[quest stuck] Kill the leader of Gallows Rock

2ndWind

I was in Windhelm, at the docks. From a ship captain I got a quest to go kill the leader of the bad guys at Gallows Rock.

At Gallows Rock are the Silver Hand people. And I had killed these guys a long time ago (many game *months* ago) during a quest for the Companions.

So now I have killed everyone again, including who looked like the leader of the gang... but the quest marker is pointing straight at the ground where nothing is, instead of marking anybody specific. And the quest won't advance.
I've shouted the Aura Whisper all over the place to reveal if anybody is stuck into a wall. Found nobody.

Looks broken to me. Is there a workaround?

No luck.

I have 2 kill-the-leader quests:

#1 -- Kill the leader of Uttering Hills Cave

#2 -- Kill the leader of Gallows Rock

(both quests received in Windhelm)

Any use I make of the 'setstage' command affects #1 only.

As for #2, after clearing the place I stayed away for a month to let them respawn. Then I stormed the place anew and killed everybody, again. But the quest marker continues to stubbornly point at the ground.

I also learned that the Ref Id of the Gallows Rock leader to kill is "2516D". Just to try something, I have resurrected and killed him/her many times. Not once did the quest marker point at him/her.

Last note is for the USKP.

I have it already (logged nearly 500 play-hours with it). And it is correctly installed.

..... Or so I thought.

You said it should prevent my bug, But it isn't doing it in my game.

How do I know if I made a mistake with the patch?

Anyways, have you tried finishing the first kill the leader quest first?

I have. It didn't help with the use of the 'setstage' command.

I'm not familiar with tes5edit.

But now I've read a bit about it, and I understand what you mean by 'to clean'. For the record: I didn't clean my mods.

If I'm not asking an idiotic question I would inquire about why the mods are not clean already?

----------

:confused: I must leave this topic be for a while. My gfx card has defective fans and I had to return it since it's still covered by warranty.

i'm using an ancient nVidia 9800 GTX at the moment, and she can't handle Skyrim without melting.

I'll necro this thread once I can play again. Bookmark it, ok?

Anyways, have you tried finishing the first kill the leader quest first?

I have. It didn't help with the use of the 'setstage' command.

I'm not familiar with tes5edit.

But now I've read a bit about it, and I understand what you mean by 'to clean'. For the record: I didn't clean my mods.

If I'm not asking an idiotic question I would inquire about why the mods are not clean already?

----------

:confused: I must leave this topic be for a while. My gfx card has defective fans and I had to return it since it's still covered by warranty.

i'm using an ancient nVidia 9800 GTX at the moment, and she can't handle Skyrim without melting.

I'll necro this thread once I can play again. Bookmark it, ok?

Lots of people forget to clean their mods before releasing, simply complacency or being lazy.

• 2 months later...

!!! NECRO !!!!

(as promised)

R.I.P. my GeForce GTX 770 2GB. After one month and two weeks of wait I get notified that my card is beyond hope and I'm offered a full refund. I grab the refund and buy with it a GTX 970 4GB. The 970 costs me less than the 770 did and with the saved money I'll purchase the warranty extension.

So... I can play Skyrim again.

And my problem with the quest pointer glued to the ground *stands*.

With my GeForce 9800 GTX I could play Oblivion real good. In this time I learned of Wrye Bash, of bashed patches, and of the benefits of playing with 'clean' mods.

Those are all things I have not done with Skyrim, ever. That is: no Wrye Bash, no bashed patch, and no clean mods.
Guess I'm mighty lucky that I could play for 497h 14m 13s without trouble (barring the occasional flying mammoth! But hey it's an RPG -- extravagant beasts are accounted for).

But now I do have trouble, and I'm told that the USKP should fix/prevent this specific issue I'm having.

Well, it's not.

I wanted to try the new USKP 2.0.8, clean my mods, and make a bashed patch to see if this could fix my problem (or otherwise ensure that the USKP would apply properly)... but then I've read that any change you make to mods will only end up baking more problems into the savegame. <-- Arthmoor's words, more or less.

I'm on the fence. What should I do?

I'd rather not trash 500 hours of my time. But if it's inevitable, then I'd like to know how to ensure that it won't happen again.

Edited by 2ndWind

My suggestion is simple. Install USKP 2.0.8 and wait (or sleep) 31 days. Go back and clear Gallows Rock again.

Installed patch 2.0.8a and waited. No luck :sad:

I made 2 attempts.

I noticed two small differences.

1) The first time I re-visited Gallows Rock after placing patch 2.0.8a, I noticed that the place had respawned _completely_, including the 2 or 3 patches of fungi that refused to do so up to this point. The second time, though, the place didn't respawn as thoroughly.

and 2) the quest marker no longer points straight at the ground, now it's placed mid-air, I'd say at about head-height, as if an NPC was there under it.

Other than that... again I can kill the leader all I want, but the marker won't move.

Do you have other ideas?