Morrowind on Win 7

jtoth

I had trouble starting the game on Win 7 getting this cursed "snowflake" error messages. Copying the Data folders from the Tribunal and Bloodmoon disks did not help either. When I started the game what I got were this large yellow blobs instead of characters (at the generation screen) and the game crashed when I stepped out of the office door. After that I looked again at Bethesda and Microsoft, nothing avail. Microsoft does not list Morrowind under Win 7 supported games. Probably never will.

What I did in desperation is I uninstalled the game (again), went into Regedit and deleted all Morrowind entries. There are a lot.

Installed again and before starting it up I set Morrowind to run under XP (SP2). And it run. No more snow flakes.

What I did so far is installed Better Bodies and Better Heads, and they work. Mods which install like Better Bodies I also set to run under XP (SP2) in the folder on the desktop before installation. With the heads I just put them into their respective folders. So far so good. This is also goes for The Wilderness Mod + Giants.

And may be someone will learn from my wasted money: XP mode in Win 7's Virtual Machine is a, well it is not usable from the gaming point of view. There is a hidden little sentence at the Microsoft site which says that it is for "Productivity Softwares". And it is. Saying it there but not in the magazines or at the stores. It fixes your screen resolution (slightly lower than your actual) and at the Option screen you cannot change it. It just blued out, empty. Nothing you can do. As for Morrowind, you cannot even start it since the given "Virtual" desktop is not compatibile with the game.

And a final remark. Do you remember when XP came out after Win 95 and 98 and you had a resonable stable system? And it was compatibile backward and forward. And if you got a new hard drie you could activate it? I did it probably 3 or 4 times. Those days are gone. With regards jtoth

That's strange. Because I have Windows 7 and I can run it fine. All I did was install in outside the Program Files folder and ran it in compatibility mode.

I don't know why you're having problems, but have you tried asking on the official forums?

Yeah, I installed it outside program files, and it ran fine without even needing to be in compatibility/administrator mode. I had some problems getting MGE working, but other than that, it was fine.

And yeah, as a rule of thumb, VMs are not good for gaming, full stop. Since they basically have to create an entire virtual graphics card to map all the functions of the real one to the VM, the developers don't normally bother with much more than is necessary to run the majority of programs. Sadly games aren't normally a priority.

Saying that, Microsoft Virtual Machine is one of the worst. I'd recommend VMWare instead.