Dragon Age constant 100% CPU usage!

dawg15

Hi,

i have 60% / 80% / 90% / 60% (attachment, from everest sidebar). My settings are at maximum. So i think DA is consuming a lot of power and if you have "only" two cores it will be at 100%. I don't think it will cause problems if you have a load of 100% for a few hours. The main problem is the temperature, but if there is a problem with overheating the CPU should lower the clock or turning itself off.

Very true on the overheating, and that can be adjusted in the BIOS when the computer first boots up. The minumum shutdown temp varies with each motherboard, so I can only give a range at what temps I have seen. The lowest minumum shutdown temp I have seen is 50C, and the most common is 60C. (I have built or helped build about 20 computers over the past 10 years)

Hi,

sorry, have forgotten to press the attach file button.

@danscott:

Isn't there a shut down temperature implanted inside the cpu to prevent damage?

Btw, i think the more important thing in this are the temps of the graphic card. This ones are higher than the cpu and there is no self shut down.

Hi,

sorry, have forgotten to press the attach file button.

@danscott:

Isn't there a shut down temperature implanted inside the cpu to prevent damage?

Btw, i think the more important thing in this are the temps of the graphic card. This ones are higher than the cpu and there is no self shut down.

Yes, it's usually only stated in the documantation though, with the chip. BIOS still has the shutdown protocol since BIOS is the motherboard software. As for the processor self shutting down I would have to ask my old college roommate. He's the one that helped me start building my own computers, and works IT for a top 500 company. Something makes me think that the processor however shuts down when the BIOS says to shutdown. And that 80C temp is way hot. Have you ever smelled anything like ozone when your computer runs that hot? (same smell as a supercharger on a car)

Ok, I see process "A rendszer uresja" running at 99% of the cpu. What is that process that is running? Most of the others are Windows programs except SmartDoctor which looks like a program for the motherboard. 3 gb of RAM and the game requires 1 gb, so you are ok there. However, that one process running at 99%, not sure what that is. Does it run all of the time? The toolbar at the bottom does not look like it's DA, but not knowing the language I cannot tell for sure.

"A rendszer uresja" is "System Idle Proccess" so it's nothing i think. And Smart Doctor is for the VGA fan. I realised that after playing and the temp was like 110°C (250°K). WIthout that the fan doesnt even budge.

Anyway it think the apps are okay because i really cleaned it up.

"A rendszer uresja" is "System Idle Proccess" so it's nothing i think. And Smart Doctor is for the VGA fan. I realised that after playing and the temp was like 110°C (250°K). WIthout that the fan doesnt even budge.

Anyway it think the apps are okay because i really cleaned it up.

Uh, I don't know how any electronics on a computer can reach over the boiling point of water before literally exploding...

Are you certain it was 110 C? Because, no computer part can reach that easily.

You may want to check your fans. In fact, I suggest getting new ones. I'm just shocked.

I'm not an expert though, but I do know enough to know computers rarely go above 70C without an underlining problem.

And over 100C? No electronic parts on a computer can stand that temperature for very long.

In other news, it looks as though your computer is attempting cold Fusion. :)

Uh, I don't know how any electronics on a computer can reach over the boiling point of water before literally exploding...

Are you certain it was 110 C? Because, no computer part can reach that easily.

You may want to check your fans. In fact, I suggest getting new ones. I'm just shocked.

I'm not an expert though, but I do know enough to know computers rarely go above 70C without an underlining problem.

And over 100C? No electronic parts on a computer can stand that temperature for very long.

In other news, it looks as though your computer is attempting cold Fusion. :)

Well, it only happened once, now i know i need that lame smart doctor for the fan. And when it reached 100°C it was summer and the fan was off. Since then its working fine.

Which fan? The computer fan? Because they aren't supposed to be off ever. :)

Yeah, even if it only happened one time, I'd still be weary.

So, was that screenshot you posted above, the one with the temperatures and all that from that one time when your GPU hit 110 C?

Also, 28 A? 28 Amperage?

That's what 28,000 times what it takes to kill you? It's like 1 milla-amps or something.

Hi,

no worry with the GPU VRM. This temp isn't the gpu itself, vrm means voltage reminder, they are always very hot. They can have up to 120°C, so 100 or 80°C in my case is okay.