Unofficial Oblivion Patch Conflicts With Knights of the Nine Plug-in

gforum

When I used the Oblivion Mod Manager to detect conflicts, it says that the Unofficial Oblivion Patch conflicts with the Knights of the Nine plug-in and this is proved by the frequent game crashes I have been experiencing. So do I just stop using the unofficial patch or is there anything I can do? Since I want to use the official plug-in, I mean I did buy it :/

I did and ironically the fix for the Knights plug-in conflicts with the plug-in itself.

now sit down and drink a tall cold ice tea

while you contemplate this

"Any patch will by definition have conflicts with the esp it is patching."

"Otherwise it would be patching nothing"

ok then contemplate this, when I installed the official mods patch, the game was still crashing like before, no difference whatsoever. Additionally, if the patch will conflict with the esp it is patching, why isn't the Shivering Isles patch conflicting with the DLCShiveringIsles.esp? Does this mean the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch do nothing for the original?

Additionally, if the patch will conflict with the esp it is patching, why isn't the Shivering Isles patch conflicting with the DLCShiveringIsles.esp? Does this mean the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch do nothing for the original?

look at the size of the Shivering Isles esp/esm

then order another Ice Tea

When I used the Oblivion Mod Manager to detect conflicts, it says that the Unofficial Oblivion Patch conflicts with the Knights of the Nine plug-in and this is proved by the frequent game crashes I have been experiencing. So do I just stop using the unofficial patch or is there anything I can do? Since I want to use the official plug-in, I mean I did buy it :/

Can you be sure that the Unofficial Oblivion Patch is actually causing your crashing problem? If you run the game without the UOP does it no longer crash?

Fonger is right in pointing out that "conflict" merely mean that one mod changes something in another mod. Sometimes these changes are intentional because (as in the case of UOP) it is patching errors in another mod, or modifications to allow two mods to play well together (like Unique Landscapes and, well, almost everything:teehee:). Other changes/conflicts are bad because each mod relies on its own version of the item/script/whatever in order to work properly and only one of the versions will be loaded - so the other mod will be broken because it did not "win" the conflict. And other changes/conflicts are less important and can be ignored. This is the reason why "load order" becomes very important in a complex game setup (and complex here means vanilla oblivion, possibly plus the official mods, plus more than one other mod).

Do you have OBSE? Any additional OBSE plugins? What other mods do you have and are they loaded in a recommended order?

Yes I am sure it is the UOP because once I removed it, the game no longer crashes. I do have OBSE but I currently do not have any plugins for it. Here's the load order that always crashes my game:

Oblivion.esm

Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp

UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp

Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp

Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp

No psychic guards v1.2.esp

No psychic guards harder v1.2.esp

gardening.esp

HouseMapMarkersOnlyBought.esp

HouseMapMarkers.esp

ArmoryLab.esp

Travelers Inns.esp

Knights.esp

Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

300_Combat Sounds.esp

Natural_Habitat_by_Max_Tael.esp

Natural_Vegetation_by_Max_Tael.esp

Natural_Water_by_Max_Tael.esp

Natural_Weather_by_Max_Tael.esp

P1DkeyChain.esp

And the one that doesn't crash my game:

Oblivion.esm

gardening.esp

HouseMapMarkers.esp

ArmoryLab.esp

Travelers Inns.esp

Knights.esp

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

300_Combat Sounds.esp

P1DkeyChain.esp

Yes I am sure it is the UOP because once I removed it, the game no longer crashes. I do have OBSE but I currently do not have any plugins for it. Here's the load order that always crashes my game:

Oblivion.esm

Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp

gardening.esp

HouseMapMarkers.esp

ArmoryLab.esp

Travelers Inns.esp

Knights.esp

Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

300_Combat Sounds.esp

P1DkeyChain.esp

And the one that doesn't crash my game:

Oblivion.esm

gardening.esp

HouseMapMarkers.esp

ArmoryLab.esp

Travelers Inns.esp

Knights.esp

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

300_Combat Sounds.esp

P1DkeyChain.esp

If I were you I might try two other things before giving up on using the UOP patch, but if you do decide to not use it, it won't hurt all that much - my first character did not play with the UOP patch and aside from the annoying lack of a fire in the Bruma house and Glathir's body laying around forever - it didn't bother me that much.

Any way, I would try your load order with UOP in it and removing P1DKeyChain and possibly Natural_Weather_by_Max_Tael - just as a test. Both are known to be buggy and KeyChain has been involved in game crashing. There is an alternate for Natural_Weather that was redone to fix the bugs and inefficiencies - Natural_Weather_Unofficial_Patch. As for the KeyChain, you might consider replacing it with something like Automagic Bags. It's not quite the same, but it also hasn't crashed my game lately. :teehee:

I notice that you also removed the Kinghts Unoffical Patch from the "working" load order, but not the Shivering Isles one. Why was that? Just FYI, but I have been told that Shivering Isles actually breaks the KotN (Knights) quest. It may be that the Knights UOP repairs that problem - you'd have to check the patch readme to be sure - but you might want to reintroduce that particular patch.