Converting hairstyles: Sims 3/Oblivion

Transmutator

Hello, everyone.

I'm having a bit of a problem here regarding conversions and thought I'd ask around to see if anyone could assist me in any way. Not exactly sure if this is in the correct topic so feel free to move or delete this if it isn't. I'm certain that this has been asked countless times before so I apologize for any inconveniences that this may cause. I've been messing around with the Sims 3 Package Editor for a while now seeing as I was planning on converting some Sims 3 hairstyles to my Oblivion for personal use. If I managed to get permission from the original creators, I'd be happy to release some additional hair packs for the community.

I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a tutorial on how to do this. I've roamed Google and thus far, I have been unsuccessful at locating anything with the exception of this site which is in Chinese. Babelfish has been of no help at all unfortunately and to be honest, I'm unsure as to whether the first blog post on that particular page is a tutorial on conversions. If by any chance, there is anyone out there that could translate the basis of that one post, then it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

It is in fact a tutorial, but Google's translations are to bad to understand any of it for me at the moment (my brains are melted, Sithis is trying to toast me)

I do hope you will do some male stuff ;]

Thanks for the quick responses, guys!

That is precisely what I'm looking for, Savage. I will most definitely be working on converting some new hairs for males as I've felt a little disappointed at the lack of content for the guys. It's just a matter of being able to get in contact with the original creator but as soon as I have permission, I will try to widen the variety of hairstyles - be it more realistic or anime/manga themed - for both genders.

Thank you once again for the assistance, everyone~ I'll get straight to work!

this site which is in Chinese

Actually, it's Japanese. Just saying.

Also, while you may have a link to my (crappy) tutorial, Kogane's made a much more awesome one (incidentally, I think the one on Vanilla Village is the SAME as Kogane's...). AFAIK it's available on TES Adventures. If I'm correct and it IS there, then I highly recommend using that one instead of my own.

...Furthermore, I'm going to ask Kogane for permission to put that tutorial on my site (with credits, of course) to make it easier to find.

• 1 month later...

I finally had some freetime to mess around with Blender and attempt to convert a hair. I must be doing something wrong however as I am unable to get the UV Map to work. I'm wondering if any of you Blender-friendly users could assist me with this. Although I am not too familiar with the program myself, I have spent a bit of time getting used to the interface.

I had a read of both DesuChan and Kogane's tutorial and I am unable to split the UV parts into individual ones and move them about so that the hair texture is linked to the mesh. If someone would be able to direct me to an article as such on how to move or unlink parts of a UV Map, I would be very grateful. I'm going to kick myself if this turns out to be the most simple thing do as I have spent hours on this.

Here is a screencap that I have taken. The entire map seems to be linked. Anyone know how to move the parts onto Ren's texture? I apologize in advance for my terrible lack of Blender lingo. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

did you like unravel everything? because that's what it looks like. to move individual piece on the UV map while everything is de-selected, you right click the piece you want to move. then press ctrl + L. should turn yellow, from there you can grab, rotate, scale just that piece you want.

I fallowed the guide also myself and i got the texture and mesh into the game but the hair is not in the right place, it's like under the chin :( well i guess i have to start my own thread for help

did you like unravel everything? because that's what it looks like. to move individual piece on the UV map while everything is de-selected, you right click the piece you want to move. then press ctrl + L. should turn yellow, from there you can grab, rotate, scale just that piece you want.

I fallowed the guide also myself and i got the texture and mesh into the game but the hair is not in the right place, it's like under the chin :( well i guess i have to start my own thread for help

Man, I feel pretty silly. Thank you very much for the help, Kam! I guess you learn new things everyday.

After a (bit) of messing around with Blender, I managed to link together the hair mesh and the given texture. When I imported the mesh into NifSkope however, my hair mesh became pixellated and I haven't been able to find a way to correct it thus far. In DesuChan's tutorial, it stated that there is a chance that if your mesh has an alpha channel - which this one does - pieces of the hair may become invisible. I've tried altering the NiAlphaProperty like it said but it hasn't yielded the best of results. To be honest, nothing has changed.

I did however receive some different results when I used a different mesh altogether, using the same method of conversion so I'm thinking that the mesh is maybe corrupt or something. I managed to get to this stage before wondering if there is a way to smooth out the edges like I see in so many other hairs. I know that it has something to do with the alpha. What I don't know is, how to make use of the original Sims textures instead of using Ren's all the time since those textures don't seem to work for me. Anyone know how to make the edges less 'square?' I'm so close to the end which is helping to keep me motivated but there always seems to be some kind of problem.

I must sound like a real newbie for inquiring about all this. Guh, sorry for the hassle, guys. I'll get it done someday!