What would you do in this situation?

rtol321

Ok, so I am creating a Total Conversion, and part of it is going to house San Fransisco, the only problem is, how will isolate it without ruining immersion? What I mean by this is, how do I block it off from the rest of the world so I can create the city in a new world space. Originaly I was thinking of doing what Bethesda did with Megaton, creating huge walls around the city, but after a little thinking, I realized, that having huge walls surounding such a large piece of land was just unrealistic.

Any ideas?

Just an idea, but with San Fran having the golden gate bridge. Maybe you could have a bridge running out over the water. Once you reach a certain part you get a pop up asking if you would like the trolley (which is another thing San Fran is known for) into the city and have it port you there. Make it so you cannot pass that point unless you agree to trolley in, this way you don't have to create the entire thing. Like I said just an idea, but it sounded cool :)

It is a 24 quad world space, and San Fransisco only takes up about a quarter of a quad, but I would like to keep it in it's own world space to help with performance. So what I need, is a way to make it look from the outside like there is a city, and have the player open a door or something to access the new world.

Good Idea though! :)

Thats a good question, Initially I would say set the bridge somewhere up against the border of oblivion. Then create some kind of landscape in the area outside the border, this way you see the city but you cannot get there walking, swimming etc... But with borders off this might create some "unrealism" to it. Because people could get there by their own means And when they get their I would just be a "mock up".

If you want to show a brief view of your new city as seen from a distance by a new arrival then, you might be able to create a bink movie of the scene that is triggered by script.

Another possiblity is to use scene transitions for the player similiar to the vanilla transition to Raven Rock. Player controls are removed, companions dismissed, and a combination of FX, dialogue and moveto commands causes the player to appear to be kidnapped and imprisoned. If you could create a viewpoint in your cell that shows your city as an LOD view, then you could make the player see your city from there in a similar fashion.