What are people's opinions here on Mass Effect 2?

SpellAndShield

I finally got it yesterday after hearing about it so much. It seems OK. I find the controls much less intuitive than Dragon Age. I think it has a rather steep learning curve for combat. I started with an Adept because that class seemed cool but now I am wondering if that was a smart choice...oh well. It seems pretty decent...so far I don't see any competition for me between it and DA; DA wins. :thumbsup:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The second game is good, but it can't hold a candle to the first game in my opinion. The party characters are cool(just like in the first game), the Environments are cool(just like the first game), but that's about all that the second game can equal the first on. The antagonists in the first game were WAY better and the story in general I found to be more interesting. The skill system in ME2 got REALLY streamlined(Frustratingly so). Also, (as previously mentioned) the planet-scanning for resources mini-game was as fun as a gunshot wound. The one and ONLY thing that I thought ME2 did better than its predecessor, is that 85% of the game play wasn't in that Mako thing.

I actually found the entirety, except those scanning mini games to be better.

I liked the approach to combat this time around. Combat didn't feel as if it was tacked on as an afterthought, and the way skills were handled was just pretty damn awesome. In the first game I barely used skills, because, well, it felt tedious. I'm not entirely sure what makes ME2's skills feel less tedious, but it just is easier to use.

I LOVE the ammo thing, I much prefer reloading than having to take breaks in between shooting, or waiting for an overheated gun to cool off.

The characters weren't as varied or fun as ME1, though the ones that carried over from ME1 made a nice comeback. I didn't like Miranda at all. Not one bit. And I was a bit dissapointed with not having Wrex by my side again.

But, on the whole, I found ME2 to be a much more satisfying experience than ME1, and for once I didn't get mad that a game ended on such a cliffhanger note. The game wasn't overly long, but it hit the perfect balance in such a way that I didn't long for some more game time, but actually longed for the next installment.

Also, the plot twist with the Protheans made me kinda sad.

How did Wrex die? Because when you go to the Krogan homeworld, the chief leader at that one clan who was his brother said he died. Or was that Shepard who told him that?

I liked the Prothean twist because to me it felt like they actually didn't go extinct, like some part of them was still living on you know?

I finally got it yesterday after hearing about it so much. It seems OK. I find the controls much less intuitive than Dragon Age. I think it has a rather steep learning curve for combat. I started with an Adept because that class seemed cool but now I am wondering if that was a smart choice...oh well. It seems pretty decent...so far I don't see any competition for me between it and DA; DA wins. :thumbsup:

Its an epic game, and it feels like a movie if you play it enough. You'll love the ending, but if you want the fullest ending then I strongly advise you upgrade your ship, and build your team and make them loyal. They'll also give you times during the final mission where you have to send some of your team out to do things, but you have to choose the best person for the task if you don't want that person to die. But the choice is up to you, its your game afterall.

How did Wrex die? Because when you go to the Krogan homeworld, the chief leader at that one clan who was his brother said he died. Or was that Shepard who told him that?

I liked the Prothean twist because to me it felt like they actually didn't go extinct, like some part of them was still living on you know?

It depends on how you played the first game. If you couldn't talk wrex down on Virmire in the first game, there were a few different ways wrex could die, but there wasn't much of any appreciable distinction between them, and any one of them ended up with him getting an air-conditioned skull.

But if you could convince him that sarens use of

the genophage cure was being perverted into a weapon, and as such, needed to be destroyed,

then Wrex continues on with the party and appears again in ME2.

Its an epic game, and it feels like a movie if you play it enough. You'll love the ending, but if you want the fullest ending then I strongly advise you upgrade your ship, and build your team and make them loyal. They'll also give you times during the final mission where you have to send some of your team out to do things, but you have to choose the best person for the task if you don't want that person to die. But the choice is up to you, its your game afterall.

Definitely getting into it...as in played 15 hours straight today...haha.

Definitely getting into it...as in played 15 hours straight today...haha.

I don't blame you, it can get real addicting real fast. I think what really brought me to love this game was its action, sense of exploration, and music. I absoultly love the music in ME2, especially the song it plays when the Collectors appear.

I absolutely hated ME1, it felt like a letdown, but I trust the opinions of (most) of the enxus, so would you say that its worth putting aside my hatred and trialing it?

But Im open minded, and if its good I'll try it out and set aside my past prejudices. particularly if it can resolve the specific things I disliked, which were: the non quest planets felt a bit barren, the cooldown based combat was aweful, I didnt like having to fight against humanity for the benefit of some tentacled freaks, I didnt like the outfits at all, seeing my character mincing around in a profanely horrible leotard was a problem, and lastly I'd like more gun selection and better melee, in particular via a better non engineer/psychic fighter role, because being a Soldier in ME1 meant I missed out on almost everything everyone else said was good about it. Since I was programmed as being so stupid I couldnt even open a locked crate.

Everyone has it's uses, even soldiers. That's why I chose Infiltrator rather than Soldier as it is all about balance plus you can become invisible in ME2 (and they can use subs as well). I admit things have improved a lot in ME2 but also some of the other aspects of ME are lost (like the Mako and elevators) which lower the games experience a bit but still BW has a lot tricks up their sleeve so I would assume that ME3 would be "mind blowing" than ME2 (it has to be in order to build up it's success).

Yeah...

I think my class and the aesthetic were my two biggest complaints. It had the groundwork to be a great game. But I felt like they had tacked this class on to apease fanboys rather than as a serious class. I was soon completely unable to open even the most basic locked objects, and had to forgo a lot of sidequests because I couldnt unlock a certain door and I wasnt able to get my companions to do it for me.

I was just disapointed that what is an important role was reduced to being the role of firing a gun. I felt offended that my only useful skills made me fire a gun more rapidly, its just bad design that a class would be added with no worthwhile or fun abilities and the inability to progress due to locked doors.

Secondly I really really disliked some of the aesthetic work. A good number of the weapons and creatures looked good and alien, but damn, those outfits were aweful. the human armour looked like some kind of freakshow bondage gear with shoulder pads. It just left waaaay too little to the imagination on both gender's armour for me to be comfortable in game. Tights can work on some female characters-tights on all female characters very much do not, dressing a character without a sensual bone in her body like a dominatrix just looks ridiculous. And the male version was even worse, having a male character, I was horrified by what counted as armour, a wetsuit is acceptabe if you are a military diver, but for a space marine, you look homosexual to say the least, and that made me less than comfortable.

Bring Tali or Garrus with you (the only ones that can decrypt objects) in ME (besides you of course). I hate the light armor too but if you obtain medium or heavy it is a much better look than the light. IDK what happen to fashion in nearly 200 years of pretend land but I don't think that in reality we would end up like that. Besides this was a RPG/FPS hybrid and it worked really well (in my opinion). BW should be congratulate for their effort in making amusing game.