Stuck on Kvatch Rebuilt: From the Shadows

SunderedChaos

ya uh... I don't know what the f*ck to do. Kolvirian won't stop whining "leave me alone!" every time I talk to him, and the quest log says that I have to find some way to convince him that he is the heir to county Kvatch. How do I convince him of that? It just kind of leaves it open, with not even a clue of what to do. In fact, no quest marker even appears on where you might have to go to convince him. It just stays on him.

So ya... great mod... up until now. No mod should ever leave you this clueless and think you'll find some way to figure it out. I do not even have the slightest idea, and quite honestly, it's starting to piss me off.

In his cabin you will find (1) his journal (2) his signet ring-the ring is on the floor by his bed and can be hard to see. You can (A) sick the Dark Brotherhood on him or (B) find the coffin of his wolf and remove the necklace. If you decide on the nice method let him rest for 24 hours and talk to him with the ring and amulet in your inventory. He will admit to having dreams and go back to Kvatch. You will need to save your game before you talk to him the second time if you do want to become the ruler of Kvatch, how well you convince him to return is what decides who will be the next Count or Countess.EDIT the coffin is behind cloud ruler temple on the left slope, there is a path to reach it on foot.

• 1 year later...

I have a question about the sidequest "Kvatch Rebuilt: From the Shadows - A Knife in the Dark" ---

basically, I thought this sidequest was there, so that if you at first get the heir to be count, you can still have him killed later on and become count/ess yourself if you wish.

now it seems like, if im understanding it correctly, that this sidequest is simply meant to be an alternative extra-long, extra-quest to kill the guy and thus become count yourself from the offset.

is that correct?

it seems a bit silly to have an entire sidequest devoted to killing the guy, thats optional to begin with, when really if you want a guy dead, who is living alone out in the woods, in a small shack, and nobody knows about him - and oh ya, you can chose to rescue him (or not) from the gang that went to kill him before you got there to begin with - this all seems a bit silly to have such a longwinded extra (optional) quest just to rid the guy that would probably be the easiest target in the world to just whack on the head and be done with it.

thus my reason for believing that this sidequest was always intended as a method to become count in the future, should you give him the role of count by convincing him initially.

it would make a lot more sense that way, quite honestly.

however, now, he is count in my current game...ive played a good 20+ hours since making him count, finished the arena quest and everything else except the underground questline - and now i wanted to go ahead and use the brotherhood sidequest to off the count so that i could become countess - but looking in my logbook i can no longer find the sidequest, and clicking on the ribcage/heart/skull of aria doesnt do anything like it says in the walkthrough (.pdf).

so i guess my game is stuck and i will never become countess???

that, and the huge amount of bugginess make this mod quite an anti climax when all is said and done.

its got a lot of great concepts and having kvatch rebuilt is wonderful, but so many bugs and loose ends in the quests that honestly cant be done without a walkthrough/spoiler (and whats the point of doing quests that you just have to read how they are done in order to do them...quite boring) - all of that sortof makes this mod not all that great.

besides that there are a few other mods that rebuild kvatch into a much more beautiful and complete city than this one does, so end result isnt either very interesting compared with the alternatives.

this is the 2nd time ive played a game with KR...last time was a few years ago. really had hoped things would have ironed out and been completed to a quality polished final release by now (the previous version was not a final release that i played, in like 2009 or so).

oh well...

anyone want to confirm for me anyway if this sidequest is still doable, or if what i wrote above - about it being simply an extra way to kill the heir before he becomes count - is correct.

and if thats correct, is it possible for me to add this sidequest into the console perhaps? to force it so i can do the sidequest and still become count?

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I found the coffin for anyone still looking.

There's a stairway, two lit pillars, and a chest to the Northwest of Cloud Ruler Temple.

Directly below that chest is a small dropoff. At the bottom of that short dropoff is a frozen coffin. The pieces are inside that coffin.

In terms of where it is on the greater map, it's ever between the J and E in Jerall, just a bit south.

Hopefully that helps anyone still looking!

Edited by pyrobubble

• 5 months later...

Ok, so I tried to complete this quest in both the normal route and the DB route, and I wasn't able to get the dialogue option for him or me to become count at any point. I got every other one mentioned, but never what would actually complete the quest. I got all the items for each route, and still nothing. I checked various pages regarding this problem, no luck. Eventually I had to use the console to make Kolvirian non-essential and just kill him, which I initially didn't want to do, but seemed the only way possible to resolve it at this point. I love the concept of this mod, but it still seems to be quite buggy, and doesn't look like its getting anymore work done.