What are people's opinions here on Mass Effect 2?

SpellAndShield

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is more streamlined than the first, or so I was told. I don't know for sure I'm trying to claw my hands on it (waiting for the cheapest price).

You're all probably going to try and beat my head in with a club made of solidified fanrage for saying this, but not everyone here loves mass effect.

Mass effect's troubles started with its press releases and advertising/reviews, bioware generated vast hype around this game, making out that it was an opus of game design, a whole galaxy to explose, vast moral choice, and endless customisation. It wasnt, the reality, while not a bad game, felt very very average after the raving reviews and arrogant press releases from bioware. "I go through the office each morning and after working on the ME character creation tool, I find myself imagining how I could make each person's face in the game" well alas his version was only for retail in Shangri La, because in my version you had about 5 sliders with about 3 setting on each, and however you positioned them, you got a short haired part anglo guy with an unatural bone structure. The combat wasnt bad once you were in the meat of the game, but Im prejudiced because I chose the soldier role hoping for a tanker archetype, and had very very little fun fighting, as I seemed to be the only one with absolutely no special abilities worth having aswell as feeling like the tacked on extra on the team that nobody really needed in the first place. ME2 improved a lot of things, but it just wasnt enough, like the first one I took it back to the store after finishing it feeling disapointed. The key point is, this is NOT a bad game, not even close. but theu hyped it so much, that I was expecting a marvelous game, and after that, a very good game felt like tripe.

In that case, shame on you! You should know better than to fall for the hype machine by now! :p

Maybe part of why I loved it so much was because I was expecting it to be more or less Mass Effect 1 with a new story, so I didn't really follow its pre-release hype or reviews, as I wasn't planning on getting it. Then I went to our local games shop one Friday, looking for something fun as I was bored with everything I had. The only halfway interesting title I saw was ME2, and despite not wanting to, I decided to take it. It totally blew me away.

As I've said before, not the best game ever made, but definitely the best I've ever played.

Mass Effect 1 and 2 are both amazing games, that have a very cinematic feel. I personally liked the first one a little better because I liked the story a little more. The first time i played through the scene where you talk to Sovereign, I actually had goose bumps.

It's unlike any game I've ever played, except for AC, that blew my mind. Anyway, ME2 was a marvel of the genre it stood for, it made it proud. Truthfully, it felt like a movie, especially when you go through the Omega 4 relay, god that was amazing! But it wasn't just that, it was the graphics, the choices, the places, and most of all the character aminations, I mean do you see many games where people cry, I don't. Personally I must disagree with the company for stopping at the upcoming Mass effect 3, I don't believe it should be a trilogy, it needs to continue and prosper as a game series. I mean why does it have to stop with the Reapers return for Galactic dominace, why can't they make another secret return or the introduction of an even higher danger that can continue past the second sequel?

If it continues Keanu the game would lose significance and then the series would end up like EA's sports games. It would leave a bad taste in people's mouths but if they made a spin off then that's ok, there is nothing wrong with that.