Is mathematical ability and computer ability interrelated?

SpellAndShield

The one does not necessarily follow the other, when referring to general, or even advanced computer literacy. This is for one simple reason: knowledge of mathematics is not required for using a computer.

Since mathematical aptitude is not required for computer literacy, it follows that such aptitude also does not grant one any special ability with computers, except perhaps in the case of programming, and even there, it is more logic skills that are required than anything else. While it's true that both math and programming foster logical thinking, but I've heard (and seen for myself) of many a programmer who was an absolute idiot with his computer (aside from coding, that is). I've also heard (and am one) of programmers who have fairly poor math skills. It boggled my high school computer science teacher's mind how I could fail Algebra II and pass her class so easily.

So, in sum: they are tangentially related, but there is definitely not a strong correlation.

The one does not necessarily follow the other, when referring to general, or even advanced computer literacy. This is for one simple reason: knowledge of mathematics is not required for using a computer.

Since mathematical aptitude is not required for computer literacy, it follows that such aptitude also does not grant one any special ability with computers, except perhaps in the case of programming, and even there, it is more logic skills that are required than anything else. While it's true that both math and programming foster logical thinking, but I've heard (and seen for myself) of many a programmer who was an absolute idiot with his computer (aside from coding, that is). I've also heard (and am one) of programmers who have fairly poor math skills. It boggled my high school computer science teacher's mind how I could fail Algebra II and pass her class so easily.

So, in sum: they are tangentially related, but there is definitely not a strong correlation.

The little I know of scripting l have learnt never seemed logical to me but I also suck at maths. When I was writing my MA thesis I had to use a scripting language called LateX. I eventually got 'the hang of it' but even then it was just blunt repetition and no true understanding of some logical pattern. I would have to disagree in that I believe there is a strong correlation/

No, they are not related. I am living proof of that. I'm a concept oriented person as opposed to a detail oriented person, and therefore most maths are just not something I have any aptitude at. Sure, I can understand why a formula is the way it is, and its basic functions, but when it comes to recalling those formulas or knowing how exactly to use them, I'm often found wanting.

No, they are not related. I am living proof of that. I'm a concept oriented person as opposed to a detail oriented person, and therefore most maths are just not something I have any aptitude at. Sure, I can understand why a formula is the way it is, and its basic functions, but when it comes to recalling those formulas or knowing how exactly to use them, I'm often found wanting.

I will assume, as a counter point that you are an excellent modder/scripter? yes?

The little I know of scripting l have learnt never seemed logical to me but I also suck at maths. When I was writing my MA thesis I had to use a scripting language called LateX. I eventually got 'the hang of it' but even then it was just blunt repetition and no true understanding of some logical pattern. I would have to disagree in that I believe there is a strong correlation/

And that has little to do with your lack of ability with math. As well, LaTeX from what I've seen of it also isn't so much a scripting language (a la javascript) as a markup language (a la HTML). In fact, the documentation seems to agree. And being a markup language, there really isn't that much logic involved aside from "oh yeah, \title makes a title."

With a markup language, you either know a command to do something, or you don't. Programming's a bit different. To write an algorithm that takes a set of letters (or any data type) and reverses their order, all you need to know are how to make loops and decisions. Without a bit of logic (or, creativity) you won't come up with how to use those loops and decisions to accomplish that task. By the same token it's easily conceivable one could ace a math course but fail to come up with that bit of programming logic simply because their math course hasn't prepared them for the concepts involved.

Getting away from programming, knowing how to solve integrals has absolutely no benefit to a person trying to troubleshoot a network connectivity problem. There is still logic to follow, but in networking we have a fairly simple model to follow that doesn't require complex math.

I will assume, as a counter point that you are an excellent modder/scripter? yes?

that's a pretty fair assumption, although in fairness I'm not scripting quite up to the level of some others... but that is more due to the lack of a need for those particular things in my game than anything related to understating the concepts involved.

And that has little to do with your lack of ability with math. As well, LaTeX from what I've seen of it also isn't so much a scripting language (a la javascript) as a markup language (a la HTML). In fact, the documentation seems to agree. And being a markup language, there really isn't that much logic involved aside from "oh yeah, \title makes a title."

With a markup language, you either know a command to do something, or you don't. Programming's a bit different. To write an algorithm that takes a set of letters (or any data type) and reverses their order, all you need to know are how to make loops and decisions. Without a bit of logic (or, creativity) you won't come up with how to use those loops and decisions to accomplish that task. By the same token it's easily conceivable one could ace a math course but fail to come up with that bit of programming logic simply because their math course hasn't prepared them for the concepts involved.

Getting away from programming, knowing how to solve integrals has absolutely no benefit to a person trying to troubleshoot a network connectivity problem. There is still logic to follow, but in networking we have a fairly simple model to follow that doesn't require complex math.

You see, I didn't even know the difference. I am an idiot in this respect.

The absolute best programmer I have ever worked with has a masters in math. He can make a program do things you would not believe - I wish I could get him interested in Oblivion. While advanced math skills are not absolutely required they do help quite a bit - and it varies quite a bit how much they help based on what kind of programming you do. When I was programming for a living I wrote progs for computerized measuring machines, it required an understanding of trig, geometry, spacial analysis and the ability to visualize an object in three dimensions. - Example, how do you tell a machine how to measure a hole in an object? First, you have to tell the machine how to find the object, then how to locate the hole on the object, then be sure it's the right hole, then you get to figure out how to measure it (mostly geometry and trig). You can get into parameters such as location, diameter, center, roundness, depth, taper, tolerance and others. My friend wrote the operating systems for the machines. His programs looked like Gibberish to me, while he was always showing me easier ways to calculate something in mine.

The absolute best programmer I have ever worked with has a masters in math. He can make a program do things you would not believe - I wish I could get him interested in Oblivion. While advanced math skills are not absolutely required they do help quite a bit - and it varies quite a bit how much they help based on what kind of programming you do. When I was programming for a living I wrote progs for computerized measuring machines, it required an understanding of trig, geometry, spacial analysis and the ability to visualize an object in three dimensions. - Example, how do you tell a machine how to measure a hole in an object? First, you have to tell the machine how to find the object, then how to locate the hole on the object, then be sure it's the right hole, then you get to figure out how to measure it (mostly geometry and trig). You can get into parameters such as location, diameter, center, roundness, depth, taper, tolerance and others. My friend wrote the operating systems for the machines. His programs looked like Gibberish to me, while he was always showing me easier ways to calculate something in mine.

You are like a different race of men compared to me. I cannot even get a bloody custom weapon to work for DA. I suppose we must all resign ourselves to our fates. I always knew I would have no ability as a modder but I did not think I could not even get a mod to work...thankfully I am not completely talentless though having talent with computers seems to be more useful than the ones I have... :confused:

Anyway, glad you agree. There definitely is a correspondence.