Exception Code 0xc0000005

flerbergerber

So I recently started playing Oblivion again, and of course, like any elder scrolls game I play, I gotta mod the elder scrolls out of it and make it more interesting and realistic. I went mod crazy, and installed about 50 mods when I first started. I also have every(?) official DLC. Surprisingly, I had no conflicts and was able to play with minimal crashes. However, as time went one, I added more and more mods. A few days ago, I went crazy and added about 10 more mods, increasing my total to almost 100. Upon crashing on startup, I searched the logs, removed conflicts, and retried. Now with almost 15 less mods, I ran the game again, and decided to start a new character (The game started correctly this time.) I made a character fine, went slightly through the main quest, and decided to do the Siege of Kvatch quest. I got to the point where you open the gate for the other imperials and fight tons of scamps (By the way, the game spawned a freakin' Flame Atronach here. At level 2. Rude.) All was well until I killed a scamp. I crashed the second he died. I reloaded the game. Crashed again, this time I crashed immediately when I loaded the save file. Removed tons of mods, was able to get back to the save file, and started playing again. Killed a scamp, and crashed. Reduced tons of mods, still crash. I see no major conflicts, and OBMM doesn't detect any mod conflicts, so I see no problem. Event Viewer gives the following log:

Faulting application name: Oblivion.exe, version: 1.2.0.416, time stamp: 0x462392c7

Faulting module name: Oblivion.exe, version: 1.2.0.416, time stamp: 0x462392c7

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x002a03c1

Faulting process id: 0xa88

Faulting application start time: 0x01cfd0467765b4e0

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Oblivion\The Elder Scrolls IV OBLIVION\Oblivion.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Oblivion\The Elder Scrolls IV OBLIVION\Oblivion.exe

Report Id: e64ba0e0-3c39-11e4-ad4f-0040ca9df32e

Googled the exception code and heard that it was an out of memory error. Got no way to find out if that's true since Oblivion hates alt-tab, but I'd imagine Oblivion doesn't use up much RAM at all.

As of now, my mod load order is as follows:

Oblivion.esm

CM Partners.esm

Better Cities Resources.esm

DLCHorseArmor.esp

DLCOrrery.esp

DLCFrostcrag.esp

DLCThievesDen.esp

DLCVileLair.esp

DLCMehrunesRazor.esp

DLCSpellTomes.esp

Knights.esp

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp

USIPS Additional Changes.esp

Unofficial Oblivion Path.esp

UOPS Additional Changes.esp

Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp

CM Partners.esp

CM Partners More NPCs.esp

Streamline 2.1.esp

Quest Award Leveller.esp

Quest Award Leveller - Vile Lair.esp

Quest Award Leveller - Mehrunes Razor.esp

Quest Award Leveller - Knights of the Nine.esp

DLCBattlehornCastle.esp

Better Imperial City FPS Patch.esp

Better Cities Full.esp

Better Cities - Open Better Cities.esp

Alternative Start by Robert Evrae.esp

Ancient Towers.esp

MidasSpells.esp

Immersive Weapons.esp

Spell Delete and Item remove.esp

Better Cities - Knights of the Nine.esp

Better Cities - No LEYAWIIN Flooding.esp

Better Cities.esp

Better Imperial City.esp

Better Imperial City.esp

Creature Diversity.esp

Better Cities - VWD of the IC.esp

Better Cities - IC Imperial Isle.esp

xulAncientRedwoods.esp

xulAncientYews.esp

xulArriusCreek.esp

xulAspentWood.esp

xulBlackwoodForest.esp

xulBravilBarrowfields.esp

xulBrenaRiverRavine.esp

xulCheydinhalFalls.esp

xulChorrolHinterland.esp

xulClouttopMountains.esp

xulColovianHighlands_EV.esp

xuldarkforest.esp

XulEntiusGorge.esp

xulFallenLeageEverglage.esp

xulImperialIsle.esp

xulBeachesofCyrodiilLostCoast.esp

xulLushWoodlands.esp

xulPantherRiver.esp

xulRiverEthe.esp

xulSkingradOutskirts.esp

xulSnowdale.esp

xulStendarrValley.esp

xulTheHeath.esp

xulCliffsOfAnvil.esp

xulSilverfishRiverValley.esp

xulJerallGlacier.esp

xulTheEasternpeaks.esp

xulRollingHills_EV_WithoutWheat.esp

xulPath_AY_AC.esp

Is there any way to remove these crashes while removing a minimal amount of mods?

