Borderlands

eLucifer

Oh and Ferryt, the Anarchy is actualy a sniper's best friend. No sniper I've ever met would be arrogant enough to think they could nail everyone before they got up close and had to put their longarms away. I too favour long range combat, but I always carry an Anarchy and a Reaper for when the enemy inevitably gets hand to hand-trust me, a good short range gun will save your life.

It is good for long range too (for an obvious, ridiculous reason,) but it is an ammo hog. Would only do it for the lulz.

V, you seem to like combat rifles. Personally I don't find them very useful...they don't have the damage of snipers, the fire rate of SMGs or the range of snipers. (And accuracy...snipers become ridiculously accurate later in the game when fired from the hip.) They are kind of this in-between gun that seems to have this very specific niche that only seems to succeed in the hands of a soldier, who gets extra bonuses. But I like to have one anyway when ammo gets scarce. If you got bullets, you can kill stuff. :) They are excellent for medium - long range fights when there are tons of enemies (sniper = too slow fire and SMG = begging to be shot up,) but a good fire weapon, corrosive weapon or the DA can get rid of them fast. When enemies are plentiful they are usually pretty weak...sometimes even a rocket can destroy everyone. And rocket launchers are terrible in this game.

And Blasthammers? I actually have plenty of these and sold them...but it is just like how I stumbled across an Orion only after hundreds of hours of play. I like the hammer spread.

By the way. Havocs are basically the best assault rifle.

Man, I need to reinstall this game so I can play through the new DLC. I'm too lazy to play through the main quest a 4th time, though. Would anyone mind say, uploading a save file of theirs? Rolands, preferably, though I wouldn't mind playing a new class.

HE, he, I just found a SMG with 720 damage with scope. Can't think of the name of it, but its EPIC :thumbsup:

Found it in general Knoxx round 1 play through 2

Vindekarr

• Sorry, but I didn't mean to sound insulting. I've simply never heard the term "pranked" before and I've never seen an Anarchy that could be mistaken for Bone Shredder. I just call it like I see it. On the other hand, the game doesn't usually be nice to me with respect to dropping really nice weapons. My current Siren character is my fourth attempt to play a Siren, since my previous three just weren't making the grade. In fact, my third one got stuck going for Sledge because she ran out of ammo half-way through the gauntlet -- and I mean totally out of ammo. All ammo. The reason was that she didn't have anything that could quickly kill the bandits on the way to meet Sledge. It was the third area before going up the elevator, so my only recourse was to cheat by exiting and restarting the game -- or try to get back out and run through all the backspawning enemies with no way to fight back. That's when I abandoned that character. Maybe you've just been luckier than I have.

I never implied that the Anarchy wasn't a good weapon. Like you, I keep a variety of weapons on-hand for special situations, and a good shotgun with around a 30% accuracy and a good Anarchy with about the same accuracy are my backups for when get involved in close-range combat, regardless of what sort of character I'm playing. My must-have list is very similar to yours, in fact, although I'll go out of my way to acquire specialized gear before taking on certain missions. Before going into Old Haven, for instance, I'll wait until I have a decent corrosive sniper, shotgun and/or SMG, and a good healing shield because I know the Lance are going to shred through my shield and that they're especially susceptible to corrosive damage. I'll put off going for Sledge for a long time until I find a "Sledgehammer" -- any weapon that I think might be effective against that brute, as well as not even attempting that mission until I have a good shock-based weapon to take out his shield. I actually took him out once with just a DA, although I died once trying that.

While my build goals vary with each character I always try to have decent weapons for each element, although I'll admit that, until my latest Hunter, I've never especially been fond of explosive-based weapons. He found this 4x Maliwan shot gun {SPR10C Detonating Death) with a really nice scope and about 75% accuracy that is almost a sniping weapon. At level 34 in "Zombie Island of Dr. Ned" (who is totally Dr. Zed in disguise, in spite of the propaganda to the contrary), this was taking out the were-skags in the lumber yard in one shot -- two at max. That completely surprised me. I'm used to them putting up a pretty serious fight and had loaded up with fire-based weapons and Bloodwing on fire damage to go up against them, but tried one shot from the SG and fell in love with it. Yes, I had been using it against zombies up to that point, but, still, I expect almost any good shotgun with a low spread to be effective against them.

While I was playing through Zombie Island with my Hunter I started honing my commando skills. This is the first time I've played that DLC without dying at least once, and I even went back into Dead Haven just to collect brains for T.K. -- Dead Haven always gives me fits. If anything, its more of a challenge than Old Haven and the Crimson Lance. Did I mention I really hate suicide zombies?

