with the guns.