Edited by flerbergerber

• 2 months later...

I am getting the same issue. My circumstances are slightly different though.

1. I had several mods loaded and was able to get to the goblin door during Tiger Septum's escape.

2. I saved the game and quit so I could load some more mods.

3. I am unable to restart the game now. No matter which avenue I try the game crashes with the error: Oblivion has stopped working.

4. System log shows the following:

Faulting application name: oblivion.exe, version: 1.2.0.416, time stamp: 0x462392c7
Faulting module name: oblivion.exe, version: 1.2.0.416, time stamp: 0x462392c7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000548e
Faulting process id: 0x1550
Faulting application start time: 0x01d00d1cbc525ea5
Faulting application path: F:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\oblivion.exe
Faulting module path: F:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\oblivion.exe
Report Id: fb4b0182-790f-11e4-87f7-5c260a337ff4

5. I cannot past the initial black screen before I get the error message.

6. I have disabled ALL mods and set all EXEs to open as admin.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions?

I'm also having the same issues but on the quest to help the invisible people. Left the town and as I headed down to the castle the game crashed.

It's not my computer as it is a Intel Quad Core i7-875 4GHZ with 16GB memory on the motherboard, Galaxy GeForce GTX 660 4GHZ Video Card with 3GB memory, and a 2TB hard drive. So plenty of speed, memory, and storage.

I have 140 mods installed and checked via Wrye Bash and BOSS which all check out OK before I started playing. Made no changes and added no additional mods since starting the game. I have played 34 hours and made 26 successful saves. Since the last install of any mods or changes to the game.

Now I can't even get back into the game. Every time I tried to load a save game it crashes. I even tried to load a very early game and still it crashes during the load. Tried to load all of my save all the way back to the first save with the same results.

Everything still checks out ok with Wrye Bash and BOSS, nether show any problems or conflicts.

I've downloaded all my Elder Scrolls games through Steam. And all my mods through Nexus. Skyrim is still OK, I have over 1700 hours on it. However I'm wondering if something Steam did messed my game up.

Sure hope someone figures this out as for now I'm very frustrated and exhibiting withdraw symptom. Help!

Harby46

This is a Windows access violation error code.

http://compfreakstars.blogspot.com/2011/11/0xc0000005-error-every-day-many.html

The first recommendation on that site is to fix the registry - but they don't tell you how. I use the FREE ccleaner slim http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ccleaner_slim.html

first, reboot your computer before running any registry cleaner

Using ccleaner - ONLY use the registry cleaner part

Reboot again when it is finished.

Be careful not to allow ccleaner to clean cookies unless you know what you are doing ( passwords are often saved as cookies)

Thank you for the quick come back on the register cleaner. Tired that and it didn't solve the problem.

Can you tell me how to get to the event log so I can see just what is going on?

This I did do and it seemed to work however I loose everything and 36 hours of saves, plays, and achievements. I moved the save folder to a safe location and created a new empty save folder. I then started a new game. Everything is working fine, did several saves and end games then continued where I left off at. Am now out of the sewers and have my dog companion and on my way looking for Vilja, then pick up my free horse.

One glitch which I had before and still do is when I quit the game after a save it crashes in that it become non responsive after the quit. I need to use the Task Manage to shut it down. But I always had that from the beginning and still do.

I have Skyrim with 121 mods and have logged 1718 hours and everything works as it should with no problems. I have Morrowind with 117 mods and have logged 2 hours on it (just started). So far everything with Morrowind is just as it should be with no problems.

I haven't altered nor deleted any of the 140 mods for Oblivion. Everything is just as it was before when it crashed at the 34 hour mark. I have Red Rose Manor, Vilja, and the dog in tow with two horses. I just left Roxey Inn after buying livestock for Red Rose Manor when I came upon the village of Aleswell where the people were invisible and left there to confront the wizard. I was half the way to the wizard at Fort Caractocus but not there yet when the game crashed the first time corrupting all of the original saved game.

Though I've started a new game after removing the save folder and creating a new one and all is OK so far, I noticed the references to the old original save were still there and if I tried to continue on any of the old save of the original save the game would crash upon the loading the old saves. The crash was in the form of the game becoming non responsive and freezing up.

I don't know if any of this will help but hope it dose. Hate to loose 34 hours of progress.

Harby46

Edited by harby46