Change NPC hairstyle with FO3Edit?

Corehound

Hey every1 :thumbsup:

Any1 know if it is possible to use FO3Edit as an easy way to change hair on NPCs?

When I open up all the needed plugins, I can see both the FormID for the vanilla hairstyle of the NPC, and also the one I want to use, but when I add it as an override, no changes will take place :confused:

I have noticed that there is also something called "LNAM - Hair length" which I am not sure whether or not I need to change aswell, but in any case I would still assume I'd see some kind of change in-game even if I didn't change this part of the plugin at first :mellow:

Any1 have any suggestions?

Oh btw, the hair I am trying to use is from the "HairPack" mod, not sure if it's relevant or not to mention :happy:

With best regards

Corehound

"Cry havoc and let slip the Corehound of war!"

uh hair length, height, weight, ect is all pretty safe to just set them at 1.00 if yer not sure. You don't need an override to do this, perse.. If I was going to do it I'd just "copy as overide into" on the NPC data, put it in hairpack. Then inside the NPC entry in hairpack, click once on the slot for hair, wait a second, click there again... This will bring up the interface for all available refrences that can be used in this spot. If you are lucky it will only show hairs, but it could show everything in both hairpack an fallout.esm as a entry. Works off A-Z too, so click it then once in the menu press a letter an it will jump to that spot. Hey it's hair so I pressed H, it jumps to hair or near it, hey it's calibr ammo, I press C it jumps there. Something liek that.

All that stuff is at the bottom of the NPC data, Face gen, skin tone, hair, beard, ect. You can do just as much with FO3edit as you can do with the GECK. The question is which way is more easy or which way is more safe.

uh hair length, height, weight, ect is all pretty safe to just set them at 1.00 if yer not sure. You don't need an override to do this, perse.. If I was going to do it I'd just "copy as overide into" on the NPC data, put it in hairpack. Then inside the NPC entry in hairpack, click once on the slot for hair, wait a second, click there again... This will bring up the interface for all available refrences that can be used in this spot. If you are lucky it will only show hairs, but it could show everything in both hairpack an fallout.esm as a entry. Works off A-Z too, so click it then once in the menu press a letter an it will jump to that spot. Hey it's hair so I pressed H, it jumps to hair or near it, hey it's calibr ammo, I press C it jumps there. Something liek that.

All that stuff is at the bottom of the NPC data, Face gen, skin tone, hair, beard, ect. You can do just as much with FO3edit as you can do with the GECK. The question is which way is more easy or which way is more safe.

Thx for the reply :thumbsup:

Basically I have that part down already, but for some reason the changes doesn't take effect, even when I sort the load-order so my override plugin I've created is loaded last, which was why I was beginning to have doubts about it even being possible to do it in this manner.

Could it be that another plugin has priority in some way, even though it is loaded before my changes? :wacko:

As I understand it the load-order will ALWAYS determine which changes will take effect in-game, but I'm not sure what else I could be missing, I've even run the error check in FO3Edit, and my override came out clean as a whistle :tongue:

Any other suggestions or advise would be much appreciated :happy:

With best regards

Corehound

Any1 know if it is possible to use FO3Edit as an easy way to change hair on NPCs?

When I open up all the needed plugins, I can see both the FormID for the vanilla hairstyle of the NPC, and also the one I want to use, but when I add it as an override, no changes will take place :confused:

I have noticed that there is also something called "LNAM - Hair length" which I am not sure whether or not I need to change aswell, but in any case I would still assume I'd see some kind of change in-game even if I didn't change this part of the plugin at first :mellow:

Oh btw, the hair I am trying to use is from the "HairPack" mod, not sure if it's relevant or not to mention :happy:

With best regards

Corehound

So you have hairpack.esm, and your esp loaded in FO3Edit. Your esp is below hairpack. You pick an NPC in the hairpack mod, right-click, copy-as-over-ride, pick your esp to copy to. If you haven't done so already, you will be prompted to add Hairpack.esm as a master - you will wan't to say yes. Then you go to the NPC record just copied in your esp, down to HNAM - Hair. Click once on that field, then hit F2 (or yes I want to edit popup) - then you will have the drop down to select whatever hair is available for the race that the NPC is. Hair length is ignored in FO3.

Unless some script is doing a matchrace or other swapping of the particular NPC you are trying to change, your NPC will have the new hair as long as your esp is loaded after any other changes to this NPC. If you are trying to change a variable NPC - well they all spawn as random anyway.

With best regards

Corehound

So you have hairpack.esm, and your esp loaded in FO3Edit. Your esp is below hairpack. You pick an NPC in the hairpack mod, right-click, copy-as-over-ride, pick your esp to copy to. If you haven't done so already, you will be prompted to add Hairpack.esm as a master - you will wan't to say yes. Then you go to the NPC record just copied in your esp, down to HNAM - Hair. Click once on that field, then hit F2 (or yes I want to edit popup) - then you will have the drop down to select whatever hair is available for the race that the NPC is. Hair length is ignored in FO3.

Unless some script is doing a matchrace or other swapping of the particular NPC you are trying to change, your NPC will have the new hair as long as your esp is loaded after any other changes to this NPC. If you are trying to change a variable NPC - well they all spawn as random anyway.

Hmm... That's basically what I've done, but for some reason it doesn't take effect :confused:

But another thing I was wondering about could effect this is, if there is another mod that will make changes to the same NPC, lets say Lucy West, will you then have to make an override copy of that as well? or will any Lucy West override loaded last take priority no matter what? I would assume it does, but I might as well ask since that's basically the only thing left I can think of that might cause the changes to not take effect :tongue:

With best regards

Corehound

Whatever is changing Lucy West last, is what wins.

Just run Fo3Edit and let it load all your mod list. Then go to the NPC - Lucy west, and you will see all the mods that make changes to her and in what order they do so.

Whatever is changing Lucy West last, is what wins.

Just run Fo3Edit and let it load all your mod list. Then go to the NPC - Lucy west, and you will see all the mods that make changes to her and in what order they do so.

Hmm... think I might need to give my mod list a cleaning, and give it another try, I must have something bugging it up, cause it's still not working :tongue:

In any case thx for the assistance :thumbsup:

With best regards

Corehound