AliasTheory

• My comment regarding levels was based upon the fact that a lot of players don't seem to realize that even a single level of difference can be the edge you need to defeat an otherwise undefeatable enemy. Keep in mind that with my luck in this game I'm usually under-equipped for nearly every task, which is one reason that I started buying even very expensive gear, rather than hoarding money like a lot of people do. In the current game I'm playing with my latest Hunter I was getting my butt kicked by NPCs two levels over mine. After backing out of that mission and leveling up once I went back in and dealt with them handily, using virtually the same gear.

"Borderlands players - Role-call" does not have the "sound" of a general discussion topic, which is probably why other people have started other Borderlands topics, so, yes, I think we need more than one thread to discuss Borderlands. I revived this one, after talking to a administrator about it, because this one seemed to be the best thread for general discussions.

I've never had much luck with an Anarchy at long range. It's far too inaccurate at anything but short range for my tastes. I really don't like to run out of SMG ammo (since the SMG is my second favorite weapon, right behind the sniper rifle) to use it all on one opponent. Like you said, though, for the lulz. I've actually done that on a couple of occasions when I had ready access to a store so I could buy up some more ammo. I've found that the DA is the best weapon for taking out the Lance drones in the Knoxx DLC. Welll, make that the second best. My current Hunter has Bloodwing maxed out. I set Bloodwing for shock (using a Level 3 artifact) to take out the first drone's shield so I could chew it up with his DA and Bloodwing surprised the holy hell out of me by taking down the drone in one hit! This bird is now my primary close-range backup, with my shotgun and DA playing second fiddle with this character. It basically one-shots almost everything except the badass opponents, now, and on a couple of occasions I've seen it take out a badass Bruiser two levels above me with one hit. The more I play this Rogue build the more I like it.

I'm in lock-step with you regarding combat rifles. I've played the Soldier once and specialized in combat rifles with him, but other than that I'm just not fond of them. I'll pass up almost any elemental CR, regardless of its stats, but will look for the one that deals out the maximum damage per second that I can find. It has to have a good scope and I avoid those with burst fire. Basically, my CR is going to be my back-up sniper for when I run out of sniper ammo. I will use a Cobra as a primary CR, at least until I can find a good Stomper, even though it's a burst fire weapon because of its accuracy, though. I'll buy a CR as soon as I can (the game just doesn't seem to drop them for me at first) so I can complete the 12 Days of Pandora challenge, but after that I rarely ever use one with anyone but my Soldier.

ub3rman123

• I imagine you can get through the new DLC handily enough without having to play through the entire main quest line. You couldn't do it with a beginning character, though. Of that I'm pretty sure. My guess is that you should be at least level 20 to tackle it, and it really doesn't take that long to level up to that point. And before you ask, no, you don't want my Soldier. This is, by far, the weakest of all my current characters because the game has been really rotten in dropping good gear for him, and I think he's only around level 10. I don't have access to my old character's save games right now so I can't give you any specifics. I'm sure someone else has a much better solution for you.

Thor

• I'd really be interested to know what SMG can possibly have a 720 damage. Were you playing with friends and one of them might have dropped a modded weapon? That seems to happen all too frequently, and then people brag about their great weapons, post the stats, and then people who know what the game can drop jump all over them about it. On the other hand, it's pretty iffy trying to drop a weapon into a chest so that it looks like it spawned there. I'm not accusing you of having a modded weapon, understand -- just covering the bases. It could be you're at level 70, for instance, and the game coughs up weapons that good. I don't see stuff like Vindekarr has been talking about, for instance, because my best character is only at level 48. Another factor could be that you're in PT2. I'm still in PT1 with Knoxx and really haven't found much, there, that I haven't already seen, elsewhere. Yes, I farm the Developers Chest, so I'm getting some good stuff from that -- I make it a habit to visit that chest once every time in the vicinity. Whatever that SMG is, though, I want one.

Just you wait till patch 1.41 comes out, all your complaints will be updates and patched, the game will be revamped and a Higher level cap of 70.

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=113350

To get around the lack of ammo issue try farming the vendor before at the front of the entrance in that little building, it has class mods available, try searching for one that regenerates smg ammo. Problem solved. Restart and look, if not available continue process.

Or try leveling up a few levels higher if you have dlc, and start from there. Depending on the level of npc you can reach level 25 in Zombie island or Clap trap revolution.