ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Should Be Simple, Drop Confirmation

journe

This should be a pretty simple mod to make, I would think... It seems that rightclicking an inventory item drops it automatically. My hands tend to twitch a bit, which leads to accidentally dropping things. And it seems like they always end up somehow traveling to areas I can't find them, or just disappearing in general.

Can somebody possibly make a mod for me, which just adds a yes/no confirmation before actually dropping an item? It'd be much appreciated.

I know there's a quantity thing for dropping multiples, so it could possibly just be as simple as causing the quantity to show up for all items, even if you only have one. This is assuming it's possible to cancel dropping when there's a quantity.

This should be a pretty simple mod to make, I would think... It seems that rightclicking an inventory item drops it automatically. My hands tend to twitch a bit, which leads to accidentally dropping things. And it seems like they always end up somehow traveling to areas I can't find them, or just disappearing in general.

Can somebody possibly make a mod for me, which just adds a yes/no confirmation before actually dropping an item? It'd be much appreciated.

I know there's a quantity thing for dropping multiples, so it could possibly just be as simple as causing the quantity to show up for all items, even if you only have one. This is assuming it's possible to cancel dropping when there's a quantity.

I only know of how to do it for individual items. It would take forever to do it for them all.

Doing it for all isn't really needed, just on an individual level. Also, I stand corrected, a mod is needed to add the quantity drop.

Edit: A mod that already exists adds quantity drop. I should probably make that clear, since that's not what I need. Just the yes/no on dropping.

Honestly this mod would get little use... you'd get tired of the "Are you sure? Y/N" just as tired as you get from accidentally dropping items. I propose you remap the right click to something else less annoying, like VATS or maybe reload.

Honestly this mod would get little use... you'd get tired of the "Are you sure? Y/N" just as tired as you get from accidentally dropping items. I propose you remap the right click to something else less annoying, like VATS or maybe reload.

I'm not sure you can remap the rightclick to not drop things...the only remapping options I have are for the "action" keys. Moving, shooting, that sort of thing.

I'm not sure you can remap the rightclick to not drop things...the only remapping options I have are for the "action" keys. Moving, shooting, that sort of thing.

How about using a external utility to do it? I use a utility called "X-Mouse Button Control" to remap some of the extra buttons on my mouse when under programs that I've specified. I was going to suggest using such a utility to essentially swap the right mouse button with the middle mouse button. I just tried it, and while I was able to successfully remap the middle mouse button, I couldn't do so with the right mouse button. Fallout 3 always read it as the right mouse button. You might be able to pull it off with a different remapping utility. I would actually suggest an alternative route of using different hardware if this is a serious problem and you really want to work around it. A friend of mine has a keyboard with a built-in touchpad, complete with mouse buttons. If you use something like that and maybe a single button mouse, a mouse where the right mouse button has been physically disabled, something along those lines. Your mouse won't have a right mouse button you can accidentally hit, but should you need such a button (like to drop items,) you can use the mouse button on the keyboard. There are variations on that you can go with, like just plugging in a second mouse and using the buttons on that. The central idea is just that your main mouse will either not have a right button or it has one but it's disabled. I can check with my friend to see what model of keyboard he uses, if you want, but I've seen several that feature a built-in touchpad.

Also, you mention that there is a quantity drop mod for Fallout 3. I didn't turn up anything on it in a quick google search, but maybe you could contact that mod's author and see if he/she would be willing to release a version that extends the quantity drop query message to also appear when dropping items of which you possess only a single one. Imagine the quantity popup, though the slider is stuck at "1." If that is possible, that could give you a bit of a safeguard against dropping lone items.