CTD when trying to leave first sewers

Inafog

The game played perfectly during the whole trek to the final gate, then boom--CTD and an unhelpful error message.

I'm playing on a new computer with an Nvidia 760 card, so I think I have enough power. I'm using about 20 mods, the biggest of which are Francesco's, BT Mod, and Immersive Interface. I "tested" all these mods on my old, slow computer and did not have any CTD problems (although I did not add some of them until well after I was into the game).

I have of course looked up this problem on Google--it's not unique--but there are so many suggested solutions that I just wonder if any wise men can suggest the most likely cure. I certainly hope I don't have to delete and reinstall everything--much as I want to play Oblivion again, I may not have the stamina for that. (I am not a whiz at computers, as you probably guessed. I am not using Wrye Bash. I installed almost all the mods with good 'ol NMM, and, as I say, they worked together well on my antique machine. I had hoped they would do the same on the new one.)

Thanks much for any words of wisdom you can give to this elderly gamer. (By cracky, when Arena came out, ya just put the floppies in the machine and played the dang thing. And if there wuz any of them durned patches, Bethesda mailed 'em to ya in an envelope. Now excuse me while I go find my cane...) :blush:

Best advice I've ever seen is pretty simple ... don't start installing mods until your character has left the sewers.

I'll admit, that advice is a bit outdated in light of mods like Oblivion Character Overhaul v2 (that will need to be active before character creation ... either that or you need to know how to use the showracemenu console command without having your stats reset). OCOv2 needs Blockhead, which requires OBSE v21 so my amended version of the old school advice is only install what is absolutely necessary before your character leaves the sewers. Then install mods one at a time (or along with their required mods) and test thoroughly in between.

I use Multiple Oblivion Manager - MOM to keep individual profiles for different characters and for mod testing. It's very helpful to have a MOM profile with a character save from just before you exit the sewer. I can use that profile to create new characters and profiles without redoing the tutorial each time. If I want I can create a clone of a current character's profile (which includes all of the current load order for that character) and use that cloned profile to test a mod or group of mods while keeping my character's profile safe from unexpected unpleasantness.

All MOM requires is ample hard drive space and a willingness to utilize it's benefits.

Well, I turned off (unclicked in NMM) Francesco's several components, and voila! I left the sewers! I re-clicked all the Francesco components.The game then crashed a few minutes later. I reloaded, and have had no further problems yet. (I probably will, but so far so good.)

Later this evening, after about an hour of successful play, the game did freeze for no apparent reason--just while my character was walking around outside. Now I'll try to see if I can prevent this from happening.